Page 230 of 230 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230
Results 2,291 to 2,296 of 2296

Thread: What we think we know so far

Personally, I'm keeping an eye on the matter rather closely. Also, I have noted increasing amounts of "odd" background activity. Something new to me has been observing me closely, but not quite sure exactly what it is; need to try reachback, but that can be pretty dangerous.

*mutters darkly* I should have realised the increasing activity was connected with something else, gone into level 3 lockdown again. "Should" be for a period of 3 days, but that really depends on how well the authorities establish the origin of the new outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by pontificator View Post
    *mutters darkly* I should have realised the increasing activity was connected with something else, gone into level 3 lockdown again. "Should" be for a period of 3 days, but that really depends on how well the authorities establish the origin of the new outbreak.
    Just wondering, any vaccine activity there?

About 60000 doses have entered the country and are undergoing quality checking. The plan is to use them for the frontline staff on the border first, as they are extreme high-risk in relative terms when considering the likelihood of exposure.
    This will then be followed by the most vulnerable; those whose deaths can be explained away as being due to pre-existing conditions.
    Unfortunately, this is a Pfizer batch, so good luck to those who receive it; the CDC report on it has to be one of the most weasel-worded documents I've ever seen on such a serious subject. I read it to dispel any concerns I had, it resulted in the absolute opposite happening. There is an aside where I am rather concerned with the internal production of the spike protean, and the damage it causes on its own when it passes through the blood-brain barrier.

About 100 frontline workers have now been vaccinated, and they will begin vaccinating other critical workers en masse; this means it is mainly medical staff who have been vaccinated first, as they are most at risk of exposure. Around the middle of the year is the the rollout to the general population, and I would expect there will be more known about side-effects and other problems by that point. If that will disrupt the ultimate distribution of the vaccine in NZ is unknown, but there are other vaccine types on order, so it is possible they will switch to another version if they must.

In terms of the outbreak group, there were some children at one of the colleges who caught it from the family. And there are still pending tests. The origin of this particular version of the UK strain has not yet been traced, and they are still looking for patient 0. A potential candidate from one of the quarantine hotels was a close genetic match, but not close enough to nail them down as the viral source.

Look-in activity is continuing my end, mainly from a distance. Given the granularity of the checking, I'd say they are keeping close tabs. As an aside, that is really not reassuring, it suggests they need as much info as possible because they need to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by pontificator View Post
    About 100 frontline workers have now been vaccinated, and they will begin vaccinating other critical workers en masse; this means it is mainly medical staff who have been vaccinated first, as they are most at risk of exposure. Around the middle of the year is the the rollout to the general population, and I would expect there will be more known about side-effects and other problems by that point. If that will disrupt the ultimate distribution of the vaccine in NZ is unknown, but there are other vaccine types on order, so it is possible they will switch to another version if they must.

In terms of the outbreak group, there were some children at one of the colleges who caught it from the family. And there are still pending tests. The origin of this particular version of the UK strain has not yet been traced, and they are still looking for patient 0. A potential candidate from one of the quarantine hotels was a close genetic match, but not close enough to nail them down as the viral source.

Look-in activity is continuing my end, mainly from a distance. Given the granularity of the checking, I'd say they are keeping close tabs. As an aside, that is really not reassuring, it suggests they need as much info as possible because they need to do something.
    Here in the U.S.A. we've been slammed with three winter storms with in just days of each other. Texas had over 10 million without power for 7 or 8 days and counting. The storms stretched from Texas to Atlantic coast putting a major damper on vaccine deliveries. thousands of doses were given out of the plan order, as they were spoiling at many sites.

Even though I'm qualified I don't expect to get the 1st one for a month or more!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-winter-storm/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-1...er-storms-cdc/

https://apnews.com/article/power-tex...9020ef642995d1
    Last edited by epo333; 02-20-2021 at 06:05 PM.