Thread: France announces new Space Force

Blog Entries

France announces new Space Force

France Is Launching a 'Space Force' with Weaponized Satellites

By Hanneke Weitering
    New French satellites will be equipped with machine guns and laser weapons.

Months after President Donald Trump announced the creation of the U.S. Space Force, France is beginning to lay the groundwork for its own version.

French President Emmanuel Macron announced last month that the nation's air force will establish a space command for the purpose of national defense, particularly to protect of French satellites.

Last week, French Minister of Defense Florence Parly detailed the nation's plan for its new space force, which involves equipping satellites with machine guns and lasers, according to the French news weekly Le Point.
    Story Continues
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Does this "weaponized satellites" story make anyone else nervous?
    I've heard it said, ET will not allow weapons in space. Guess we are going to find out.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Does this "weaponized satellites" story make anyone else nervous?
    I've heard it said, ET will not allow weapons in space. Guess we are going to find out.
    I suspect that several countries already have weapons in orbit... If there aren't any, it would surprise me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    I suspect that several countries already have weapons in orbit... If there aren't any, it would surprise me.
    One space based weapon I have heard of is a US platform that is loaded with graphite poles, about the size of a telephone pole.
    They are launched from orbit with pinpoint accuracy. The mass of the object and the speed of terminal velocity allow for a powerful impact without the need of explosives. Sort of a loophole since it is not a conventional weapon.

Once upon a time there was an international moratorium on space based weapon. I do not know if it expired.

I will have to do some research on quotes about ET not allowing space based weapons. Perhaps it was only nuclear weapons.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    One space based weapon I have heard of is a US platform that is loaded with graphite poles, about the size of a telephone pole.
    They are launched from orbit with pinpoint accuracy. The mass of the object and the speed of terminal velocity allow for a powerful impact without the need of explosives. Sort of a loophole since it is not a conventional weapon.

Once upon a time there was an international moratorium on space based weapon. I do not know if it expired.

I will have to do some research on quotes about ET not allowing space based weapons. Perhaps it was only nuclear weapons.
    From what I remember of the system they were called the "Rods of God" though I believe they were made out of tungsten rather than graphite.
    Concerning weapons in space, isn't there some sort of international treaty that prohibits the placing of nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons in space or in orbit?
    My inner Mulder wants to believe, but my inner Scully remains skeptical.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    From what I remember of the system they were called the "Rods of God" though I believe they were made out of tungsten rather than graphite.
    Concerning weapons in space, isn't there some sort of international treaty that prohibits the placing of nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons in space or in orbit?
    "No Treaty Will Stop Space Weapons"

An interesting article on space weapons in Popular Mechanics...
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/spa...space-weapons/

Here's the 60s Treaty:

https://2009-2017.state.gov/t/isn/5181.htm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Albion-3D View Post
    "No Treaty Will Stop Space Weapons"

An interesting article on space weapons in Popular Mechanics...
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/spa...space-weapons/

Here's the 60s Treaty:

https://2009-2017.state.gov/t/isn/5181.htm
    Some interesting articles.
    So, "weapons of mass destruction" (Nuclear/Chemical/Biological) were the 1967 treaty's target... but loopholes exist.
    Thanks for sharing the links M-Albion-3D.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Tungsten? You're probably right Wally. Been awhile since I last read about the "Rods of God".
    Just recall the actual material had to be very durable to avoid burn up on re-entry.
    Thanks for refreshing my memory.
    Attachment 1008