Thread: Post limit in printable view

Blog Entries

Post limit in printable view

On ProBoards when you clicked the "Print" button in any thread you were given a single html file that contained all images, embeds, etc.
    By contrast vBulletin breaks up the printable version into pages. By default there are 10 posts per page but you can up that to 40. I have seen vBulletin-based forums where this limit is 200 posts.
    Could this limit be increased or disabled altogether (if there is an option for it)? That would prove more practical as:

1. Archiving (i.e. manually saving) longer threads would be quicker
    2. It does not readily make sense that an html file that will be sent to the printer should be pre-paginated on the server side. The browser will break it up into pages anyway. If someone wants to only print a certain range of posts, they could check out in Print Preview which pages those posts fall on and then set up the Print dialog to send only those pages to the printer.

It could be though that removing/increasing the limit could place a heavier load on the servers, so this might not be a good idea but who knows. Also, i know that the forum has an "Archive" section that has single-page archives for each thread but these not only lack images but also have all custom formatting removed.

Hi Neuru: We will look into that and get back to you. Thanks for bringing it up.

Hi, we haven't forgotten your question. We are checking on the consequences of making a change.

Blog Entries
    I guess it didn't work out then. Thank you for addressing it anyway.
    Last edited by Neuru; 04-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuru View Post
    I guess it didn't work out then. Thank you for addressing it anyway.
    It took a while to find out but it would increase the server load, change the page view count, and disrupt existing links, so, making a change would be a big disruption. Thanks for being so patient.

Blog Entries
    Ok, no problem. ProBoards probably has several hundred (if not thousand) servers, so that's probably why it doesn't matter to them. The load gets levelled there.