Thread: Smithsonian Channel's "UFOs Declassified"

Smithsonian Channel's "UFOs Declassified"

I'm sure most have seen these programs. They are fairly good but seem to follow
    the usual formula of debunking good information just after it's been presented by
    the 'Usual Suspects' like Seth Shostak, etc...

In any event, I did come across an interesting tidbit of information from one of these episodes, something regarding US Military interactions (my particular interest), that I have never heard before:

Starting in December of 1952 the USAF started installing wing and nose cameras (on aircraft) with multi-spectrum film. This is highly significant as it clearly demonstrates that the purpose was to capture images on film unseen by the naked eye.

UFOs and Orbs often appeared on film taken by the multitudes of Japanese photographers who routinely lined the runways of both civilian and military airfields. Most often these were not seen until captured on film being invisible to the human eye.

I remember watching a USAF security detail line an entire runway fence line with massive plywood blanks to block the view of SR-71 landings at Misawa Airbase.
    Last edited by Wansen; 05-27-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wansen View Post
    I'm sure most have seen these programs. They are fairly good but seem to follow
    the usual formula of debunking good information just after it's been presented by
    the 'Usual Suspects' like Seth Shostak, etc...

In any event, I did come across an interesting tidbit of information from one of these episodes, something regarding US Military interactions (my particular interest), that I have never heard before:

Starting in December of 1952 the USAF started installing wing and nose cameras (on aircraft) with multi-spectrum film. This is highly significant as it clearly demonstrates that the purpose was to capture images on film unseen by the naked eye.

UFOs and Orbs often appeared on film taken by the multitudes of Japanese photographers who routinely lined the runways of both civilian and military airfields. Most often these were not seen until captured on film being invisible to the human eye.

I remember watching a USAF security detail line an entire runway fence line with massive plywood blanks to block the view of SR-71 landings at Misawa Airbase.
    Did you happen to notice what year the program was produced? So many "Declassified" titles out there.

1952 does sound early for special film. First "invisible" UFOs I recall were around approx. 1990 (?) when a Mexican drug interdiction flight caught a string of 5 objects jetting across the sky on their FLIR camera.
    Spooky to think the US was collecting such data 30 years prior.

Tiny bit confused, thought all SR71 flights, in the region You mentioned, were TDY out of Okinawa?
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Did you happen to notice what year the program was produced? So many "Declassified" titles out there.

1952 does sound early for special film. First "invisible" UFOs I recall were around approx. 1990 (?) when a Mexican drug interdiction flight caught a string of 5 objects jetting across the sky on their FLIR camera.
    Spooky to think the US was collecting such data 30 years prior.

Tiny bit confused, thought all SR71 flights, in the region You mentioned, were TDY out of Okinawa?
    UFOs Declassified

First Aired: 12/13/2015

Episode called "Locked On" (Unexplained encounters between military pilots and unknown flying objects.)

I was quite surprised myself when I heard the narrator talk about the film. I always hope to find a 'gem' of a factoid when I watch these, usually I am disappointed but not this time.

IIRC, it was in '83 when I saw the 'Blackbird' land at Misawa. I was waiting for a connecting flight to Clark AFB when I saw the USAF security detail in action. Back in those days at least, the runway fence line was packed with photographers (Japanese Nationals) who photographed everything that took off or landed. I was told that the USAF drew the line when the SR-71 flew.

Misawa has a bit of history. George Filer said in one of his lectures that UFOs would routinely hover over the base sometimes for hours on end. Also, IIRC, this base was were Soviet pilot defectors were often directed to land when they presented the latest MIG in return for mega-bucks and a new identity.
    Last edited by Wansen; 05-27-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    UFOs Declassified

First Aired: 12/13/2015

Episode called "Locked On" (Unexplained encounters between military pilots and unknown flying objects.)

I was quite surprised myself when I heard the narrator talk about the film. I always hope to find a 'gem' of a factoid when I watch these, usually I am disappointed but not this time.

IIRC, it was in '83 when I saw the 'Blackbird' land at Misawa. I was waiting for a connecting flight to Clark AFB when I saw the USAF security detail in action. Back in those days at least, the runway fence line was packed with photographers (Japanese Nationals) who photographed everything that took off or landed. I was told that the USAF drew the line when the SR-71 flew.

Misawa has a bit of history. George Filer said in one of his lectures that UFOs would routinely hover over the base sometimes for hours on end. Also, IIRC, this base was were Soviet pilot defectors were often directed to land when they presented the latest MIG in return for mega-bucks and a new identity.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I don't get Smithsonian channel, but sometimes they share with NatGeo.
    Hopefully I can see it there one day soon.
    Attachment 1008

Thanks for sharing.
    I don't get Smithsonian channel, but sometimes they share with NatGeo.
    Hopefully I can see it there one day soon.
    Thank you for responding.

I imagine it will eventually find its way on another channel if not YouTube.

I'm sure there's nothing (other than the film) that you haven't heard before and unfortunately, Shostak and a few others get as much, if not more airtime to spew some particularly ripe BS seemingly to muddy the waters.

An example would include the part where Parviz Jafari details his encounter complete with a comprehensive description of the UFOs array of sequentially flashing lights, radical maneuvering with obvious intelligent control, etc.

Then Shostak & friends talk about how Jafari was obviously a confused young pilot who got shook up from seeing ball lightning.

Last edited by Wansen; 05-28-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for responding.

I imagine it will eventually find its way on another channel if not YouTube.

I'm sure there's nothing (other than the film) that you haven't heard before and unfortunately, Shostak and a few others get as much, if not more airtime to spew some particularly ripe BS seemingly to muddy the waters.

An example would include the part where Parviz Jafari details his encounter complete with a comprehensive description of the UFOs array of sequentially flashing lights, radical maneuvering with obvious intelligent control, etc.

Then Shostak & friends talk about how Jafari was obviously a confused young pilot who got shook up from seeing ball lightning.

Yes, Seth Shostak does wear thin after awhile.
    Like a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    SETI has a big ear listening for ET, so ET must ONLY exist "out there".
    IMO, good example of Narrow Minded.

To hear all the skeptics tell it, ANY claim that might have an alternate explanation is considered resolved.
    Hello? I can Photoshop the "Hindenburg on fire" photograph. Does that mean it didn't really explode?

I appreciate skepticism, helps keep UFOlogy honest.
    Like Scully did with Mulder.
    Mulder once said "you still don't believe after all you have seen?" seems like a good question I've never heard Seth answer.

@Wansen. Was Seth debating anyone in the documentary? Or was it just a panel of skeptics bashing the report?
    Seth meet Stanton, Stan meet Seth
    Attachment 1008

Yes, Seth Shostak does wear thin after awhile.
    Like a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    SETI has a big ear listening for ET, so ET must ONLY exist "out there".
    IMO, good example of Narrow Minded.

To hear all the skeptics tell it, ANY claim that might have an alternate explanation is considered resolved.
    Hello? I can Photoshop the "Hindenburg on fire" photograph. Does that mean it didn't really explode?

I appreciate skepticism, helps keep UFOlogy honest.
    Like Scully did with Mulder.
    Mulder once said "you still don't believe after all you have seen?" seems like a good question I've never heard Seth answer.

@Wansen. Was Seth debating anyone in the documentary? Or was it just a panel of skeptics bashing the report?
    Seth meet Stanton, Stan meet Seth
    No debate calikid, just Shostak and two or three others who would debunk and explain (away) each witnesses' account after the fact.

I hope he gets paid well to peddle his lies, he is truly loathsome.