Page 3 of 145 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

I'd really like to see a movie made of the "Foundation" book series by Asimov.

I consider it to be the greatest sci fi ever written

Quote Originally Posted by murmur View Post
    I'd really like to see a movie made of the "Foundation" book series by Asimov.

I consider it to be the greatest sci fi ever written
    I was a huge Asimov fan back in the day. Hopes for a Foundation series of films keep coming up. Has anyone ever really tried to get it going?

One of Asimov's contemporaries/competitors wrote a poem about him back then that went something like: "Oh, Doctor A, Oh, Doctor A, How many books did you write today?"

I read the Foundation Trilogy a long time ago and I really enjoyed it, I'll have to read it again because I have forgotten most of it. One book that I really enjoyed was Rendezvous with Rama. I see there was some talk about a movie once, I think that is a fantastic idea. I found a video short on youtube that gets my imagination going.

This isn't poetry, this is the language of reality.

ridley scott has made a prequal to 'alien' that is coming out later this year, called 'prometheus'.

Looks pretty interesting. I've only heard bits of the story, but it has something to do with both humans and the aliens being geneticly engineered by an ancient race called 'progenitors' from zeta reticuli. Humans send astronauts to zeta looking for the progenitors, but run into the alien(s) instead.

Or something like that.

Blog Entries
    Prometheus trailer.

Last edited by calikid; 02-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by aragami View Post
    ridley scott has made a prequal to 'alien' that is coming out later this year, called 'prometheus'.

Looks pretty interesting. I've only heard bits of the story, but it has something to do with both humans and the aliens being geneticly engineered by an ancient race called 'progenitors' from zeta reticuli. Humans send astronauts to zeta looking for the progenitors, but run into the alien(s) instead.

Or something like that.
    "Astronauts going to Zeta Reticuli to look for progenitors" has a familiar ring to it.

I'll be looking forward to it.
    This isn't poetry, this is the language of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by norenrad View Post
    I'll be looking forward to it.
    I wouldn't miss a prequel to Alien!

After Cameron made the Terminator they said he could do anything he wanted for his next project. He said he wanted to do a sequel to Alien. Why Alien, they asked? He said because Alien is the Best Science Fiction film ever made.

Blog Entries
    I watched the Sara Conner Chronicles TV show when it aired.
    Had a hard time with the petite 20 something Summer Glau (River, from Firefly) acting the robotic Terminator part.

Seems to be the trend these days, all the old story lines from the 20th century are new again, just replace the original male protagonist with a female.... nobody will notice!

Anyway, the TV series had some good plot lines, and some of the special effects were enjoyable.
    Both of the two seasons it ran are currently available on DVD.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

I enjoyed the Sarah Connor Chronicles and wish it was still on. (Hey, the last episode had a drone!) I think they cast Summer Glau because of her part in Serenity. I enjoyed her work as the robot girl and thought her small size and grace added to the contrast of "casting against type". The scene where she dances in front of the mirror in her room, trying to be a real person and the uncle who hates robots and distrusts her, watches from the hallway, seeing something totally unexpected and almost impossible to believe--that is some drama!

Speaking of old story lines recast, if you believe in archetypes, the model for Cameron the robot girl is Pinocchio. So is Data from Star Trek TNG. The puppet who wants to be a real live girl. She is programmed to love John Connor and she knows that she isn't real, so she can never attain who she loves. John is finding her more and more attractive and knows the impossibility of it all. The only solution is for her to act as human as she can and for both of them to pretend that what isn't real, is. Sarah begins to notice this happening and hopes she isn't seeing what she is seeing. Now, that is a plot line! The writers wrote it well and the actors pulled it off, I thought.