Page 31 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Revolution: I had given up on this show but decided to watch it one more time. I was pleasantly surprised. Charlie and the rest of the protagonists have at least begun to shed their impossible bumbling foolishness and begun acting like people who have been living in a dystopian jungle for fifteen years. The show looks like it is building toward something which may be worth it after all. Anyone who shoots a looney sadist right through the heart without any pretty speeches is OK by me.
    In the opening credits it starts with Evolution and turns into Revolution, that keeps me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    In the opening credits it starts with Evolution and turns into Revolution, that keeps me wondering.
    In the animated YouTube series Afterworld, which Revolution seems to have been "inspired by", the world loses electricity due to a network of black ops satellites that broadcast a periodic EMP pulse. But the pulse and its consequences had other side effects, including human mutation, climate change, and paranormal effects. Revolution already copied the black ops and climate change aspects, and with Abrams being involved I wonder if it'll segue onto some more esoteric themes eventually.

I saw Cloud Atlas. It was good, and not confusing or hard to follow if you pay attention. Like the summaries say, it's about the battle between the forces of freedom and oppression, and how the souls involved in that fight continue their interplay across multiple lifetimes, with the historical consequences of their past actions playing important roles in their future lives. So it's about reincarnation, karma, and the destiny of mankind.

Only difficult part was understanding some of the pigeon english and asian accent lines. And even at 165 minutes, I felt it would have been better had it been longer, so that each storyline (or at least the future Neo Seoul story) were told in full instead of leaving some things implied, like a full showing of how "the Fall" came about exactly. But overall I think it was an interesting film worth seeing.
    Last edited by montalk; 10-30-2012 at 08:18 PM.

atmjjc posted something about Skin Walkers in http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/s...and-ENCOUNTERS

Four Corners region of the nation, it reminded me of Louis L' Amour's "The Haunted Mesa".

I plan to see it.
    I will see "Cloud Atlas" too. Probably wait and rent it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
    I will see "Cloud Atlas" too. Probably wait and rent it.
    At 162 mins running time, having the option to "pause" for bathroom breaks would be a nice!
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    At 162 mins running time, having the option to "pause" for bathroom breaks would be a nice!
    And the popcorn is cheaper here.

atmjjc posted something about Skin Walkers in http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/s...and-ENCOUNTERS

Four Corners region of the nation, it reminded me of Louis L' Amour's "The Haunted Mesa".
    Related topic: The Skinwalker Ranch is still being investigated...but with far less publicity than when it was a hot topic. I found the number and caliber of the witnesses compelling if not convincing. George Knapp reported on the phenomena and I consider him reliable and consistent. There are "Legends" that became legends because they are based on truth observed and remembered over a long period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinwalker_Ranch

Continuation on coversation from another thread concerning the show 'Grimm'.... Doc said that he finds the character Monroe more interesting than some of the others and below is my comment on the one that I found the most interesting.... so far...

I'm intrigued by Renard... one reason being is because he's the precinct captain and this is one of the only hybrid police shows (or regular police shows for that matter) where the character in that position is not shoved off to the sideline. I had a precinct captain in my immediate family who then went on to become the head detective and then later became the interim police chief of the 3rd largest police force in the country before he finally retired. But it was not only his leadership qualities that helped him to reach the top of the heap because it was also his very well developed 'sixth sense' too.

Because of my own family history and knowing what I know about how such things as having a well developed sixth sense is a noted quality and personal advantage in any law enforcement agency, I'm surprised that more police and detective shows don't work with that certain "quality" that a lot of the top honcho's on any force possess more often than not compared to the ones who don't get promoted as often. In real life, they are indeed more exceptional in certain ways than most mere mortals, or else they would not have attained the high position they are in in the first place but most police shows don't show that -- especially in the area of being more intuitive than most to such an extent that it puts them ahead of everybody else when trying to locate the bad guy.

I'm new to Grimm but am also focusing on Renard for reasons stated above. I'm interested to find out what it is about him that makes him stand out from the rest. Fortunately there are sites on the net about this show and its characters. Overall, I like the concept of this show and in a lot of ways it's very unique and imaginative.
    Last edited by A99; 11-03-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Not to get too far off track here, I do like the show Haven on the SyFy channel. They are going to reveal more about everyone's abilities this season.
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by A99 View Post
    Continuation on coversation from another thread concerning the show 'Grimm'....

I'm intrigued by Renard... one reason being is because he's the precinct captain and this is one of the only hybrid police shows (or regular police shows for that matter) where the character in that position is not shoved off to the sideline. I had a precinct captain in my immediate family who then went on to become the head detective and then later became the interim police chief of the 3rd largest police force in the country before he finally retired. But it was not only his leadership qualities that helped him to reach the top of the heap because it was also his very well developed 'sixth sense' too.

Because of my own family history and knowing what I know about how such things as having a well developed sixth sense is a noted quality and personal advantage in any law enforcement agency, I'm surprised that more police and detective shows don't work with that certain "quality" that a lot of the top honcho's on any force possess more often than not compared to the ones who don't get promoted as often. In real life, they are indeed more exceptional in certain ways than most mere mortals, or else they would not have attained the high position they are in in the first place but most police shows don't show that -- especially in the area of being more intuitive than most to such an extent that it puts them ahead of everybody else when trying to locate the bad guy.

I'm new to Grimm but am also focusing on Renard for reasons stated above. I'm interested to find out what it is about him that makes him stand out from the rest. Fortunately there are sites on the net about this show and its characters. Overall, I like the concept of this show and in a lot of ways it's very unique and imaginative.
    A99, you caught me by surprise!

Skinwalkers and Grimm never crossed my mind.

You are correct. Grimm does hit on what could be considered as "skinwalkers".

First eposide, I hinged on the show not sure about it. Second eposide won me over.

Here is why I love the internet. Missed last night's airing, then caught the missed eposide at Hulu free early this morning.

Captain Renard, prince born out of wedlock and forced away from the family.

Grimm is just getting started, and I see this show holding on for a few seasons. Great writers, great directors, great cast and growing base of fans.