Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cable, Internet, Cellular, and Over the Air Television

  1. #1

    Cable, Internet, Cellular, and Over the Air Television

    Started this thread to discuss various methods for watching television. Pros and cons, and changes to how television programming is viewed. Also, changes in regulations and within the industry.
    Last edited by CasperParks; 07-02-2019 at 09:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Tyler the Antenna Man
    The FCC Repack: How it Affects Free OTA TV Viewers

    Tyler does reviews of antennas and mounting.
    His youtube channel is informative.

  3. #3
    Lead Moderator calikid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    8,924
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    Tyler the Antenna Man
    The FCC Repack: How it Affects Free OTA TV Viewers

    Tyler does reviews of antennas and mounting.
    His youtube channel is informative.
    We used to call this Cable TV Cord Cutting, or "Cord Cutting" for short.
    Cable TV does seem like something of a monopoly. Over The Air (OTA) has gotten much better since the FTC forced broadcasters to convert from Analog (UHF/VHF) to Digital signals. Better quality picture and many more channels packed into the same bandwidth.
    The past few years have shown some viable alternatives to cable, with better OTA, Netflix, Dish Network, etc.
    Periodic rescans of OTA has become a way of life, and now that G5 Cellular phones are taking over the lower end of this spectrum, looks like another re-shuffle for OTA channels in the near future.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    We used to call this Cable TV Cord Cutting, or "Cord Cutting" for short.
    Cable TV does seem like something of a monopoly. Over The Air (OTA) has gotten much better since the FTC forced broadcasters to convert from Analog (UHF/VHF) to Digital signals. Better quality picture and many more channels packed into the same bandwidth.
    The past few years have shown some viable alternatives to cable, with better OTA, Netflix, Dish Network, etc.
    Periodic rescans of OTA has become a way of life, and now that G5 Cellular phones are taking over the lower end of this spectrum, looks like another re-shuffle for OTA channels in the near future.
    One of the happiest days for me is taking my cable box to the central office and terminating my service . . . And telling the small crowd there how I bought an antenna with a 115db gain amplifier and now getting 38 channels out of thin air . . . One time cost of $35.00 from Amazon and came right to my door in 3 days!!!

  5. #5
    We cut the cord here last month and streaming through the internet for stuff like Netflix. I miss having access to the SyFy channel, however that is about it. At the moment, only two shows I'd like to watch - Killjoys and Krypton. Doubtful we'll put up an antenna.

  6. #6
    Lead Moderator calikid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    8,924
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    We cut the cord here last month and streaming through the internet for stuff like Netflix. I miss having access to the SyFy channel, however that is about it. At the moment, only two shows I'd like to watch - Killjoys and Krypton. Doubtful we'll put up an antenna.
    OTA Antenna will give you access to major networks (and smaller local stations):

    ABC
    CBS
    FOX
    NBC

    Good for local/national news
    Election coverage
    Sporting events
    Football
    Baseball
    Auto Racing
    and the occasional new TV show
    Etc.

    Not bad stuff for free.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

  7. #7
    Don't forget all the PBS channels
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •