Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Corona Virus and Disclosure - Public Reactions

Blog Entries
    I heard an interesting rebuttal to comments that "More testing is the reason we are reporting more COVID19 cases".
    I always figured Full hospitals beds/ICU beds, and respirator shortages, were a clue.
    But a recent good analogy was: "How many pregnancies would there be if we did not do so much pregnancy testing?"
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    On the rare "good" COVID19 news front.
    As most everyone knows, antibiotic/antiviral treatments are different from vaccines.
    Vaccines (also in Stage3 testing, by Moderna) prevents a healthy person from catching the infection.
    Treatment is medication for people already sick, trying to "get over it".

Eli Lilly testing possible coronavirus treatment at nursing homes
    By Alexandria Burris

Eli Lilly and Co. is turning to skilled nursing home and assisted living facilities for late-stage testing of a potential new antibody drug that could prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus among residents and caregivers.

The Indianapolis-based pharmaceutical company announced Monday the initiation of Phase 3 testing for a drug known as LY-CoV555, a neutralizing antibody that appears to attack the spike protein of the coronavirus, blocking viral attachment and entry into human cells.

A dose of the drug is delivered through an IV. The goal is to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 infection, the virus that causes COVID-19, at long term care facilities, said Nicole Hebert, a Lilly spokesperson. The company's scientists developed the antibody in less than three months after it was discovered by Vancouver-based AbCellera and tested by scientists at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease Vaccine Research Center.
    Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

NZ entering COVID19 lockdown again, level 2 for most of the country, and level 3 for Auckland. So far they are aiming for Wednesday noon until midnight Friday (NZ time, 12th to 14th August.) Due to the speed at which this is happening, I bet most people won't know what is going on tomorrow. As an essential worker, I'll be able to get out and about to work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pontificator View Post
    NZ entering COVID19 lockdown again, level 2 for most of the country, and level 3 for Auckland. So far they are aiming for Wednesday noon until midnight Friday (NZ time, 12th to 14th August.) Due to the speed at which this is happening, I bet most people won't know what is going on tomorrow. As an essential worker, I'll be able to get out and about to work.
    Last I heard NZ had kicked it. Zero new cases.
    Second wave?
    Guessing that flare up in Au migrated?
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Last I heard NZ had kicked it. Zero new cases.
    Second wave?
    Guessing that flare up in Au migrated?
    Suddenly 4 members of the same family in Auckland tested positive.
    It is not known how they got it.
    So, Auckland is in level 3 lockdown again.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

It's now up to 13 cases, most of them relatives of the infected and their co-workers. They're trying to get onto this fast to work out where it came from specifically. Genetic analysis suggests UK/OZ variant and they're looking into the possibility of tracing it to a normal quarantine facility, but that's still a work in progress.