Page 85 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

Blog Entries
    EXTANT
    Starring Halle Berry
    Network Series premier July 9, 2014.
    Astronaut tries to reconnect with family after a year in space.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Spoiler alert

For any Dr. Who fans out there, seems someone got hold of the scripts for the first 6 episodes this year. Seems true fans are threatening who ever has the episodes and doesn't want them to see them on twitter or facebook. Of course if you want to know..........sorta like knowing what you are getting for Christmas a month before. The thrill just isn't there when you actually get to open the presents........

Each to their own......
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    For any Dr. Who fans out there, seems someone got hold of the scripts for the first 6 episodes this year. Seems true fans are threatening who ever has the episodes and doesn't want them to see them on twitter or facebook. Of course if you want to know..........sorta like knowing what you are getting for Christmas a month before. The thrill just isn't there when you actually get to open the presents........

Each to their own......
    I ruined my Christmas once by looking in my parents' closet (imitating a friend or a TV show or something). They got me something really special and I could not feign surprise on Christmas morning so they saw right through me and were angry/disappointed. I have never done that since. I also ruined Star Wars for myself back in the day by watching a "Making Of" that revealed too many tricks. Just a cautionary tale....

I was looking for some late night diversion last night after a long day's work so I watched Flying Monkeys on SyFy whci I had seen before and knew was boring and mindless enough for the momentary brain rest I had in mind. Like many things that wind up as SyFy films it wasn't a bad idea and even had a few good people in it. Unfortunately the writing was awful. So, the plot turned out to be: Idiot refuses to believe cute monkey turns into demon at night. Idiot dies. Repeat. I turned it off after an hour and fifteen minutes and went to bed. It seemed as if I had been watching it for at least three hours! Oh, well, it served the purpose. Soporific.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The Last Ship went to Hell last night after a good pilot last week. I knew that Navy was lousy at close quarters combat but the crew in the show last night were ridiculous. Nervous sailor shoots at nothing. No guard on the door or watching their back with squad unprotected inside. Oh, well, there's hope. The guys and girls in Falling Skies learned to do it better and I know it is only a story. Anyone watching with even the briefest military training must have been laughing or crying at how miserable they were at moving in a dangerous area. Armed to the teeth and lacking a clue.
    What did you think of S01Ep03?
    The introduction of the Russian Admiral as an adversary look promising to you?

Got to love that line "We didn't want you fueling up for the Atlantic crossing, so we nuked France" Ha!
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post

Got to love that line "We didn't want you fueling up for the Atlantic crossing, so we nuked France" Ha!
    It is getting better--evening out--settling in--not sure what to say but with halfway decent writing and the very good cast I'll keep watching and hoping.

The cable channel SonyHD is running Screamers and Screamers: The Hunting one after another tonight. If you never saw Screamers or haven't seen it in a while this is a good time to see it uncut and maybe for the first time in HD on a good flat-screen TV. Screamers is from a Philip K Dick short story and stars Peter Weller in a tale of war robots which have evolved into complicated, deceptive replicants and have complicated a war on a far-off mining planet. Weller does a great job as a commander who has had enough and wants to find a way to end the war. This is a very low budget film with great writing, fine acting and directing and unless you need wonderful FX to make your entertainment, Screamers is an underrated gem that belongs in your Sci-Fi collection.

Screamers:The Hunting stars Gina Holden with a cameo by Lance Henriksen. It is not in the class of the first film and if it were being shown alone I would recommend that you skip it but it does pick up a loose end from the first film and advance the story, albeit with sequel-itis. Gina Holden tries hard to save it and she is worth watching and a couple of good supporting performances fill in some holes but the script is a hot mess with logical problems that may have you shaking your head. However, with your expectations in the right place, if you need some decent eye-candy for a few hours, this double feature will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The cable channel SonyHD is running Screamers and Screamers: The Hunting one after another tonight. If you never saw Screamers or haven't seen it in a while this is a good time to see it uncut and maybe for the first time in HD on a good flat-screen TV. Screamers is from a Philip K Dick short story and stars Peter Weller in a tale of war robots which have evolved into complicated, deceptive replicants and have complicated a war on a far-off mining planet. Weller does a great job as a commander who has had enough and wants to find a way to end the war. This is a very low budget film with great writing, fine acting and directing and unless you need wonderful FX to make your entertainment, Screamers is an underrated gem that belongs in your Sci-Fi collection.

Screamers:The Hunting stars Gina Holden with a cameo by Lance Henriksen. It is not in the class of the first film and if it were being shown alone I would recommend that you skip it but it does pick up a loose end from the first film and advance the story, albeit with sequel-itis. Gina Holden tries hard to save it and she is worth watching and a couple of good supporting performances fill in some holes but the script is a hot mess with logical problems that may have you shaking your head. However, with your expectations in the right place, if you need some decent eye-candy for a few hours, this double feature will do.
    I remember both films.

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post

Last nights Episode 4 answered the question better. The characters and what is going to happen to them is becoming interesting and overshadowing any lapses. Episode 3 had one of my dramatic pet peeves: people pointing guns at one another and then talking, talking when in real life such a thing includes unbearable tension, incredible danger and with the usual outcomes in TV and Films, the good guys should just shoot the bad guys and the hell with the yakkety-yak! As the immortal Tuco said in TGTBTU: "If your gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

It looks like both shows: The Last Ship and Falling Skies are going to deliver and then some, so I feel like there is something worth watching again. The writers and directors have figured out what to do with the best actors to showcase their strengths.

Blog Entries
    The Strain S01Ep01
    Interesting beginning.
    Plane full of dead people arrives in Manhattan from Europe (reminded me of some past episode of Fringe?!? Busload of dead folks.), with only 4 survivers of 200+ on board "souls".
    Vampires vs CDC. 1hr40min premier.
    Interesting vision of Guillermo del Toro/director.
    Attachment 1008