I publish a small news letter to my clients a few times a month. Shared with their staff as a security reminder.
I'll post a few of them here.

Welcome to my new series on Cyber-criminals.

What they want and how they get it….. with you as the victim.

I know everyone is busy with their workload, so instead of bogging everyone down with an hours long seminar/lecture on PC security, I will be sending out an email a few times a month to my clients. You may opt out at anytime.

These emails will be brief reminders, a paragraph or two that will highlight what we all need to watch for, to fend off criminal attempts to compromise our PCs, Servers, and Networks. Also included will be any breaking news about new hacker attempts/methods.

What do they want? Hackers target users to gain access. To your system, to your network, to your bank account, to the control systems that provides electricity to your city. Anything they can compromise and then sell on the dark web.

How do they do it? Most popular method is “catfishing”. Sending out fake emails from what appears to be reputable sources (FROM: Your banks name here) and hoping you will open an infected attachment, or click on a normal appearing link that actually leads to a website that downloads malicious code into your browsers background infecting your PC, or send them an email reply with your confidential info (passwords/acct numbers/SSN etc.). Often the hackers don’t have great English skills and may tip you off with spelling or grammar errors. “Please reply to this e-male” or “This is an issue with your cheque”. Also, you may get fake notices such as “notice from Apple; your purchase has been approved, check the attached receipt”, not bad. Except Hello? I don’t own Apple products or have an Apple account. This was one email/attachment I deleted unopened.

Other methods will be discussed in future segments.

Enough for our first installment.

Hopefully this is just a review and not news to you, but either way let's be alert to Hackers.

Feel free to share with friends.