Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There Credible Evidence for UFOs?

Is There Credible Evidence for UFOs?

From Scott S. Smith Book - God Reconsidered

Chapter Two

Have Extra-Terrestrials Visited the Earth?

Most people take a moderate position on whether any of the often-reported sightings of unidentified flying objects (UFOs) are evidence that extraterrestrials (ETs) have visited the earth. The concept is not so far-fetched to be dismissed out of hand, even if some of the particular accounts strain credibility.
    But with its usual sweeping and authoritative arrogance, the Jan.-Feb. 2009 issue of Skeptical Inquirer was devoted to asserting that the phenomenon was entirely based on human gullibility, misperception, and mental illness. The leading expert on UFOs for the past three decades for the publisher, the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry, Robert Scheaffer, wrote the main article, which attempted to dismiss tens of thousands of sightings from around the world.
    According to his view, the first wave of these delusions in 1947 to 1973 was due to a combination of natural phenomena or normal aircraft. The expectation that there would be something unusual in the sky was contagious, he wrote, so there were many claims, but no convincing evidence ever emerged that any of these were alien craft.
    With regard to that early era, I do not have room here to go into the debate about the famous, alleged 1947 saucer crash at Roswell, N.M. Those who are interested in how skeptics misrepresent what happened should read UFO Crash at Roswell by Kevin Randle, a former Air Force intelligence officer, and Don Schmitt, a respected field investigator for the scientifically-oriented Center for UFO Studies.
    There was also another type of wave 1966-1995, wrote Scheaffer, when believers focused on alleged abductions of humans by aliens. He argued that this was similar to the allegations of “recovered memories” in the same period that supposedly revealed widespread molestation of young people by satanic cults or daycare workers.
    The subject of alien abductions would require another lengthy discussion of complicated evidence, but it is worth noting that some eminent scientists and psychiatrists do agree that whatever the phenomenon is, it is worth serious study. If you want a disturbing analysis written for skeptics, try Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind by investigative journalist C.D.B. Bryan.
    Schaeffer asserted that there are simple explanations for mass sightings, such as those of the many huge craft that supposedly hovered over Phoenix, Ariz., in 1997 (he claims these were just flares dropped by a National Guard unit).
    Scheaffer made two arguments that underlie his need to distort the facts to fit his theories. One is that the U.S. and other governments would have to be involved in a conspiracy to cover up these phenomena, but since governments are unable to keep secrets, this is just paranoia.

Rest of story at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...57a03d?ref=yfp
    Last edited by Dragonfire; 11-12-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...57a03d?ref=yfp

What a crock!!

I wonder what the incentive was for this piece of disinformation?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wansen View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...57a03d?ref=yfp

What a crock!!

I wonder what the incentive was for this piece of disinformation?
    Kind of a sweeping statement.
    Was there any particular point(s) that you took exception too?
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Kind of a sweeping statement.
    Was that any particular point(s) that you took exception too?
    My bad, I should have clarified.

I was referring to the Skeptical Inquirer's assertion that the phenomenon is "entirely based on human gullibility".

Apologies for the misunderstanding. I've got what my Grandpa would have called "a chapped ass" due to the election results.

Might be time for a self-imposed time out.

In terms of evidence, the best that I have seen so far is in Peter Sturrocks' works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpilleater View Post
    In terms of evidence, the best that I have seen so far is in Peter Sturrocks' works.
    Hi Redpilleater. This post is two year old. Necroposting seldom results in reply, but I'll bite.
    Hate to age myself, but I seem to recall my freshman year at university (early to mid-70s) Professor Sturrock made waves taking exception to the Condon Report.
    Obviouly been awhile, but something about contrary to their finding the UFO issue was unworthy of continued research, he felt the data supported ongoing investigation.

Was there any specific works of his that you found particularly informative?
    Attachment 1008

For those skeptics I say even past inventors were ridiculed and now we're using their invention like Tesla etc.. This subject is on same list.

FWIW, this is an article I published way back in 2006 on the available evidence for an ET presence:
    http://www.exopoliticssouthafrica.org/et_presence.htm
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    FWIW, this is an article I published way back in 2006 on the available evidence for an ET presence:
    http://www.exopoliticssouthafrica.org/et_presence.htm
    Appears the paper has held up well over the years.
    Other than use of the term "contactees" vs the more modern "experiencers", it could have been written yesterday.
    Can't help but wonder if the pie charts (types of alien species observed, by country) has held steady over the years.
    Nice job Garuda.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Appears the paper has held up well over the years.
    Other than use of the term "contactees" vs the more modern "experiencers", it could have been written yesterday.
    Can't help but wonder if the pie charts (types of alien species observed, by country) has held steady over the years.
    Nice job Garuda.
    Thanks.

The term 'experiencer' is typically used as a more neutral term for both contactees and abductees.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin