Thread: Two Anomalous-looking Features on Mars

Two Anomalous-looking Features on Mars

These two anomalies are in the same Mars Rover Opportunity photo, Sol day 4738. While each does appear to be anomalous there on the surface, neither of these looks common to anything I have seen before! They just look a little odd there on the surface!

What do you think?

Link to NASA Rover Opportunity photo: https://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mer/galler...P2434R2M1.HTML

Last edited by rdunk; 05-24-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Wow! They look like vehicle tracks. Good find! They definitely do not look like natural formations.
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Thanks for your comment A99!! Yes, probably are even the Rover"s tracks. They looked odd to me, because tracks are normally depressed in the sand, and these have a raised appearance, the way I see them.

As a comparison, here is a photo of Rover Opportunity's tracks which was taken a few days earlier. So, I think we can at least see enough similarity to deduce that these are anomalous to Mars, but not really anomalies, being "Rover-caused"!!

Link to the Rover track photo: https://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mer/galler...LP1786L0M1.JPG

Last edited by rdunk; 05-25-2017 at 03:59 AM.

It looks like the rover shifts sometimes (if not all the time for things seen at a distance) into shallow-focus mode bringing into sharper focus the most prominent object or features in the frame and softening the rest. You can especially see that in the first photo which makes those tracks look a bit like they're floating over the surface (3D-ish).
    Last edited by A99; 05-25-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

A99 said, "You can especially see that in the first photo which makes those tracks look a bit like they're floating over the surface (3D-ish)".

Yes, that is the reason I initially decided these were not "Rover tracks", and posted as being anomalous. But after seeing the actual tracks, and how they do have continuing similar variations as the Rover moves............well the Rover is right there in the area too, so it must have produced these similar-looking features on the surface. The piece of "tracks" (I guess) in the circle to me even look more odd, with what looks like some sort of rectangular length piece between the tracks - I will just assume that is another oddity of the Rover tracks in the sand vis a vis the photo results!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rdunk View Post
    A99 said, "You can especially see that in the first photo which makes those tracks look a bit like they're floating over the surface (3D-ish)".

Yes, that is the reason I initially decided these were not "Rover tracks", and posted as being anomalous. But after seeing the actual tracks, and how they do have continuing similar variations as the Rover moves............well the Rover is right there in the area too, so it must have produced these similar-looking features on the surface. The piece of "tracks" (I guess) in the circle to me even look more odd, with what looks like some sort of rectangular length piece between the tracks - I will just assume that is another oddity of the Rover tracks in the sand vis a vis the photo results!

The anomaly which you circled does have a very interesting aspect. Looking at the very corners, it does look to me to cast a shadow, most peculiar indeed.

Here's some clearer 3D image and a short video I produced that may shed some light.

Notice that very straight line over on the very left hand side....

Hi Mag

Last edited by M-Albion-3D; 05-28-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Albion-3D View Post
    The anomaly which you circled does have a very interesting aspect. Looking at the very corners, it does look to me to cast a shadow, most peculiar indeed.
    Yes MA3D, that is one of the features that caught my eye on this too. The way this rectangular piece is "pictured" in the photo, it does seem to have thickness and designed shape! But.......as your pics show, so do the "Rover tracks" in the photo. And, yes the "white line is a bit of an oddity too.

The video is nice - I do need to get a pair of 3D glasses I guess!!

Banned
    The video is nice - I do need to get a pair of 3D glasses I guess!!
    These are the best and the price is right too.

https://www.amazon.com/Glasses-Presc...rds=3d+glasses