Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dr. Suzanne Gordon: The Near Death Experience.

Here's the link to a video of an interesting NDE, which was posted recently on our ACISTE organization's experiencers-only social networking site:

By the way, Outpost Forum members--or others you know--who have had NDEs or similar profoundly life-transforming experiences can join the experiencers-only conversation by clicking on the link to our main ACISTE site, here: http://www.aciste.org/ . Then scroll down to the box titled "Join our free peer online networking site" and click on info@aciste.org for an invitation. (There are some researcher-members there, but only those who have had NDEs or similar experiences.)

Also, mental health professionals among us may be interested in attending the ACISTE conference this October in SF, CA. Conference information is posted on the main ACISTE site.
    Last edited by spinningshields; 07-15-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: looking for the video embedding function keykey :-/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningshields View Post
    Hi, atmjjc, good question! No, this was not my research focus--as an ethnographer, I was focused on how experiencers themselves interpret and express the meaning and impact of their NDEs, within the context of their day-to-day lives, and in recounting their life histories. My colleague, psychologist Kenneth Ring, did a study of blind-from-birth NDE experiencers (who did, in fact, describe visual phenomena during their NDEs), titled, Mindsight: Near-Death and Out-of-Body Experiences in the Blind.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon that lets you search inside the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mindsight-Near.../dp/0595434975
    Thanks for the reply Spinningshields,

Dr Ring was one of the leading pioneers in the field of NDE in the 90’s. The fact that the blind from birth have experienced NDE with visual memories of the event, IMO is a slam dunk in the validity of the experience.

Neuroscience which was leading the charge in an effort to explain what was going on with people whom experienced a NDE showed strong evidence that the area of the temporal parts of the brain was coping with the physiological trauma of the dying brain as an explanation.

Neuroscientists are now rethinking their position due to the experiments that have been done with the congenital blind (blind from birth)and their experience explained as having a visual explanation in their narrative of their NDE.

We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’

Quote Originally Posted by atmjjc View Post
    Thanks for the reply Spinningshields,

Dr Ring was one of the leading pioneers in the field of NDE in the 90’s. The fact that the blind from birth have experienced NDE with visual memories of the event, IMO is a slam dunk in the validity of the experience.

Neuroscience which was leading the charge in an effort to explain what was going on with people whom experienced a NDE showed strong evidence that the area of the temporal parts of the brain was coping with the physiological trauma of the dying brain as an explanation.

Neuroscientists are now rethinking their position due to the experiments that have been done with the congenital blind (blind from birth)and their experience explained as having a visual explanation in their narrative of their NDE.

Yes. And another influence on the thinking about the significance of these experiences is comprised of recent findings in brain-mind research itself! Bruce Greyson, who is featured in the videos you posted, and who was on my dissertation committee, has written a great deal about how recent brain-mind research is influencing thinking in near-death studies (e.g., in the chapter he wrote in the text, Varieties of Anomalous Experience). As he argues, the materialist explanations of NDEs as 'nothing but' symptoms of a dying brain simply do not wash; they do not explain the veridical (evidential) experiences of those who can describe events they have witnessed, which are confirmed by others, while experiencers were documented to be clinically dead . . . and sometimes, when they were also known to have been blind at the time of being pronounced dead, and in some cases even blind from birth.

Really appreciate the Lloyd Pye account of his mother's near/after-death experience posted here recently--whoa! It reminds me of my mother's explanation of why she had returned to life after being pronounced dead when I was 10 years old: "I didn't want to come back. But then I heard you kids calling me."

Here's a video of Dr. Stanley Krippner, who'll be one of the main speakers at the ACISTE conference in San Mateo, CA, this October, speaking on the impact of NDEs and other spiritually transformative experiences (STEs) and the need to educate mental health professionals about the needs of experiencers as they seek to integrate and live out the meaning of these experiences: