Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rendlesham Forest incident - Britian's Roswell

I seem to recall a long effort to pry loose radar reports from nearby bases. The government story sounded fishy to me at the time. How about US F-15s being scrambled several nights to chase unidentifieds? USAF personnel wre talking about that around here a few months later, long before the story was known publicly here.

Good afternoon,

Newyorkilly all I can advise regarding the devastating fire was that it occurred around 1980 late in the evening 'night shift' and during the latter part of the year Summer/Autumn time. The fire was in a base in the Suffolk / Norfolk area a smaller monitoring base. If memory serves me well 'it normally does' I recall 3 souls were drown or incinerated resulting in having no means of escape. Those same tenders having to literally fill the entire bunker as the fire was very hard to control and extinguish.

After the re-fit mentioned and officers refusing duties, the cause of concern was taken so seriously that afterwards the bunker was filled in 'with concrete'. Reason being that the haunting was deemed extremely serious as those few brave officers who had attended duties below were tortured by the un-seen. Equipment went berserk, secure blast doors would malfunction effectively into lock-down, worse still physical harm and attacks occurred. I had the pleasure of knowing one officer concerned 'who had worked in the facility' he was an outstanding chap and an excellent martial arts instructor very gentle and very dangerous. He was a close family friend and I sensed the change in him after this incident, Lord have mercy upon him for he later hanged himself.

A new bunker was eventually constructed at the base, yet the location of the old bunker was fenced off. Of a night time around the time of the incident you would hear cry's, shouting and other sounds of distress and suffering from underground.

Doc you are indeed right about the air-craft manoeuvres and the scrambling to ascertain the many UFO's. The 1980's the early part of the 80's the peaceful British countryside was alive some evenings with much activity. I enjoyed the shear size of some of the formations scrambled at times wondering where all the planes had come from I am talking whole squadrons and varieties.

God bless all those people who sacrificed for our safety and security I know some of them became empty shells after witnessing certain events.

Kind regards

M

Quote Originally Posted by lux aurea in obscuro View Post
    Good afternoon AdverseCamber,

I have to give you credit for the confusion if only these incidents were so easily explained. Firstly allow me to defend the honour of this thread as well so we can all come to at least an logical conclusion based on facts not disinformation.

You mention Pam Titchmarsh DS8/UFO desk mentions no UFO reports on radar, however we are in 1983 talking about something still classified so I take it with a pinch of salt.

Also you mention in 1994 Nick Pope manning UFO desk responds to Central TV that no UFO was seen on radar during the period in question, Nick Pope the former spook I'd believe him too. To say no UFO was seen on radar they must of had them switched off? Radars pick up an assortment of UFO's all the time until the unidentifiable becomes the identifiable. Although Mr Pope can be somewhat convincing in his raptures I'd rather believe that my local dustman is like Tesla and comes from Venus.

If I were to take an out of the box approach to this incident as a many American cousins do with Roswell would I believe to we are talking about a weather balloon they saw? 'the official story'. Allow me to lay down my amour and explain, you ask me if 'I imply that the new kit was more effective than pre-existing fixed installations'. Yes indeed I do and you are correct in your assumption it is not 'conventional radar' it's military radar and not just radar.

Also to add the RAF and USAF bases in the local area were being 'upgraded' as previously mentioned. I feel you already know this I also have a feeling you may even have been party yourself to such knowledge? If so I shall add for your benefit so as we gain a better understanding of each other and to a degree a small amount of trust. A very serious fire broke out in the monitoring bunker of one such base I am not referring to the well documented 1966 fire at Neatishead. The fire occurred while those on duty were observing UFO phononmen this fire was so bad that unfortunately loss of life occurred because of the tenders filling the bunker and despite a re-fit as the facility was not decommissioned and not reported or known of by the press. This facility became haunted and serving officers would refuse to carry out duties.

The military are aware yet are unable to investigate as they have no powers or influence over these crafts and entities. Today I ponder upon what new 'kit' they operate as it would surly make our I pad's and the like look like technological antiques.

AdverseCamber I thank you for your investigative assistance and hope others are also forthcoming others who also have contributions to make without fear of reprisal.

Kind regards

M
    Hello again M,

Okay, so you don’t trust Titchmarsh (MoD spokesperson) that’s your prerogative.

