Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Health Crisis with a Spontaneous OBE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by A99 View Post
    Much food for thought indeed! Thanks for bringing this up and I plan on asking my doctor about an angiogram next time I see her. The only medication I normally take everyday are a couple of pills for high blood pressure but an angiogram would be the prudent thing to have, at least once a year or so.
    I think the "Angiogram" he is referring to is actually called a "Cardiac Catherization".
    A surgeon does a cut-down on your thigh to expose a major (Femoral) Vein.
    Inserts a catheter into the vein and thread it up to the heart, and injects radio opaque dye.
    The surgical team then watches/films the blood/dye on a real-time x-ray to determine which arteries show signs of restricted flow.
    If needed, stents can be inserted (through the cath) at this time.
    Or for more complete blockages where a stent just won't do, a CABG (crack the chest/perform open heart surgery) might be scheduled to repair/replace the occluded coronary artery.

AFAIK, Cardiac Cath is not considered a routine diagnostic.
    You can ask your doctor, but Doc will probably tell you it is reserved for ppl showing signs of cardiac distress.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    I think the "Angiogram" he is referring to is actually called a "Cardiac Catherization".
    A surgeon does a cut-down on your thigh to expose a major (Femoral) Vein.
    Inserts a catheter into the vein and thread it up to the heart, and injects radio opaque dye.
    The surgical team then watches/films the blood/dye on a real-time x-ray to determine which arteries show signs of restricted flow.
    If needed, stents can be inserted (through the cath) at this time.
    Or for more complete blockages where a stent just won't do, a CABG (crack the chest/perform heart surgery) might be scheduled to repair/replace the occluded coronary artery.

AFAIK, Cardiac Cath is not considered a routine diagnostic.
    You can ask your doctor, but Doc will probably tell you it is reserved for ppl showing signs of cardiac distress.

I should have mentioned that prior to being directed to the angiogram procedure, if there is any concern as to the condition to one's heart, most all will be subjected to what is called an exercise electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG). A test that checks for changes in your heart while you exercise. Sometimes EKG abnormalities can be seen only during exercise or while symptoms are present. This test is sometimes called a "stress test" or a "treadmill test." During an exercise EKG, you may either walk on a motor-driven treadmill or pedal a stationary bicycle.

An angiogram is an X-ray test that uses a special dye and camera (fluoroscopy) to take pictures of the blood flow in an artery (such as the aorta) or a vein (such as the vena cava). An angiogram can be used to look at the arteries or veins in the head, arms, legs, chest, back, or belly.

Common angiograms can look at the arteries near the heart (coronary angiogram), lungs (pulmonary angiogram), brain (cerebral angiogram), head and neck (carotid angiogram), legs or arms (peripheral), and the aorta (aortogram).

During an angiogram, a thin tube called a catheter is placed into a blood vessel in the groin (femoral artery or vein) or just above the elbow (brachial artery or vein). The catheter is guided to the area to be studied. Then an iodine dye (contrast material) is injected into the vessel to make the area show clearly on the X-ray pictures. This method is known as conventional or catheter angiogram. The angiogram pictures can be made into regular X-ray films or stored as digital pictures in a computer.
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/angiogram#1

I'm am old vamp cal... been around the block a few times wrt my educational and job background. I worked as an x-ray tech for a number of years and during my training in a certification program for that I observed and assisted with this procedure on a number of occasions. The pay was better than what I was getting as a social worker for the county when just out of college hence why I became a tech. to be able to pay for graphic arts training which was at a couple of very expensive schools.

I agree though that most likely my doctor will probably not give me a referral at this time but, nevertheless, I will run it by her to find out what I should be on the look out for that could indicate that I might need to have it done at some time in the future. I'm glad Mal brought it up.
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Albion-3D View Post

I should have mentioned that prior to being directed to the angiogram procedure, if there is any concern as to the condition to one's heart, most all will be subjected to what is called an exercise electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG). A test that checks for changes in your heart while you exercise. Sometimes EKG abnormalities can be seen only during exercise or while symptoms are present. This test is sometimes called a "stress test" or a "treadmill test." During an exercise EKG, you may either walk on a motor-driven treadmill or pedal a stationary bicycle.
    Complained to doc about shortness of breath, so got a Treadmill test last year. OMG. Faster and faster and steeper and steeper (tilt) for about 15 minutes.
    Passed but gulping air, like a fish out of water, by the end.
    I'm a swimmer, not a runner.
    Attachment 1008

Banned
    Complained to doc about shortness of breath, so got a Treadmill test last year. OMG. Faster and faster and steeper and steeper (tilt) for about 15 minutes.
    Cal, if you can run 15 mins on a slope treadmill, there's nothing wrong with you pumper. Good news!

Don't over-do it cowboy. A test is a test but in real life, you gradually work your way up to a level like that. You're not supposed to be wiped out like you were at the end of that exercise. Sure you passed, but at what risk? Be the discerning patient.
    HTML Code:
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by A99 View Post
    Don't over-do it cowboy. A test is a test but in real life, you gradually work your way up to a level like that. You're not supposed to be wiped out like you were at the end of that exercise. Sure you passed, but at what risk? Be the discerning patient.
    If it happens, I figured what better place to have a coronary than inside a hospital, with two RNs by my side, a dozen doctors in the building, and a crash cart in the room.

Happy to say, it did not come to that.
    Uncomfortable, but did PASS the stress test. No ECG abnormalities detected (did I mention I was wired up during this ordeal?).
    No Cardiac Catheterization procedure necessary. Thank goodness.

After the test, they did mention an alternative drug induced stress test.
    Shot of epinephrine to elevate heart rate. Didn't sound fun either.
    Attachment 1008

J*sus

As wiped out as you were after that first test, it's not surprising they brought up that additional test too. This said though, you went in because you were experiencing shortness of breath but when it comes to pulmonary stress tests ... be careful about pushing yourself too far.
    Last edited by A99; 02-02-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    HTML Code:
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Banned
    As long as your heart rate is reading normal and not low, I have had great experience with these so-called "Beta Blocker" drugs which I take 50mg a day and frankly has "levelled me out"...they are truly amazing drugs.