Page 86 of 146 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Last nights Episode 4 answered the question better. The characters and what is going to happen to them is becoming interesting and overshadowing any lapses. Episode 3 had one of my dramatic pet peeves: people pointing guns at one another and then talking, talking when in real life such a thing includes unbearable tension, incredible danger and with the usual outcomes in TV and Films, the good guys should just shoot the bad guys and the hell with the yakkety-yak! As the immortal Tuco said in TGTBTU: "If your gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

It looks like both shows: The Last Ship and Falling Skies are going to deliver and then some, so I feel like there is something worth watching again. The writers and directors have figured out what to do with the best actors to showcase their strengths.
    Speaking of Falling Skies
    Saw a new credit for Mira Sorvino in the last episode.
    Pope's new tough gal pal?
    Always up for a new hottie addition to the cast.
    Loved her in the Scifi/Horror movie "Mimic".
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Speaking of Falling Skies
    Saw a new credit for Mira Sorvino in the last episode.
    Pope's new tough gal pal?
    Always up for a new hottie addition to the cast.
    Loved her in the Scifi/Horror movie "Mimic".
    I like her in The Replacement Killers too! Interesting, she is one of those people for whom the Academy Award did nothing, career-wise. Made her father proud, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I like her in The Replacement Killers too! Interesting, she is one of those people for whom the Academy Award did nothing, career-wise. Made her father proud, though.
    I was watching BBC last night, saw an advertisement for a new TV series called INTRUDERS that she is starring in.
    Makes me wonder how long she will survive on Falling Skies. Ha!
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Watched TRANSCENDENCE the other night.
    Johnnie Depp/Morgan Freedman.

Not bad. Worth the rental.
    AI wants to rule the world, in benevolent fashion.
    Can't have that!
    Attachment 1008

Watched TRANSCENDENCE the other night.
    Johnnie Depp/Morgan Freedman.

Not bad. Worth the rental.
    AI wants to rule the world, in benevolent fashion.
    Can't have that!
    I watched that too, I kept an open mind though while watching the movie. I didn't presume the AI was doing anything "evil" until it was.

From that perspective (on first try) it seemed like they overreacted as the movie progressed. The only thing that could have passed for "bad" was when it used people as part of it's extensions. Thats about it. Everything else as I watched was basically the presumption that it (The A.I.) was up to no good.

Even through the entire siege I could see the fictional A.I. doing the right things to defend itself in a pretty logical (and strangely restrained) way.

I wasn't too surprised by the ending revealing the intentions being more benign overall than if you go into the movie expecting some Malevolent Super Computer modeled after a human consciousness.

Like the characters mentioned at the beginning, the fictional A.I. followed the most logical steps to secure itself (if it had a self preservation motive in the first place).

The only overtly [possible] threatening gesture the fictional A.I. initiated was contaminating the atmosphere in the movie with microscopic machines. Other than that, not really much else.

More than anything I was surprised that the entire motivation for the fictional A.I. was established by the desire to fulfill the wifes very desires at the beginning of the film. In the end, the "bad guy" was really the human beings. Basic rules of paranoia and self preservation applied for almost all the organic characters. I can't blame them cause that is what it entails (or means) to be human. The fictional A.I. just seemingly displayed that set of human characteristics in a different way. Probably from a more simplistic angle.

Worth watching at least once.
    For every action, there is a corresponding over-reaction. -- Anonymous

Guardians of the Galaxy, decent watch. Good escape. Stan Lee does have a camo. Per marvel films – two special spots at end of film, one at start of credits and second at tail end of credits. They are planning a sequel. Looking forward to it. When first film goes on sale, will buy dvd or blueray.

Blog Entries
    New BBC 4 part series begins Sunday Aug 17th.
    HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION.
    Part 1. Time travel.
    Advertisement showed interviews with many actors, David Tenent (a recent Dr Who) was one of them. Should be fun.
    Attachment 1008

Part 1. Time travel.
    Advertisement showed interviews with many actors, David Tenent (a recent Dr Who) was one of them. Should be fun.
    David Tennant is a huge favorite over here and over there. He seems to enjoy the Dr Who retrospectives and should be interesting to watch in this show.

Blog Entries
    Part 1. Time travel.
    Stupid time zones...
    Sunday alright...at 1am!
    Thank goodness for TiVO.
    Attachment 1008

Stupid time zones...
    Sunday alright...at 1am!
    Thank goodness for TiVO.
    On DirectTV we get a choice of times for most evening shows and BBCAmerica is better than most in that way. This week is a feast for Sci-Fi and Dr Who fans in particular. In the run up to the unveiling of Peter Capaldi's version of the The Doctor, BBCAmerica is running a full menu of old episodes (some of the best from Tennant and Smith), a load of retrospectives with old cast members like Peter Davison, Doctor #5, various companions, standouts like John Barrowman, and where else are you going to get a glimpse at Doctors #5, #6, #7, and #8 at one time, as they did last night? It isn't great art but it is good fun!

It's always fun to watch a new Doctor regeneration and see the companion try to adapt to new person in the same space as the previous Doctor just occupied.
    Sample dialogue:

Doctor: "Kidneys! I've got new kidneys! (pause) Can't say I like the color, though."

Clara: "You don't like the color of your kidneys?"

After progressively younger Doctors, the casting of Peter Capaldi represents a return to a more traditional Doctor...or so both Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat the Show Runner say: More mysterious, more brusk at times, definitely alien and not sure how to deal with humans and their feelings--many of the qualities that fans of the show enjoyed from the very beginning 50 years ago.