Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Minds forum no longer exists.

@ Sol

If you are asking why OM was shutdown then it was because of Proboards abuse department shutting it down.

If you are asking what happened between Bren and Proboards, there isn't anyone who would know for sure.

(Ask Bren)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    Here is a fact. In mid Novemer 2011, OM Admin took all admin functions away from the Co-Admins. As of December 5, 2011, not a single former Mod had any mod functions. There was only 1 person that could do anything administative wise. You all know who that was. Simple see. I logged on several times only to see if my PM's were answered by the Admin. They never were.
    Thanks buddy

From the former Co-Admins of Open Minds Forum;

Beginning at the end of August 2011, Admin returned from a long absence and began to act on his own without the usual consultation we had between us all for years. He seemed to lose trust in his fellow staff members following a minor hack which resulted in a large number of threads being rearranged and made into announcements but did no real damage. This loss of trust manifested in a breakdown of meaningful communications. Despite attempts from numerous parties to mediate, the result was that Admin essentially tied the hands of his staff by removing our ability to administer the boards.

Understand that we did not take the decision to leave OM lightly, we had each invested, not just finances, but countless hours of our time. We were left with no choice having essentially been fired by Admin, who as Proboards forum founder always retained sole access to the admin account. We hoped that if we left quietly some of the work we all did might survive.

From that point onward any and all actions carried out at OM were the sole responsibility of Admin.

There is nothing more to say. Please don't ask for more. We are here now and moving ahead with The OutPost Forum.

One of the owners or admins supposedly tried to put software called Moustrace on to the forum (OMF) and it is so that the Admin that put it on could monitor peoples "mouse" movements to see what they are mostly looking at, there is a lot of things Mousetrace allows them to do like read peoples PM's etc etc.

A brief description of it was wrote by a friend more familiar with it than me so I've copied it for you:

Quote: Mouse Trace is a script that records your mouse movements and also the screen you are looking at. The software claims to be an efficiency tool in showing web admins how people are using their site so they can better lay it out or whatever. This script should be used on e-commerce type sites to help a vendor better utilize the webpage, not spy.

I noticed it because in Firefox, when you navigate to a page, it will quickly list the sites its loading content from in the lower left or right hand corner. I noticed a site "www.mouse-trace.com" and this threw a red flag. I "googled" the site and looked into what it was and after finding out that information, I felt it was necessary to alert everyone of this type of program and that it was caught loading on the forum. i knew it could be used sadistically.

Now I'm even more cautious and run some add-ons that block scripts from running unless I allow them.

If you use Firefox as your browser, you can load the following to better protect yourself, but always remember we are never 100% safe while on the web.

No Script
    Ghostery
    Beef Taco
    ABP (Ad Block Plus)

It was because of this why people complained to Proboards. Proboards supposedly found no trace of this mouse software but still for some unknown reason suspended OMF.

Not a demand....just a question.....but who was responsible for installing mouse trace at OMF?

Does anyone in charge here actually know?

It's a fair question I think

Quote Originally Posted by murmur View Post
    Not a demand....just a question.....but who was responsible for installing mouse trace at OMF?

It never did actually get installed. It was one of those add-on things that was refused. I think Admin was playing with it to see what it was.
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Admin installed a Google statistics package. Apparently Mousetrace or elements of Mousetrace were included. As it turned out the statistical part was of no use so he uninstalled it. That is all as told to us by him. I don't believe any of us know more than that. (As DF said, above.)

Thanks

So he who must not be named...disappears for a year...on and off....comes back....sets up some software package that includes mouse trace....and basically fires the staff.

Pretty bizarre

Thanks

So he who must not be named...disappears for a year...on and off....comes back....sets up some software package that includes mouse trace....and basically fires the staff.

Pretty bizarre
    Welcome to our world!

Thanks

Pretty bizarre
    I'm not sure if the timing of it was exactly like you wrote. I do know we were not included in that decision at any point.