Page 35 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

Quote Originally Posted by newyorklily View Post
    Thanks, Doc, those clips are great. So funny! The Firefly blooper real must be hilarious (there must be one somewhere).
    It sure looked to me as though tough guy Adam Baldwin teared up at the audience response.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The Science Channel did a Firefly marathon yesterday. They also had a Firefly Tenth Anniversary retrospective round table (recorded backstage at this year's Comic Con) with the principle cast and writers present and some interviews with other cast members who were not in attendance. It was very enjoyable and I'd say an absolute must for Firefly fans. Check listings for replays.

Edit to add: I have heard Nathan Fillion say he would go back and do Firefly again in a heartbeat, because it was the "best job" he ever had and the cast and writers were so exceptional. To hear the same enthusiasm and fond memories from Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite, Gina Torres and especially Joss Whedon was really great (and didn't just seem to be polite good manners). The scenes from their panel discussion at 2012 Comic Con were like a family reunion of the show and the fans, who were numerous and very enthusiastic.
    I don't know why Joss Whedon doesn't do something with it, if not a whole tv show, at least make another movie of it. Has he had any big hits since Angel (Dollhouse fizzled pretty quickly)?

Hulu.com airs an episode each Monday and episode 9 should be coming out today (you can watch the whole season on Hulu Plus). How many seasons were there? Only one?
    www.disclosurebeginsathome.wordpress.com
    Disclosure begins at home so start a conversation about UFOs.
    "Debunkers are like school yard bullies." - Kevin Smith to Leslie Kean, August 31, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by newyorklily View Post
    I don't know why Joss Whedon doesn't do something with it, if not a whole tv show, at least make another movie of it. Has he had any big hits since Angel (Dollhouse fizzled pretty quickly)?

Hulu.com airs an episode each Monday and episode 9 should be coming out today (you can watch the whole season on Hulu Plus). How many seasons were there? Only one?
    Lot of great clips.

Blog Entries
    Here is an article on the Firefly Reunion Show http://io9.com/5959794/the-firefly-e...m_medium=email

I hope it gets shown on Hulu.
    www.disclosurebeginsathome.wordpress.com
    Disclosure begins at home so start a conversation about UFOs.
    "Debunkers are like school yard bullies." - Kevin Smith to Leslie Kean, August 31, 2010

Blog Entries
    "Revolution" was more palatable last night.
    Felt like real people dealing with set backs instead of superman heroics for a change.

Interesting that the preview for next week stated the upcoming episode would be featuring music by Led Zeppelin :-)
    Last edited by calikid; 11-13-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: add quotes/splr errors
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Felt like real people dealing with set backs instead of superman heroics for a change.

Interesting that the preview for next week stated the upcoming episode would be featuring music by Led Zeppelin :-)
    What Zeppelin music bed for next eposide? That's what I get for watching online at Hulu after the fact. There was no mention or previews for next week... Will have to visit nbc's regular website and look for a preview.

I gave up at 10:44 of the episode a couple of weeks when it turned out that the Mom got her friend captured and tortured and his daughter abducted. I tried, God knows I tried but I just can't do it anymore. Too many people doing stupid things every week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I gave up at 10:44 of the episode a couple of weeks when it turned out that the Mom got her friend captured and tortured and his daughter abducted. I tried, God knows I tried but I just can't do it anymore. Too many people doing stupid things every week.
    I find the mom segments a simple subplot device.
    Something I discount and tolerate to enjoy the broader picture.
    Seems I have a higher tolerance then you for such distractions. haha.
    I did find it refreshing to see "the uncle" get taken prisoner rather than charge (and subdue) a large group of men armed with automatic weapons. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far...
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

I find the mom segments a simple subplot device.
    Something I discount and tolerate to enjoy the broader picture.
    Seems I have a higher tolerance then you for such distractions. haha.
    I did find it refreshing to see "the uncle" get taken prisoner rather than charge (and subdue) a large group of men armed with automatic weapons. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far...
    After the one good week, it set me off that in the first ten minutes of the next episode Miles says to Charlie, "Don't do that, it's stupid." Charlie immediately jumps up and does it anyway. And guess what? It is stupid! (This is my surprised face. )

The last straw was that Elizabeth Mitchell almost invariably plays the voice of reason in these series. When her character appeared to be a dunce like the rest of them, I gave up.

I swear I am not unreasonable about these things.

I lived happily through Buffy's mother dealing with finding out what her daughter's hobby was and having a fourteen year old new daughter suddenly appear from thin air. I can suspend disbelief as well as the next guy. Heck, I can ignore all the toupees and papier mache cave walls on the original Star Trek. I just can't believe that given a choice between the smart thing to do and the stupid thing to do, a band of hardy survivors can always pick the stupid thing then fumble through and live to be stupid another day. At the very least that means I always know what is coming next. At worst, it aggravates the living crap out of me.

Edit to add: If one of these days Uncle Miles jumps up, grabs Charlie around the neck and chokes her until her eyeballs bug out while screaming in her face, "Stop it! You are killing us!"; call me, I'll come back.

Revolution does have some major draw-backs. Seems a number of years back, there was a similar show but used an EMP to shut down electronics. EMPs are used on and off in film, TV and books. EMPs are easier to digest as reality - because EMPs are reality.

There was the mention of bow and arrows, and Hunger Games. I am not sold on Hunger Games and will not consider renting DVD until it lands on the dollar shelf at the the store. Hunger Games is a storyline that's a rehash of prior stuff. As a film base on a series of books, Hunger Games does have a pay-off of creating new readers for books.

I am giving CW's new take on the Green Arrow a few more eposides.

At first, I was let-down they had failed to use the same actor from Smallville. After a few eposides, I understand why. Producers wanted a clean-break from Smallville and took the storyline a new direction. For die-hard Marvel Comic fans they did throw out teaser by nicknaming Oliver's younger sister "Speedy". Interesting they are using the same castle / home from Smallville that Lex Luther lived in, budget cost.
    Last edited by CasperParks; 11-15-2012 at 07:19 PM.