Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tools and Information for ExtraPlanetary Research - Mars

The more eyes on an anomaly, the better!

I'm glad there are more tools available to investigate these anomalies. One view, from one angle, from one perspective for me dose not a Martian make.

Anyway to get a street view on this for example:

LifeOnMarsBARC_800x496.jpg

Hi Chris, thanks for your support! We are dealing with an area that can be very broad, and the more "hands/eyes on", the better will be the results. We will look forward to your comments and opinions in anomalous subject discussions, "when you can"! We always can use "expert advice"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemChild View Post
    I'm glad there are more tools available to investigate these anomalies. One view, from one angle, from one perspective for me dose not a Martian make.

Anyway to get a street view on this for example:

LifeOnMarsBARC_800x496.jpg
    Hello ProblemChild! You are so right - more photos is "more better"! Of course, as it seems to go, when you find an anomaly that needs another angle look, very often we find there is not another photo. A good example is relative to the "horse statue" I just posted. I can't find it in any other different Rover Opportunity photo, and, I haven't been able to find a Mars Orbiter Camera photo of it either. While the horse statue is clearly visible in the Rover photo, it would just be nice to also see it from a little different angle, to give it even better "conformation" (a horse related term ).

Yes, relative to your screenshot, that one has been around the world a few times. I believe that one is another anomaly with only this one photo, that had to be really magnified to even see it as it is here. I believe the general opinion is that it is a rock, but is does have a somewhat human form appearance - - - just so we can have something to talk about!!!

I am posting a number of tools that can be utilized to find and research the NASA Rover photos. While there probably are a host of different Rover links, I will include those that seem of most use to me.

1. http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/images.html - This is a link to a NASA Rover image homepage.

* Go to the link - and look for the sidebar on the left

* Notice the sidebar has a summary of the different categories of Rover images. The category “All Raw Images” is my primary go-to tool for using the Rover images.

* Notice that either Rover Spirit or the Rover Opportunity can be selected here.

* Select whichever you desire, for your research.

* Upon selection of a Rover, a new screen will appear that shows each of the Rover cameras. The primary cameras for the typical research will use either the Panorama Camera photos, or the Navigation Camera photos. When researching, it is useful to use them alternatively.

* The photos are cataloged by Mars Solar Day, referred to as “Sol day”, beginning with day “001”, up to the most recent recorded and released. Rover Opportunity is still alive, while Rover Spirit has quit.

* Notice that on most any Sol day, there are multiple photographs taken.

* Click on a Sol day in one of the cameras, and the page of photos will come up. Select a photo, and another screen will pop up, which shows the image. Notice at the bottom it says “View Full Image - click on that to view a larger image. At this point, you can use your computer tools to magnify the image further, as needed.

* LOOK FOR ANOMALIES!!!!!!

2. http://www.nivnac.co.uk/mer/ - This is a link to a website that takes the Rover photos, does some tinting /colorizing, and then compiles them into “mosaic" photographs, which also make great tools for researching the Martian landscape.

* Go to the link - Notice to the right is a “Categories” section. Here you can select the image source - ie Rover Opportunity. Rover Spirit, and Phoenix.

* Notice there are multiple resolution photos at this site. Typically, use the lower resolution for preview, and the higher resolution for researching.

Notice a “Calendar” to the right. Here, if you have a particular photo date you are looking for, you can select it o the calendar.

* Just FYI, here is a link to one from this site that I have spent a lot of time with. There are numerous anomalies to be found in this mosaic.

http://www.nivnac.co.uk/mer/images/B...pcion_full.jpg

For those who are new to this, just play with these links, and you will get familiar with them pretty quick. Any questions, just post here to discuss!