Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 vs. Windows 10: Which is better?

Blog Entries

Windows 7 vs. Windows 10: Which is better?

May have to startup a poll on this debatable topic.
    Bottom line, support for WIN7 ends next year.
    After that, if you want updates that protect you from malware and virus attacks, upgrade to WIN10.

Windows 7 vs. Windows 10: Which is better?

Windows 7 is still immensely popular. Is it really better than Windows 10?
    It might seem obvious always to run the latest and greatest Microsoft operating system on your PC. But many people don’t agree. Windows 10 only recently surpassed Windows 7 as the most popular version of Windows. Despite the end of support in one year’s time, many are still holding on to the nearly 10-year-old Windows 7 operating system.

It might seem obvious always to run the latest and greatest Microsoft operating system on your PC. But many people don’t agree. Windows 10 only recently surpassed Windows 7 as the most popular version of Windows. Despite the end of support in one year’s time, many are still holding on to the nearly 10-year-old Windows 7 operating system.

Though it has a rightful place in the heart of consumers, Windows 7’s drastic differences from Windows 10 might be a reason that you are holding back from a long-awaited upgrade. In this guide, we give a look at some of the biggest areas where the two converge.
    Story Continues
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    I never used either. I went from Vista to 8.1 and didn't update to 10

I still prefer Vista.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    www.disclosurebeginsathome.wordpress.com
    Disclosure begins at home so start a conversation about UFOs.
    "Debunkers are like school yard bullies." - Kevin Smith to Leslie Kean, August 31, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by newyorklily View Post

I still prefer Vista.

Yup! MDW is considering a new L/T with Vista installed... her old one ran that Op system.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epo333 View Post
    Yup! MDW is considering a new L/T with Vista installed... her old one ran that Op system.
    MDW? Is that Mrs Epo333?
    While Vista did at least support the START button (vs the embarassing CHARMS of WIN8), still serious repercussions.
    Some notes from Microsoft about Vista:

What is Windows Vista end of support?
    As of April 11, 2017, Windows Vista customers are no longer receiving new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft. Microsoft has provided support for Windows Vista for the past 10 years, but the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources towards more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.

What happens if I continue to use Windows Vista?
    If you continue to use Windows Vista now that support has ended, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Internet Explorer 9 is no longer supported, so if your Windows Vista PC is connected to the Internet and you use Internet Explorer 9 to surf the web, you might be exposing your PC to additional threats (the only version of IE supported by Vista).

Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newyorklily View Post

I still prefer Vista.

WIN8.1 was a great improvement over WIN8.0. AFAIK, the CHARMS in WIN8.0 were MS trying to migrate to a Mobile Phone OS (MS way of dipping it's toe into the Apple iphone market), to the determent of the desktop community. EPIC FAIL. I was VERY happy to see the START Button (aka WINDOWS Key) return with WIN8.1.

While updates remain in place for WIN8.1, you can be sure any product evolution is focused on the WIN10 product.
    Read: Critical bug fixes for WIN8.1? Sure, through 2023.
    New and improved product features updates for WIN8.1 components? Not so much.
    The MS WIN10 Free Update is done and gone. If you missed it, so sad too bad. A full version of WIN10 is $100-$200 these days.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    WIN8.1 was a great improvement over WIN8.0. AFAIK, the CHARMS in WIN8.0 were MS trying to migrate to a Mobile Phone OS (MS way of dipping it's toe into the Apple iphone market), to the determent of the desktop community. EPIC FAIL. I was VERY happy to see the START Button (aka WINDOWS Key) return with WIN8.1.

While updates remain in place for WIN8.1, you can be sure any product evolution is focused on the WIN10 product.
    The MS WIN10 Free Update is done and gone. If you missed it, so sad too bad. A full version of WIN10 is $100-$200 these days.
    My Windows 8 won't update anymore. Their customer service told me to go into formatting (computer code) to fix it, however was worried I could make matters worse. Hence, I left it alone.

Well... Windows 7 was easier to use, more intuitive than Windows 10. But Windows 10 is better at almost anything. It's more secure, it's more stable.
    I haven't had a single windows crash on any of my computers, e.g., except with an upgrade. Now, if they could get their updates right, that would really be nice.

Having said all of that: if you liked windows Vista or 7, and you don't really need software that runs on Windows, you could go for Linux Mint Mate or Linux Mint Cinnamon. They're as intuitive as Win 7 was, more secure and more stable, and with ongoing support.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Well... Windows 7 was easier to use, more intuitive than Windows 10. But Windows 10 is better at almost anything. It's more secure, it's more stable.
    I haven't had a single windows crash on any of my computers, e.g., except with an upgrade. Now, if they could get their updates right, that would really be nice.

Having said all of that: if you liked windows Vista or 7, and you don't really need software that runs on Windows, you could go for Linux Mint Mate or Linux Mint Cinnamon. They're as intuitive as Win 7 was, more secure and more stable, and with ongoing support.
    Oh the irony... after posting that, my computer rebooted to install win 10-1809. This time it went fairly smoothly. Desktop was erased but with Office 365 you have the option to make an online copy, which I had, and it reinstalled itself perfectly. It just took 2 minutes to install that backup.
    Anyway: the good news is that this time the windows 10 upgrade went fairly smoothly. (But as always, just make a backup first!)
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post

MDW (My Dear Wife), and since I posted that, she has changed her mind back to Win10 . . . Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    My Windows 8 won't update anymore. Their customer service told me to go into formatting (computer code) to fix it, however was worried I could make matters worse. Hence, I left it alone.
    I stand corrected. Was booting the computer today and saw it read, Windows 7...