Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attachments Maximum

Attachments Maximum

I have reached near the max allowable (1 meg.) for "attachments". I was trying to include another attachment into a new post, and it is more that the file space I have left. How is that handled, so we can continue to post? Is there a way to delete files from the attachment manager, without messing up the posts the attachments are in? What is the protocol?

Thanks!

We'll have to look into that, rdunk. I apologize for any inconvenience, but obviously there is are potential bandwidth issues to consider. I'll get back you.

In the mean time, you could try using an online image hosting site like tinypic - http://tinypic.com It works well and it's easy to use.
    The OutPost Forum - "Breaking the Boundaries of Science, Exploring the Frontier of Understanding"

Quote Originally Posted by rdunk View Post
    I have reached near the max allowable (1 meg.) for "attachments". I was trying to include another attachment into a new post, and it is more that the file space I have left. How is that handled, so we can continue to post? Is there a way to delete files from the attachment manager, without messing up the posts the attachments are in? What is the protocol?

Thanks!
    Can you tell me:

a) what the size was of the attachment?
    b) what file type it was (jpg, png, zip, pdf, ...)?
    c) and what the error message was you got?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Can you tell me:

a) what the size was of the attachment?
    b) what file type it was (jpg, png, zip, pdf, ...)?
    c) and what the error message was you got?
    Hi Garuda! To answer your questions:

a) what the size was of the attachment?--------------------- The attachment file is 94.8KB

b) what file type it was (jpg, png, zip, pdf, ...)?------------- The file type is JPEG

c) and what the error message was you got?----------------- There is not really an error message. After the file is "selected", and then I select "upload", it starts to upload, and then quits. To the right of the file is a little red circle with a little exclamation mark in it. and at the top of the page it shows "946.9KB of 1.0MB used".

So, I have just assumed that the 1.0MB restriction is my upload problem.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. - I did just notice a question mark beside the "946.9KB of 1.0MB used". When I click on that, then a pop-up comes up "Allowed Filetypes", which shows Max file-sizes for allowed file types. Don't know it that enters in to this subject or not.
    Last edited by rdunk; 02-08-2012 at 11:31 PM.

OK, thanks!

That should not happen, UNLESS the file is not 94.8 KB but 948 KB, in which case it's too close to the 1 MB limit.

(Short story and as a rule of thumb: taking into account control bits etc. you may run into trouble with JPGs that are larger than 875 KB).
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    OK, thanks!

That should not happen, UNLESS the file is not 94.8 KB but 948 KB, in which case it's too close to the 1 MB limit.

(Short story and as a rule of thumb: taking into account control bits etc. you may run into trouble with JPGs that are larger than 875 KB).
    Hey Garuda, thanks for your help! I don't know what is causing it to not load that screenshot. It is under 100KB, but it just won't upload it. BUT, I have now tried uploading two different other screenshots, of less that 100KB, and they both loaded.

So, the problem here must be with my photo!!! My info now says I have uploaded 1.005KB of 1.00KB used (available). So, it does go over the restriction anyway.

Again, thanks for your help, and consider this problem closed!

Well, the same problem again. On my attachnents file, it says I have used 1006.7Kb of 1.00MB. That is after it accepted a 59.8KB attachment. I have tried every way I can to post two more attachments, both in the post, and now in a "reply". I have left the site and came back and tried again, and still won't take any more attachments - of 51.8KB and 53.9KB, according to the upload file window.

Any ideas??

Thanks for your help!

rdunk

Hi rdunk,

You could try deleting your cookies. If that doesn't work you might want to try one of the free image hosting sites such as tinypic, hostimage or imageshack.
    The OutPost Forum - "Breaking the Boundaries of Science, Exploring the Frontier of Understanding"

Hi Lee! Thanks for the info, however, I did the cookie thing, and nothing changed, and I tried different photos around 60 Kb and still would not load. As I said, I had three pics for the post, and the first loaded just fine, but it did take me over the 1.00MB maximum, so it would appear not to be my system/photo problem. I don't know why using a third source would make it any different. But, as I have said prior, I just don't use such sources anyway, for privacy reasons (as if there is any such thing as "privacy" any more, especially under the current POTUS/administration)

Have any others here reached the 1.00MB file photos maximum? And no one else has had this problem, I guess?

Again thanks!

rdunk

It sounds like your OutPost account is maxed, unless you delete some of the images that you have already uploaded, it will stay that way; it all has to do with bandwidth and server space. I use Imageshack and Photobucket.

Example:

This isn't poetry, this is the language of reality.