Page 1 of 145 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

Discuss your favorite and not so favorite Sci-Fi Films, Books, and TV shows. This thread is open to all of our related topics: UFOs and Space Operas, Exopolitics, Paranormal, Fantasy, Alternate Realities. Enjoy!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/

Firefly (TV Series 2002–2003)

Five hundred years in the future, a renegade crew aboard a small, spacecraft tries to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade warring factions as well as authority agents out to get them.
    Creator:

Joss Whedon
    Stars:

Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres and Alan Tudyk

Norenrad mentioned Firefly on the Tag Lines thread so I thought I would use it as a starting point for this thread. I didn't like the series when I first saw it for reasons I might get into later. Later, when Serenity came out I rented it and the film gave me a new appreciation of the series. Re-runs are on frequently, often in a marathon on cable.
    Discuss!

Super! I'll get into this more when I get home.
    This isn't poetry, this is the language of reality.

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed Firefly on DVD, it was so short lived on TV that I missed the original airing entirely.

Reminded me of OUTLAND, the Sean Connery film from 1981.
    Classed as a Space Western. First of it's type I recall viewing.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    I enjoyed Firefly on DVD, it was so short lived on TV that I missed the original airing entirely.

Reminded me of OUTLAND, the Sean Connery film from 1981.
    Classed as a Space Western. First of it's type I recall viewing.
    Outland is still a very enjoyable film. It was called "High Noon in Space" by some. which actually isn't a bad idea.

Firefly became Serenity at a later date. It was great series as either.
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    Firefly became Serenity at a later date. It was great series as either.
    I think the TV series was called Firefly, and the Big Screen Movie was called Serenity.

Not to be a spoiler, but when they killed off a few of the main characters, I figured we probably won't be seeing a sequel...
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

You might be correct

Here: Serenity is a 2005 space western film written and directed by Joss Whedon. It is a continuation of the short-lived 2002 Fox science fiction television series Firefly, taking place after the events of the final episode. Set in 2517, Serenity is the story of the captain and crew of Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship.
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

The Last Gasp...by Trevor Hoyle.

"British marine biologist Gavin Chase uncovers a potential global disaster in which the world is being drained of its oxygen supply as forests and oceanic microscopic plant life, the main suppliers of the planet's oxygen, dwindle away.

When Chase and two other scientists attempt to notify the government and scientific community, they stumble upon a secret Russian-American plan to launch an "environmental war" in which three quarters of the earth's population would be exterminated in order to provide oxygen for the remaining population."

Im not sure, but I thought there was a movie made too. Can't find it though, if not there could be.

I did however find this: "This novel is currently under option by a Hollywood production company."

With the new grahics of today's movie industry, this could be a fantastic movie. It was a great read. And some of the Authors fantasies are now realities. Interesting....
    Last edited by Dragonfire; 02-06-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Sherlock Holmes

Firefly - Serenity Theatrical Trailer

This isn't poetry, this is the language of reality.