However it’s worth pointing out that any unidentified flying objects penetrating UK Air Defence Radar over the Christmas period should have been recorded by the highly sensitive equipment of the SOC at RAF Neatishead. The T84/85 radars there, in conjunction with Watton, gave excellent radar coverage of Bentwaters runway area almost off the end of the runway for departure and, to touchdown on arrival. Checks on Neatishead’s tapes had evidently been carried out when Pam Titchmarsh at DS8 contacted RAF (Ops) room in March 1983.

But if you think she's a liar, well, fair enough I suppose.

As for Pope being a 'former spook', I fear you accord him far too much power with this statement as he was a low-level civil servant and manning the UFO desk was a part-time appointment he was tasked with, Rick Doty he certainly ain’t.

The East Anglian countryside is dotted with powerful radars some of which date back to the Second World War and as I said Derek Coumbe who was on duty as commander of Eastern Radar on the night Col Halt called requesting confirmation of his sightings:

“They were very jumpy and panicky on the phone…..But I personally checked the radar picture and there was absolutely nothing to be seen. They kept coming back and implying there should be something but we kept a watch on it through the whole period and nothing was seen.”
    If you don’t believe Coumbe that’s again your prerogative although I personally believe he has absolutely no reason to lie about this, also I couldn’t help but notice you still haven’t really answered my only question concerning the radar but rather dismissed out of hand the official sources I supplied.

Quote Originally Posted by AdverseCamber View Post
    Radar, really?

This is news to me, what’s your source for this information?
    So when you wrote, Over the space of several evenings radar sightings and distant lights from the forest being observed by many key witnesses this was a conclusion you arrived at based on just the one inaccurate witness statement or are you aware of any relevant witnesses or documentation pertaining to this aspect?
    Do you have or are you aware of any real-world documentation that can corroborate your following claim?

Quote Originally Posted by lux aurea in obscuro View Post
    We can conclude that indeed the incident had taken place absolutely no argument. Over the space of several evenings radar sightings and distant lights from the forest being observed by many key witnesses.
    I.e. any documented radar returns or any of the key witnesses whom you allege observed them?

Blog Entries
    Actually, we have no idea if there was or wasn't any radar reports because all of the files on the Bentwaters incident have gone missing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12613690

2 March 2011 Last updated at 22:43 ET

UFO files reveal 'Rendlesham incident' papers missing
    By Neil Henderson BBC News

Intelligence papers on a reported UFO sighting known as the "Rendlesham incident" have gone missing, files from the National Archives reveal.
    The missing files relate to a report of mysterious lights from US servicemen at RAF Woodbridge in Suffolk in 1980.
    The disappearance came to light with the release of 8,000 previously classified documents on UFOs.
    Officials found a "huge" gap where defence intelligence files relating to the case should be, the papers show.

www.disclosurebeginsathome.wordpress.com
    Disclosure begins at home so start a conversation about UFOs.
    "Debunkers are like school yard bullies." - Kevin Smith to Leslie Kean, August 31, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by newyorklily View Post
    Actually, we have no idea if there was or wasn't any radar reports because all of the files on the Bentwaters incident have gone missing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12613690

Huh?

'All' the files?!

Actually, what’s your source, especially considering the ones I’ve supplied, that the missing files contained any radar data?

You seem to be implying that because some (NOT "all") of the files are missing that these must contain the data requested when I’ve shown that’s not the case by identifying the files that DID contain the data.

Have you read this thread (or the released Rendlesham files) at all?

All of which is entirely beside the point anyway as lux made the statement that radar data actually existed, unless of course you’re asserting he was mistaken?

Britain's most famous UFO sighting is the Rendlesham Forest incident - referred to in America as the Bentwaters incident. It took place in December 1980 over a series of at least two nights. Most witnesses were United States Air Force personnel based at the twin bases of RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge, in Suffolk. Witnesses included the Deputy Base Commander, Lt Col Charles Halt.

Nick Pope undertook a cold case review of the Rendlesham Forest incident in 1994, while working on the MoD's UFO project. He has written about the case extensively in the media and discussed it on numerous TV shows.

