Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: How would ET disclosure change our legal system?

  1. #1
    Lead Moderator calikid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    9,173
    Blog Entries
    19

    How would ET disclosure change our legal system?

    A big part of societies Political system has to do with legislature and lawmakers.
    I am trying to picture what the legal system would look like after the ET presence is acknowleged.
    How would the laws we have change?
    What happens in a courtroom when a defendant says "ET did it!", is that reasonable doubt?
    How would law enforcement deal with claims of home invasions & abductions by ET vs what they do today?

    I assume the form of disclosure will be a factor.
    Will the people be told that we know ET exists, but we have no idea what they are?
    Or will we discover that ET has been in communication with government officials for many years?

    I'm going to ponder on this, write more later.
    If anyone else has ideas on topic, please share.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    A big part of societies Political system has to do with legislature and lawmakers.
    I am trying to picture what the legal system would look like after the ET presence is acknowleged.
    How would the laws we have change?
    What happens in a courtroom when a defendant says "ET did it!", is that reasonable doubt?
    How would law enforcement deal with claims of home invasions & abductions by ET vs what they do today?

    I assume the form of disclosure will be a factor.
    Will the people be told that we know ET exists, but we have no idea what they are?
    Or will we discover that ET has been in communication with government officials for many years?

    I'm going to ponder on this, write more later.
    If anyone else has ideas on topic, please share.
    That reminds of a Babylon 5 episode. A guy was suing a grey alien because his great grandfather was abducted.

    It's possible, and depending on how Disclosure happens... Lawmakers could pass legislation that protects ETs from criminal charges and civil lawsuits. ETs could have their own set of laws that allowed humans abductions because they hadn't reached a "certain stage of development as a species".
    Last edited by CasperParks; 01-18-2020 at 01:24 AM.

  3. #3
    Taking legal actions for abductions or cattle mutilation would probably be tricky. Who would you report such things to? It's very likely there are multiple extraterrestrial groups and I imagine that the good ones are helping to keep the bad ones in line and stop them from taking over the planet or enslaving us. It could be entirely possible that the ranchers would get reimbursed for cattle that are killed. Regular criminals trying to blame extraterrestrials for their crimes probably wouldn't work all that well either.
    My inner Mulder wants to believe, but my inner Scully remains skeptical.

  4. #4
    Senior Member M-Albion-3D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Malibu, California
    Posts
    552

    "No law, no lawyers"

    The dawn of Disclosure could very well usher in a new form of communication between humans with the introduction of the telepathic method. ET, by all accounts, has done away with lip movement noise in favor of "brain to brain" chat so it seems. I've often wondered how this would work in society. Would private thoughts be a thing of the past and if so, how could this affect the legal system?

    The legal system is essentially based on the "lie or not to lie" or its detection, and therefore, would the lie become, ipso facto obsolete?

    "No law, no lawyers"....

    <em>
    "Expect not to see the expected, instead, expect to see the unexpected"
    - M.Scott

  5. #5
    Lead Moderator calikid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    9,173
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    That reminds of a Babylon 5 episode. A guy was suing a grey alien because his great grandfather was abducted.

    It's possible, and depending on how Disclosure happens... Lawmakers could pass legislation that protects ETs from criminal charges and civil lawsuits. ETs could have their own set of laws that allowed humans abductions because they hadn't reached a "certain stage of development as a species".
    So you are saying if we normalize relations with ET, we need to grant them immunity for past crimes?
    And if Govenment officials were involved, we would need to grant them immunity too?
    But this date forward, crimes will be charged.
    Boy, I'd hate to be the cop who tried to put the cuffs on ET. Get the feeling might be tricky.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

  6. #6
    Lead Moderator calikid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    9,173
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Taking legal actions for abductions or cattle mutilation would probably be tricky. Who would you report such things to? It's very likely there are multiple extraterrestrial groups and I imagine that the good ones are helping to keep the bad ones in line and stop them from taking over the planet or enslaving us. It could be entirely possible that the ranchers would get reimbursed for cattle that are killed. Regular criminals trying to blame extraterrestrials for their crimes probably wouldn't work all that well either.
    Who would do the reimbursements? Our government? ET?
    And as far as blaming ET goes, what if ET did do it? Certainly have to allow an accussed defendant the right to make his case. Just not sure how one would go about proving ET involvement. They so sneaky.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

  7. #7
    Lead Moderator calikid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    9,173
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Albion-3D View Post
    The dawn of Disclosure could very well usher in a new form of communication between humans with the introduction of the telepathic method. ET, by all accounts, has done away with lip movement noise in favor of "brain to brain" chat so it seems. I've often wondered how this would work in society. Would private thoughts be a thing of the past and if so, how could this affect the legal system?

    The legal system is essentially based on the "lie or not to lie" or its detection, and therefore, would the lie become, ipso facto obsolete?

    "No law, no lawyers"....

    <snip Video>
    Wonder how deep the telepathy thing would go?
    Maybe it is impossible to lie using that form of communication? All thoughts/memoris laid open and bare?
    Wouldn't need lie detectors. Maybe eliminate perjury from the books, if lies were impossible.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

  8. #8
    I think it would be more along the lines of diplomatic immunity for aliens, but more from the perspective that there is no way we can get them to submit to human jurisdiction. I mean, what if they had been here before us? And as for past crimes are they even seen as crimes? Would the aliens understand why it's ok for a human to butcher a cow but not an alien?

    But really it would involve reworking the legal and security structure in the entire world; or at least the oecd to begin with. Surely everyone would see the need for a united front and consistent laws across the globe with the threat of alien interference. The pessimist in me worries that countries would fight more and try and align with factions of aliens to get an edge, making a global strategy moot.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Who would do the reimbursements? Our government? ET?
    And as far as blaming ET goes, what if ET did do it? Certainly have to allow an accussed defendant the right to make his case. Just not sure how one would go about proving ET involvement. They so sneaky.
    For the reimbursements the ET could probably just get away with giving (or selling) some of their technology/art/culture to the ranchers. To the ET the items given would likely be inconsequential (baubles and trinkets) but to us it would seem like magic, or the work of Davinci or Michelangelo.
    My inner Mulder wants to believe, but my inner Scully remains skeptical.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    So you are saying if we normalize relations with ET, we need to grant them immunity for past crimes?
    And if Govenment officials were involved, we would need to grant them immunity too?
    But this date forward, crimes will be charged.
    Boy, I'd hate to be the cop who tried to put the cuffs on ET. Get the feeling might be tricky.
    Sorry for any misunderstandings. Not saying that I believe immunity for past crimes by involved governments and aliens.

    I set aside personal views and answered as to how it could play-out...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •