Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Predictions for 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

Posting the following to use as reference:
    4.0–4.9 Light IV to VI Noticeable shaking of indoor objects and rattling noises. Felt by most people in the affected area. Slightly felt outside. Generally causes none to minimal damage. Moderate to significant damage very unlikely. Some objects may fall off shelves or be knocked over. 10,000 to 15,000 per year
    5.0–5.9 Moderate VI to VII Can cause damage of varying severity to poorly constructed buildings. At most, none to slight damage to all other buildings. Felt by everyone. 1,000 to 1,500 per year
    6.0–6.9 Strong VIII to X Damage to a moderate number of well-built structures in populated areas. Earthquake-resistant structures survive with slight to moderate damage. Poorly designed structures receive moderate to severe damage. Felt in wider areas; up to hundreds of miles/kilometers from the epicenter. Strong to violent shaking in epicentral area. 100 to 150 per year
    7.0–7.9 Major X or greater[17] Causes damage to most buildings, some to partially or completely collapse or receive severe damage. Well-designed structures are likely to receive damage. Felt across great distances with major damage mostly limited to 250 km from epicenter. 10 to 20 per year
    8.0–8.9 Great Major damage to buildings, structures likely to be destroyed. Will cause moderate to heavy damage to sturdy or earthquake-resistant buildings. Damaging in large areas. Felt in extremely large regions. One per year
    9.0 and greater At or near total destruction – severe damage or collapse to all buildings. Heavy damage and shaking extends to distant locations. Permanent changes in ground topography.

The moderate quakes start at 5 mag. The media often calls EQ's in the 4.0's mods (low mod) too but technically those ones are in the 'Light' range according to the Ritcher scale.
    Last edited by A99; 09-25-2017 at 11:05 PM.
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Update: Since last Saturday when the Guardian made the prediction about an EQ coming up in 'San Francisco', there have been 5 low mod. EQ's in San Francisco del Mar MX (4.8 one yesterday) and one mod, 5.7 mag that was first reported to have occurred there but then they changed that and said that it occurred in the municipality that's directly next door to San Francisco MX.
    Within the course of the last 6 days, a cluster of EQ's in the 4's and 5's have occurred in San Francisco del Mar and its adjacent municipalities. Currently, that area continue's to be an active EQ hotspot.

Note: San Francisco MX and San Francisco del Mar MX used to be one municipality but they then became 2 separate one's. One is directly on the ocean and the other one is above it with no coastline.
    HTML Code:
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Here's a screenshot of the interactive USGS map showing those area's that have had 4.5 mag and above EQ's over the past 7 days. As you can see, the only area for that is in the San Francisco del Mar/San Francisco area, and its adjacent municipalities, in MX. Note:There have been no 4.5 mag and above EQ's on the US mainland in the last 7 days, or for that matter, anywhere else in MX either.

HTML Code:
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Since 2017 is almost at a close I guess I'll rate my predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    For 2017 there will likely be more terror attacks - possibly even in the US. This will likely result in hostility and possible violence against refugees.
    Temperatures will also rise, though hopefully we will be able to reverse the trend soon.
    On a scientific note some say that if there is a 9th planet it may be discovered as soon as 2018, it would be cool if they can find it.
    Well total number of terror attacks in 2017 does not seem to be any worse than that of 2016 so I guess that is good. As for terror attacks in the US, I'm not sure if the Vegas shooting was an act of terror or not. There was also that truck attack In New York that killed 8 people, but nothing else major in the US.
    For planet 9, we haven't found it yet, maybe in 2018?
    2017 seems to be the hottest year on record.

In the coming years I predict that America will become increasingly polarized, and also possibly engaged in another war, most likely in the middle east. Russia will be emboldened and possibly invade more countries that were formerly part of the USSR.
    The country does indeed seem to be more polarized, though at least we aren't at war yet though this whole situation with North Korea has me rather worried. Luckily Russia hasn't invaded anybody else yet.

With the roll back of financial regulations there may be another recession or crisis in the future, possibly even a depression worse than the one in the previous decade.
    No depression yet, hopefully the economy will remain strong, But with the appointment of Mulvaney to head the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau I'm rather worried.

There will likely be a rise in hate crimes, not only in America, but around the world as well.
    Waiting for the statistics for 2017 on this one, but in 2016 they certainly were up in America.

Also there will likely be more mass shootings in America, though hopefully nothing as bad as the Pulse Night club massacre.
    With 58 dead in the massacre in Vegas and another 26 in the church shootings in Texas the year 2017 may have been the deadliest year for mass shootings in modern US history.

Does anybody else wish to rate there predictions for the 2017?
    My inner Mulder wants to believe, but my inner Scully remains skeptical.

Waiting for the statistics for 2017 on this one, but in 2016 they certainly were up in America.
    Now that the statistics are in there was 17 percent rise in the number of hate crime incidents reported to the FBI in 2017.
    Last edited by Wally; 01-01-2019 at 05:22 AM.
    My inner Mulder wants to believe, but my inner Scully remains skeptical.