Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian scientists regenerate ice age plant 30,000 years old

Russian scientists regenerate ice age plant 30,000 years old

Silene-stenophylla-006.jpg
    Russian scientists regenerate ice age plant

Experiment used fruit and seeds from a Siberian squirrel burrow that had been stuck in the permafrost for over 30,000 years. (Associated Press in Moscow)

It was an ice age squirrel's treasure chamber, a burrow containing fruit and seeds that had been stuck in the Siberian permafrost for over 30,000 years. From the fruit tissues, a team of Russian scientists managed to resurrect an entire plant in a pioneering experiment that paves the way for the revival of other species.

The Silene stenophylla is the oldest plant to be regenerated, the researchers said, and it is fertile, producing white flowers and viable seeds.

The experiment proves that permafrost serves as a natural depository for ancient life forms, said the Russian researchers, who published their findings in Tuesday's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States.

"We consider it essential to continue permafrost studies in search of an ancient genetic pool, that of pre-existing life, which hypothetically has long since vanished from the earth's surface," the scientists said in the article.

(Read the rest here)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-ice-age-plant

Hi Doc,

The interesting part of the story is the Plants are seeding and seem to be adapting well. I hope that they are being kept in a sterile environment. Looks like another step towards cloning a Woolly Mammoth and other creatures of that era. At least Woolly will be welcomed with familiar flora.
    American by birth, Cherokee by blood and Southern by the Grace of God!

Blog Entries
    Wow! Thanks for posting that, Doc.

If that is what they are getting from Siberia, I wonder what they are getting from Lake Vostok. It will be interesting to see what they find and regenerate from there.
    www.disclosurebeginsathome.wordpress.com
    Disclosure begins at home so start a conversation about UFOs.
    "Debunkers are like school yard bullies." - Kevin Smith to Leslie Kean, August 31, 2010

Species die out for a reason. Something that old was not killed off by humans. Is it really wise to re-intoduce something that was lost, just because we can?

Reminds me of Jurasic Park.

God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man creates Dinosaurs, man becomes God. And in the end, Dinosaurs eat God!!!

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    Species die out for a reason. Something that old was not killed off by humans. Is it really wise to re-intoduce something that was lost, just because we can?

Reminds me of Jurasic Park.

God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man creates Dinosaurs, man becomes God. And in the end, Dinosaurs eat God!!!

As Dr. Ian Malcolm said in 'Jurassic Park' - "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

OK, I can't resist...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    OK, I can't resist...

I love that last line!
    www.disclosurebeginsathome.wordpress.com
    Disclosure begins at home so start a conversation about UFOs.
    "Debunkers are like school yard bullies." - Kevin Smith to Leslie Kean, August 31, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by newyorklily View Post
    I love that last line!
    They still knew how to make movies then. An iconic performance from Jeff Goldblum, the best acting anyone ever got out of Laura Dern, plus Samuel L Jackson AND the evil mailman, Wayne Knight.

Blog Entries
    Truly a marvel.
    Another quote from the first J.P., "Life will find a way".
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008