Thread: Cultural Impact of Extraterrestrial Contact

Cultural Impact of Extraterrestrial Contact

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Wikipedia has a well researched, in-depth article on the potential cultural impact of extraterrestrial contact.

You can find it at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potent...strial_contact

It has lots of interesting findings!

A recommended read.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Wikipedia has a well researched, in-depth article on the potential cultural impact of extraterrestrial contact.

A recommended read.
    With over 100 listed references. Impressive.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Banned
    A fascinating read and covered a lot of ground but did not address the possibility that extraterrestrials are or even could be here on Earth, interwoven with society right now. Nor did they address the issue that "intelligent" ET can be found right here, right now, in our own back yard i.e. Solar System.

Academia almost always sees ET through a "human chauvinistic" lens. A scholarly and academic analysis perhaps, but somehow lacking IMO.

A recommended read.
    Good reading, thanks for sharing the link...

Quote Originally Posted by M-Albion-3D View Post
    A fascinating read and covered a lot of ground but did not address the possibility that extraterrestrials are or even could be here on Earth, interwoven with society right now. Nor did they address the issue that "intelligent" ET can be found right here, right now, in our own back yard i.e. Solar System.

Academia almost always sees ET through a "human chauvinistic" lens. A scholarly and academic analysis perhaps, but somehow lacking IMO.
    They did not address those items because that's not what this article is about. It deals with what the impact of disclosure will be.
    And it's quite surprising that 'traditional' scientists are doing serious research into this.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Banned
    They did not address those items that's
    not what this article is about. It deals with what the impact of Disclosure will be.
    And it's quite surprising that 'traditional' scientists are doing serious research into this.
    Yes, I agree, but I criticize the article due to its bias and incompleteness. But this is to be expected with mass cognitive dissonance which, I feel plagues academia. Just my opinion, that's all.

Thanks for the post however and hopefully this thread will have further posts, there's nothing more important than the issue of "how" humanity will respond and the social catharsis when it eventually does occur, IMHO

Interestingly, the first 'exo-science' was exotheology:

The term "exotheology" was coined in the 1960s or early 1970s[1] for the examination of theological issues as they pertain to extraterrestrial intelligence. It is primarily concerned with either conjecture about possible theological beliefs that extraterrestrials might have, or how our own theologies have been or will be influenced by evidence of and/or interaction with extraterrestrials.

One of the main themes of exotheology is applying the concept of extraterrestrials who are sentient, and more to the point, endowed with a soul, as a thought experiment to the examination of a given theology, mostly Christianity, Judaism and Islam."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotheology
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Banned
    Interestingly, the first 'exo-science' was exotheology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotheology

The term "
    exotheology
    " was coined in the 1960s or early 1970s[1] for the examination of theological issues as they pertain to extraterrestrial intelligence. It is primarily concerned with either conjecture about possible theological beliefs that extraterrestrials might have, or how our own theologies have been or will be influenced by evidence of and/or interaction with extraterrestrials.

Very deep....

I think it was a far-reaching "coin" in the 60's back then to converge religion with off-world life. Probably orchestrated by the then Cabal of the day, would seem a perfect and effective tool. The traditional religions of the era had greater control over their obedient followings.

In recent times Catholicism attendance, for example, has catapulted down and "god knows" where Islam has grown to, in response to 80 years of middle eastern debacles.

Atheism is/has been on the "organic/cognitive" rise as public awareness grows as to the "universal order of things".... which would naturally beckon the inevitable question of off-world life?
    Last edited by M-Albion-3D; 02-04-2019 at 10:37 AM.