Thread: Secret Mars Plot

Secret Mars Plot

Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2012
    Silly Season: Russia Accuses the U.S. of a Secret Mars Plot

By Jeffrey Kluger

Oh Russia, you used to do paranoia so much better. The Evil Empire got its name in part because of its nasty post–World War II habit of gathering up little, nearby countries — countries that didn't strictly want to be gathered up — in order to build a buffer on its western flank. That was un-neighborly, but at least understandable. You try living next to Germany for the first half of the 20th century and see if you don't double-lock the door.

But the Cold War is over, Germany's been housebroken, and there's less need than ever to see hostile foreigners lurking behind every bush. You wouldn't have known that this week, however, listening to Vladimir Popovkin, director of Roscosmos, the Russian space agency.
    It's been a bad couple of months for Roscosmos, ever since an ambitious Russian Mars probe was launched on Nov. 9, headed to the Martian moon Phobos to collect and return a sample of extraterrestrial rock and soil. The ship, named Phobos-Grunt (or Ground) fell a wee bit short of its target, never making it out of Earth's orbit after an upper stage booster failed. Now, as all things stranded in low Earth orbit must, the probe is headed home, set to re-enter the atmosphere and break apart sometime between Jan. 14 and 16. The best estimate so far is that the precise moment of impact will be 1:18 p.m., Moscow time, on Jan. 15, and the precise place will be the Indian Ocean. (See "Can Russia Fix Its Crippled Mars Probe in Time?")

<Snip>

In announcing this news on Tuesday, however, Popovkin couldn't resist deflecting the blame for the mission's failure, suggesting — with an exquisite lack of subtlety — that the mission may have been sabotaged by another country (America, we're looking at you) using an antisatellite weapon. "We don't want to accuse anybody," Popovkin said, accusing somebody, "but there are very powerful devices that can influence spacecraft now." In case you were wondering, that's Russian for "I'm just sayin'."

The loss of Phobos-Grunt is equally big for space science as a whole. A sample return mission has been in NASA's long-term plans for years, but budget constraints have caused the agency to postpone the project repeatedly. Space watchers in both the U.S. and Russia were rooting for this mission to succeed — as was China, which had a small Martian orbiter riding along. All of that will crash and burn — literally — within a few days. Traveling to Mars has always been a very, very hard thing to do, and it will continue to be. You don't need an imaginary U.S. plot to make that so.

Murmur says: My only commentary is that I find the possibility of space based weapons being raised by Time Magazine an interesting point to consider

Last edited by Doc; 01-13-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: These days, to avoid copyright troubles we should stick to 3 to 5 paragraphs quoted material with commentary.

Something seems to not want the Rus to go there.

(Check your PMs)

I tried.....there is no edit/modify button

Quote Originally Posted by murmur View Post
    I tried.....there is no edit/modify button
    How about I drop a couple of paragraph's off. I hate to lose the post. Or--would you repost three-five paragraphs with some commentary. Then I could take the original down. Fun, right?

I trust you.....

My only commentary is that I find the possibility of space based weapons being raised by Time Magazine an interesting point to consider

I trust you.....

My only commentary is that I find the possibility of space based weapons being raised by Time Magazine an interesting point to consider
    OK, let's see how it turns out.

That's exactly what I would have done.

Mars does seem to be a little elusive.

I can't imagine that the USA would actually go after a scientific research mission to Mars though.

Unless there is really something going on there that is.

Where is LME when you need her?

That's exactly what I would have done.

Mars does seem to be a little elusive.

I can't imagine that the USA would actually go after a scientific research mission to Mars though.

Unless there is really something going on there that is.

Where is LME when you need her?
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is someone other than us messing with them. There is a lot of intrigue involved just in the NASA, private enterprise, financing--that whole thing. It could something along the lines of: As th governmeent backs away from funding NASA's mission and other's step in, control of the secrets is jeopardized. During the Serpo heyday, one of the little side stories was that when Reagan took office and was briefed into the various programs, the extraterrestrial secrets he learned, maybe the Dark Message, scared the crap out of him and he backed us away quite a bit. If any of that is true, there is a struggle going on that I doubt we will ever hear about in detail, if at all.

And with that story it is two fold it seems. Not just the Russians but China also. Food for thought.
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes