Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools and Information for ExtraPlanetary Research - Mars

Tools and Information for ExtraPlanetary Research - Mars

One of the challenges for all of us who do anomaly research, or, just have an interest in a personal exploration of Mars, is just knowing how to get to the best tools and data for doing that. I haven’t been involved in this type of research very long, and when I started, I had high hopes, and good intentions, but little knowledge of the tools and data I needed. As a result, I made numerous early-on anomaly posting errors. What I thought to be anomalous objects were just oddities in the bad source data I had used.

Well, what is needed for positive and effective research, is the very best data NASA has been able to produce. That is the only way to conclusively present
    anomaly details that others/all are able to visualize, and receive, with any level of confidence. So, my intent with this post is to begin to make available for all what I have learned, from others, and on my own, about how to get to, and use, some of the best Mars data.

I am going to present one tool at a time, so we can discuss it to any length needed, so that each tool becomes practical for your use. I also want to encourage anyone here, who likewise has some knowledge of other such tools, to feel free to also post them, for all of our benefit.

The tool I am presenting first is Google Mars, which is one element of the Google Earth software. Yes, this is the “source data” that initially got me in trouble. But I will discuss how to use it effectively.

For those who haven’t seen it, Google Mars is a complete planet globe. constructed by Google, using NASA photographs. Just using it to look around the planet can be an interesting and fun thing to do, but just know, sometimes what you see, is not the reality of what is in the actual NASA photos.

So, here we go, for effectively using Google Mars:

1. Download the "Google Earth" software, and install - this is free.

2. Click on the Google Earth icon to open.

3. When opened the Earth screen automatically comes up.

4. Notice in the upper tool bar, is a “planet icon” - click on this icon, and see a selection of different search areas - Earth, Sky, Mars, and Moon

5. Select Mars - the planet Mars comes up, and you are ready to start looking around.

6. Your mouse/cursor is your “control stick” for all of your search movements on Google Mars. With the cursor you can move the globe in any direction, and if you double-click on a specific place on the globe, it will take you closer to the surface, each time, as you double-click. Also, a tool in the upper right will zoom in or zoom out, as well as modify your view directionally.

7. The toolbar has several other useful icons, including a ruler, which can be used to measure size and distances on the surface, from any altitude above the surface. This is really handy! The toolbar also includes a “place-mark” which you can use to save areas of interest to the “Places List”/sidebar on the left side of the screen.

8 Just play with it to become familiar with the general use of Google Mars, and to see some of what is there.

9. Now, here is a major instruction - notice in the lower area of the sidebar on the left, you will see a list of items that are in the Primary Google Mars Database. There are several items, which you may or may not have an interest in. But I direct you to the most important item there for high quality data for anomaly research - that would be “Spacecraft Imagery”. Spacecraft Imagery is the key to effectively using Google Mars in anomaly research.

10. Click on the Spacecraft Imagery box. This will bring up drop-down boxes that will list for selection, each of the Mars Orbiter spacecraft cameras. The area photos for each of the cameras you select will now show up - clickable - on the planet’s surface. These photographs are the real NASA data, and provide the best possible source data for most of the planet. Each imagery camera photo icon on the surface will be a different color, for your selection.

11. Also notice at the bottom of the Google Mars screen, the location of your cursor will be translated to precise planetary “map coordinates”, with position shown in degrees/minutes/-- lat/lon -- north/south/east/west. You also can use map coordinates to find a specific place on the planet, by inserting the coordinates into the “Fly To” box at the top of the sidebar.

That should be enough for anyone to get started in using Google Mars. Please remember, use the Google Mars data for looking at areas of interest. For sure, use only the “spacecraft imagery photographs” for specific detail research and anomaly reporting. There is another tool for use in finding the “spacecraft imagery photographs”, which I will present and discuss later. Questions and suggestions are solicited for this, and all tools, and all can feel free to discuss.

I hope this is helpful for some of you. After we get this Mars tool “settled” I will post other Mars tools of equal or greater importance in our quest for the truth relative to ExtraPlanetary existence. Future tools to be posted will include:

* Mars Rover photo websites
    * Mars Global data/spacecraft imagery
    * Various source data links.

Note, the Google Earth tool can also be used for some degree of research on the Moon, but, so far, “I haven’t been there and done that yet”!
    Last edited by rdunk; 01-29-2012 at 07:24 PM.

This looks a very useful tool. I notice there is a possibility of measuring relative size and distance. That's great. I'd like to see an Anomaly Research group or something like that come together. This field has taken a beating as a result of some of the wilder claims. A more reasoned approach might help the field develop.

Yes, great thread, thanks rdunk!

An Anomaly Research group sounds great, Doc. I agree, there have been far to many wild claims in this field in the past. Hoagland's "Data's head" being one example. It seems that now the tools are available for more reasonable minds to work on this subject. And what better place to do that than right here?
    The OutPost Forum - "Breaking the Boundaries of Science, Exploring the Frontier of Understanding"

I think some of those earlier investigators got caught up in Story Creep, where media demands for more and more sensational information leads to ever less plausible claims and ultimately the topic suffers from a loss of perspective. It seems to me there may be something worth seeing and now maybe the time for the cooler heads and the digital natives to go prospecting!

Doc and Lee. that sounds good to me also. Yes, I too have seen some pretty awful objects posted as supposed anomalies. As a mater of fact, when I first started posting them, I posted a few that were not so good, because of using bad data. But I certainly did learn from that experience.

Yes, the field has taken a beating, as you say, for at least a couple of reasons. One reason is, because the anomalies posted are often poor quality, and have considerably speculative basis. The other reason, is the often relentless debunking conducted, with what seems to be a well coordinated effort, in some of the busiest forums. Many times, the better the quality of the anomaly, the more serious and dedicated the debunking becomes. Of course, one thought remains prevalent - this type of debunking is very intentional, in the guided effort to keep the truth hidden from the public.

But, start with the best data available, follow with detailed research, and hope to find a "few needles in the planetary haystacks", that can present valid and acceptable anomalies.

Doc, I like your term "Story Creep"! An area where that probably really applies in some instances, is with some of the guys who prepare/sell books on the anomalous subjects. The subject matter does need to make a splash to sell the books.

Quote Originally Posted by rdunk View Post
    Doc, I like your term "Story Creep"! An area where that probably really applies in some instances, is with some of the guys who prepare/sell books on the anomalous subjects. The subject matter does need to make a splash to sell the books.
    Thanks. I think there is another name for it but I couldn't think of what is is.

This is a great idea about having an anomaly research team ! I have studied independently quite a bit in the past few years objects like our moon, other planets moons, and asteroids. One important thing Ive learned about when studying an area is to look at it with as many photos that are available because light and shadows can be deceiving.

Thanks rdunk for the tips ! I look forward to learning more.
    Amateur Astronomer/38 years - Cliff-67

Quote Originally Posted by touched View Post
    This is a great idea about having an anomaly research team ! I have studied independently quite a bit in the past few years objects like our moon, other planets moons, and asteroids. One important thing Ive learned about when studying an area is to look at it with as many photos that are available because light and shadows can be deceiving.

Thanks rdunk for the tips ! I look forward to learning more.
    Hi touched! Thanks for the comments! I will look forward to working with you, and others, to build a "team" that can make a difference in what we know about some of the pieces of our part of the Universe! The areas that you specifically mentioned, I haven't spent any real time with. So right off, there are areas where we can help each other! That is what really gives a team approach a strength that exceeds individual contribution.

What you are doing here rdunk is really great!

I look forward to following along and participating when and where I can.