In the early hours of 26 December 1980, military personnel at the twin bases saw strange lights in the forest. Thinking an aircraft might have crashed, they went out to investigate. What they found was a small triangular-shaped craft that had landed in a clearing in Rendlesham Forest. Nearby farm animals were going into a frenzy. One of the security police officers, Jim Penniston, got close enough to touch the side of the object. He and another of the airmen present, John Burroughs, attached sketches of the craft to their official USAF witness statements. One of these sketches details strange symbols Penniston saw on the craft’s hull, which he likened to Egyptian hieroglyphs.

<snip>

Two nights later, the UFO returned. The Deputy Base Commander, Lt Col Charles Halt, was informed and together with a small group of men went out into the forest to investigate. As they progressed, radio communications were subjected to interference and powerful mobile generators (called light-alls) that Halt had brought to illuminate the forest began to cut out. Despite his initial plan to “debunk” the UFO sighting, Halt and his team then encountered the UFO, which at one point fired beams of light down at his party and at the Woodbridge facility. "Here I am, a senior official who routinely denies this sort of thing and diligently works to debunk them, and I'm involved in the middle of something I can't explain", he subsequently commented.

Charles Halt documented his encounter by recording his observations on a hand-held cassette recorder. The 17 minutes of tape are widely available on the internet. Halt reported the various incidents to the MoD in a memorandum dated 13th January 1981. Despite the innocuous title “Unexplained Lights”, the document described the UFO as being “metallic in appearance and triangular in shape ... hovering or on legs”. In what may have been either a typographical error or a slip of the memory, Halt gave incorrect dates for both sightings, recording each as having taken place a day later than was, in fact, the case.

The MoD’s investigation included an inconclusive search for radar evidence that might have corroborated what was seen, but the error in the dates meant the wrong tapes were checked. Of far more interest was an assessment of radiation readings that had been taken from the landing site with a Geiger counter. The readings had peaked in three holes in the ground which formed the shape of an equilateral triangle, which had been found at the spot where the craft landed. The Defence Intelligence Staff stated that the readings seemed “significantly higher than the average background”. Their report suggested that the radiation level was around seven times what would have been expected for the area concerned. This was confirmed to Nick Pope in 1994 by the Defence Radiological Protection Service.

Read full story here http://www.nickpope.net/rendlesham-forest.htm

Also, The MoD files; http://www.nickpope.net/mod-ufo-files.htm
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

From: http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham.htm & http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/appendix.htm

This is the text of the single-page memo written by Lt. Col. Halt to the UK’s Ministry of Defence. It was on official US Air Force headed notepaper but was not classified in any way. The memo was released under the US Freedom of Information Act in June 1983 by the US Air Force to Robert Todd of the pressure group Citizens Against UFO Secrecy (CAUS). Note that the USAF had thrown out their own copy, evidently regarding it as of no further interest, and this copy actually came from the British MoD. The memo was dated 13 January 1981, over a fortnight after the events that are described had happened, and headed Unexplained Lights. The items in parentheses are all Halt’s:

THE HALT MEMO

1. Early in the morning of 27 Dec 80 (approximately 0300L) two USAF security police patrolmen saw unusual lights outside the back gate at RAF Woodbridge. Thinking an aircraft might have crashed or been forced down, they called for permission to go outside the gate to investigate. The on-duty flight chief responded and allowed three patrolmen to proceed on foot. The individuals reported seeing a strange glowing object in the forest. The object was described as being metallic in appearance and triangular in shape, approximately two to three meters across the base and approximately two meters high. It illuminated the entire forest with a white light. The object itself had a pulsing red light on top and a bank(s) of blue lights underneath. The object was hovering or on legs. As the patrolmen approached the object, it maneuvered through the trees and disappeared. At this time the animals on a nearby farm went into a frenzy. The object was briefly sighted approximately an hour later near the back gate.

2. The next day, three depressions 1.5 inches deep and 7 inches in diameter were found where the object had been sighted on the ground. The following night (29 Dec 80) the area was checked for radiation. Beta/gamma readings of 0.1 milliroentgens were recorded with peak readings in the three depressions and near the center of the triangle formed by the depressions. A nearby tree had moderate (0.05–0.07) readings on the side of the tree toward the depressions.

