Page 74 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

Nothing like having fun with promoting a film. Loki out there doing his thing for Thor sequel.

Have not seen the sequel yet, will wait for DVD release and rent it.

I signed up for Amazon Prime a few weeks ago and I am watching some old sci-fi series on streaming video; some I missed the first time around and some I wanted to see again. Right now I'm watching Torchwood, Season 1, in order, filling in where there are episodes I know I never saw. I'm really impressed by the writing and acting. In the pilot, they introduce to the viewer to Torchwood, the super secret agency "above the government, above the U.N." -- a plot device that has been done to death. The writers and actors managed to bring freshness and a different point of view to the this old theme which really impressed me because I expected the same old thing and got something much better. The ensemble cast seemed real from the first scenes, an example of what Roger Ebert used to refer to as "felt life". The cast make you feel as though they are who they are supposed to be and doing what they are written as doing. The chemistry between Captain Jack and Gwen is established immediately, as is the device of Gwen being called by her fiance while she is in the middle of some crucial moment and Gwen smoothly telling him it is just another boring day in training or some other cover story for the exciting truth. I'm going to finish the series wishing there was more. Good thing they are supposed to be making more Torchwood currently.

I am also watching Farscape from the beginning. I have only seen a few episodes in the past and I own the film Farscape:The Peacekeeper Wars. I'm not a huge fan of Farscape although some of my friends are. I do like Ben Browder and Claudia Black and I am hoping that by watching it from the beginning maybe I'll see more in it than I did a few years ago. I have already noticed some clever humor in the dialog that I hadn't seen before.

Off Topic: I was able to get all of the episodes of GranadaTelevision's Sherlock Holmes series which is not available streaming nor is it being shown anywhere. Some i got in new boxed sets and some used. These are the ones with Jeremy Brett from the 1980s that many say are the best "true to the stories" versions ever done. I loved the series when it was first shown on Masterpiece Mystery and I know I'm going to enjoy watching them again. And again.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I signed up for Amazon Prime a few weeks ago and I am watching some old sci-fi series on streaming video; some I missed the first time around and some I wanted to see again. Right now I'm watching Torchwood, Season 1, in order, filling in where there are episodes I know I never saw. I'm really impressed by the writing and acting. In the pilot, they introduce to the viewer to Torchwood, the super secret agency "above the government, above the U.N." -- a plot device that has been done to death. The writers and actors managed to bring freshness and a different point of view to the this old theme which really impressed me because I expected the same old thing and got something much better. The ensemble cast seemed real from the first scenes, an example of what Roger Ebert used to refer to as "felt life". The cast make you feel as though they are who they are supposed to be and doing what they are written as doing. The chemistry between Captain Jack and Gwen is established immediately, as is the device of Gwen being called by her fiance while she is in the middle of some crucial moment and Gwen smoothly telling him it is just another boring day in training or some other cover story for the exciting truth. I'm going to finish the series wishing there was more. Good thing they are supposed to be making more Torchwood currently.

I am also watching Farscape from the beginning. I have only seen a few episodes in the past and I own the film Farscape:The Peacekeeper Wars. I'm not a huge fan of Farscape although some of my friends are. I do like Ben Browder and Claudia Black and I am hoping that by watching it from the beginning maybe I'll see more in it than I did a few years ago. I have already noticed some clever humor in the dialog that I hadn't seen before.

Off Topic: I was able to get all of the episodes of GranadaTelevision's Sherlock Holmes series which is not available streaming nor is it being shown anywhere. Some i got in new boxed sets and some used. These are the ones with Jeremy Brett from the 1980s that many say are the best "true to the stories" versions ever done. I loved the series when it was first shown on Masterpiece Mystery and I know I'm going to enjoy watching them again. And again.
    Amazon prime is nice.

Europa Report

Film was done in documentary style, using cameras normally on a spacecraft of that nature. Inside and outside cameras of the craft, interior and exterior cameras of space helmets. It depicts what may or may not be on the moon Europa.

It would have been interesting to see a panoramic concept of Europa's surface and beneath the ice. However, the documentary style does work.

For the most part, I believe science used in the story is available today. Such a journey is possible. Over-all, the film was decent.

This is a great week for fans of Dr. Who. Leading up to a weekend of Dr. Who 50th Anniversary celebrations, BBC America has Dr. Who Takeover Week with select episodes and specials all day and into the early morning hours. Many of the specials are repeats but they are also the best of what they have produced since the reboot, such as the retrospectives on each of the Doctors with interviews of those who are still with us. The weekend will be more of the same with a new docudrama feature about the development of the first Dr. Who in 1963 and a special film, Day of the Doctors featuring several of the Doctors appearing together which fans absolutely love. If you are a fan of Dr. Who, you probably already know all of this and have noted whatever errors I might have made in the telling. If you are not a fan of Dr. Who, this week is a great introduction and sampling of the best of the series.

Blog Entries
    PERSON OF INTEREST

The series about a computer intelligence that monitors "everything".
    Last episode surprised me, killed off a major character.
    The actor had a good run, demonstrated nice character development.
    Figure that person is moving on to other projects. Funny they would kill them off, lost out on a good opportunity for a spinoff.
    Sad to seem them go.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Here is an old movie from the 50's about UFO's done in documentary style.

This film is a dramatization of the UFO experiences of Al Chop, a Pentagon press liaison throughout the '40s and '50s.

Director Winston Jones starts the film out as a simple documentary. But as it proceeds, he begins to highlight Chop's personal relationship with a UFO investigation. While Chop starts out a Scully, he ends up a Mulder.

At the apex of the action, we are treated to a reenactment of the famous '50s incident in which saucers cruised over the nation's capital.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi01uk View Post

This film is a dramatization of the UFO experiences of Al Chop, a Pentagon press liaison throughout the '40s and '50s.

Director Winston Jones starts the film out as a simple documentary. But as it proceeds, he begins to highlight Chop's personal relationship with a UFO investigation. While Chop starts out a Scully, he ends up a Mulder.

At the apex of the action, we are treated to a reenactment of the famous '50s incident in which saucers cruised over the nation's capital.

This is very good. I am glad you shared this with us all. I would recommend everyone sharing this video to all those who are interested in this subject matter and all those who may not yet know or are very critical of the subject matter.

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by tomi01uk View Post

Thanks for posting this! There are several similar films from that period, some more fictionalized than this, but they all have a unique point of view from that period.

Also, I think the DC Saucer flap made a number of believers of witnesses who were there because it was not at all a usual sight and the explanations thrown out there (temperature inversion) would not persuade anyone who saw the actual lights in the sky.

Blog Entries
    The Walking Dead. Mid season finale.
    WOW! Stunning.
    What a bloodbath.

Will wait another day or two before getting into spoilers. If you are a fan.... must see episode.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008