Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Open Minds forum no longer exists.

Sounds great, Neuru! Keep us posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuru View Post
    Just to (possibly at least) let loose a few people's anticipation and feel its burden weigh down on me, I'll just announce right now that for some time I've been in the process of making a program that should make browsing the OMF archive very, very easy, and quick. Unless something eliminates me, expect a preview release sometime in the next 7 days. (Of course, it might, just might, be the next 8 or 9 or even 14 days but I'll try to stick to the first possibility.)

The preview release is planned to have post bookmarking, post filtering (by author), full text search, note-taking and tabbed browsing capability and it should work with the Open Minds Forum archive's printable versions. In subsequent versions, I'll also add support for threads downloaded from other forums (eventually support for user-defined templates to process any forum of your choice), support for post tagging, advanced filtering and probably many bug fixes. Plus additional modules about which I'll keep quiet for now.

It should be helpful for several things and agendas, be it simple reading (should be more comfortable than reading in a plain browser), finding correlations, synthesis, critical analysis, debunking, de-debunking or research (you know, because the scientific community takes stuff written on internet forums as serious scientific evidence of the utmostest seriosity *smirks* ).
    That sounds great. Much Thanks.
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Blog Entries
    Wow, even with my high end i7, it took nearly 30mins to unCrunch the archive.

@fore. Any organizational tips?
    Is this just thousands of individual posts?
    Or is there an index system?
    I see Neuru is working on something, just thought you might have a helpful suggestion.

Thanks
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Wow, even with my high end i7, it took nearly 30mins to unCrunch the archive.

@fore. Any organizational tips?
    Is this just thousands of individual posts?
    Or is there an index system?
    I see Neuru is working on something, just thought you might have a helpful suggestion.

Thanks
    There is an index.htm file (you'll find it at the bottom of the folder) from where you can start.

Mind you, you may want to block some of the scripts in there...
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Just a quick update on the forum browser program thing.

No, I did not abandon it. Obviously it won't make the 7 day deadline seeing that's tomorrow. Didn't get to code at all last Saturday, Sunday and Monday but have been at it since last evening (and last night). No immediately obvious obstacles to having it finished... yet. So it's coming along steadily. Will post a few screenshots soon.

Just a quick update on the forum browser program thing.

No, I did not abandon it. Obviously it won't make the 7 day deadline seeing that's tomorrow. Didn't get to code at all last Saturday, Sunday and Monday but have been at it since last evening (and last night). No immediately obvious obstacles to having it finished... yet. So it's coming along steadily. Will post a few screenshots soon.
    Thanks for the update. I'm sure we will all be grateful for your efforts and I don't think anyone would want you to feel like you have to meet a deadline.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I'll have to be away for the next 1 to 1.5 months. That means this project is suspended until then. After that, I'll do a proper 1.0 release. Also, tagging support will be added to 1.0 since it'd be useful. (Arkki/Arkwright mentioned tagging posts for example in Fore's past threads.)

Guess I shouldn't have announced it so hastily, heh.

Unfortunately I'll have to be away for the next 1 to 1.5 months. That means this project is suspended until then. After that, I'll do a proper 1.0 release. Also, tagging support will be added to 1.0 since it'd be useful. (Arkki/Arkwright mentioned tagging posts for example in Fore's past threads.)

Guess I shouldn't have announced it so hastily, heh.
    Oh, well. We make plans, the gods laugh.

Blog Entries
    In the meantime, here is a tiny app that can be used on the archive Fore posted. (You have to extract the archive first.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57087428/Pro...M%20sorter.zip

It renames files to the respective thread's title and organizes them into the same hierarchy that was used on the forum. Only touches the printable versions (and of those, only the valid ones, not the ones that returned an error message when they were crawled), the rest are left alone.

Pix plz: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57087428/Pro...M%20sorter.png

It requires the .NET Framework 2.0 to run.
    - If you use Windows XP, download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=19
    - Windows Vista and 7 have it preinstalled.
    - Windows 8 will automatically offer to download it. In that case, just accept it. You'll probably need an internet connection.

2.0 is an ancient version (initially released in 2006) and its support will expire (in 2016) during Windows 8's lifetime (2012-2022 for Pro and Enterprise, 2012-2017 for the consumer versions), therefore it is not included in Windows 8. I use this old version on purpose, because it is fully implemented in Mono (the free, open-source remake of .NET), which runs on Linux and OS X. This is also true for that upcoming program I wrote about and probably all of what I'll release in the foreseeable future. On these platforms, you'll have to install Mono (and its Windows.Forms support package) and then you just run the .exe file like with a normal program.
    Last edited by Neuru; 08-07-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Fresh link found for the Archive:

http://speedy.sh/zwVWp/OpenMindsForum.rar
    For every action, there is a corresponding over-reaction. -- Anonymous