3. Later in the night a red sun-like light was seen through the trees. It moved about and pulsed. At one point it appeared to throw off glowing particles and then broke into five separate white objects and then disappeared. Immediately thereafter, three star-like objects were noticed in the sky, two objects to the north and one to the south, all of which were about 10 degrees off the horizon. The objects moved rapidly in sharp, angular movements and displayed red, green and blue lights. The objects to the north appeared to be elliptical through an 8-12 power lens. They then turned to full circles. The objects to the north remained in the sky for an hour or more. The object to the south was visible for two or three hours and beamed down a stream of light from time to time. Numerous individuals, including the undersigned, witnessed the activities in paragraphs 2 and 3.

(Signed)
    Charles I. Halt, Lt Col, USAF
    Deputy Base Commander

A NOTE ON THE DATES:
    When Col. Halt wrote this memo he relied on memory for the dates, which we now know he got wrong by one day in each case. For the record, in paragraph 1, 27 Dec should be 26 Dec, and in para 2, 29 Dec should be 28.

As well as the wrong dates, there are inconsistencies between what Halt says in this memo about the radiation readings and what we hear on his tape, presumably also due to faulty memory.

If Halt kept a diary, he evidently never recorded these events in it – a curious omission if he really thought they were of significance. In fact, Col Halt seems never to have written up any account of his involvement in the sightings beyond what is contained in this memo, although in 2010 he did write and sign a notarized affidavit summarizing his involvement. Unfortunately this affidavit, compiled from memory 30 years after the events, is riddled with errors and exaggerations.
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

I did find this from: http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/cosmicrend.html

Caught On Radar

East Anglia has always had extensive radar coverage, ever vigilant for a possible invasion from across the North Sea. This ensured that the object seen on 26th of December was detected. At RAF Neatishead, an unidentified object appeared on the radar and created panic in the control room. It returned no signal and was outperforming the RAF's finest aircraft. As they lost it off screen at a phenomenal speed, the matter was subject to a major investigation. The Neatishead radar tapes and those from nearby RAF Watton were requisitioned three days later. Remarkably, when USAF intelligence officers visited Watton to collect the film, they claimed that a UFO had crashed into the forest. Senior officers from a nearby USAF airbase witnessed the event, they said, and they had even seen aliens floating in beams of light underneath the spacecraft. Incredibly, the radar officers were not even told to keep this extraordinary story secret.
    Sherlock Holmes

Blog Entries
    "...they had even seen aliens floating in beams of light underneath the spacecraft."

That's news to me. Never heard of the floating aliens before. Does anyone else recall who may have made this claim?
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    I did find this from: http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/cosmicrend.html

Caught On Radar

East Anglia has always had extensive radar coverage, ever vigilant for a possible invasion from across the North Sea. This ensured that the object seen on 26th of December was detected. At RAF Neatishead, an unidentified object appeared on the radar and created panic in the control room. It returned no signal and was outperforming the RAF's finest aircraft. As they lost it off screen at a phenomenal speed, the matter was subject to a major investigation. The Neatishead radar tapes and those from nearby RAF Watton were requisitioned three days later. Remarkably, when USAF intelligence officers visited Watton to collect the film, they claimed that a UFO had crashed into the forest. Senior officers from a nearby USAF airbase witnessed the event, they said, and they had even seen aliens floating in beams of light underneath the spacecraft. Incredibly, the radar officers were not even told to keep this extraordinary story secret.
    Thanks DF but as I mentioned in an earlier post then unless at least one reference is provided detailing specifics then this is very likely just another case of hearsay (originating with the News Of The World front page article) being parroted and touted as fact without any kind of independent fact checking.

Or in this particular article it seems to be more a case of Chinese whispers.

I posted the information that directly addressed this in my earlier comment which is based on verifiable information available at http://uk-ufo.org :

However it’s worth pointing out that any unidentified flying objects penetrating UK Air Defence Radar over the Christmas period should have been recorded by the highly sensitive equipment of the SOC at RAF Neatishead. The T84/85 radars there, in conjunction with Watton, gave excellent radar coverage of Bentwaters runway area almost off the end of the runway for departure and, to touchdown on arrival. Checks on Neatishead’s tapes had evidently been carried out when Pam Titchmarsh at DS8 contacted RAF (Ops) room in March 1983.
    Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    "...they had even seen aliens floating in beams of light underneath the spacecraft."

That's news to me. Never heard of the floating aliens before. Does anyone else recall who may have made this claim?
    I could hazard a guess but its news to me as well and it sort of reinforces what I’ve just said to DF regarding the veracity of the source...