Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Military News

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epo333 View Post
    How North Korea could kill 90 percent of Americans

The mainstream media, and some officials who should know better, continue to allege North Korea does not yet have capability to deliver on its repeated threats to strike the U.S. with nuclear weapons. False reassurance is given to the American people that North Korea has not “demonstrated” that it can miniaturize a nuclear warhead small enough for missile delivery, or build a reentry vehicle for an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of penetrating the atmosphere to blast a U.S. city.
    Yet any nation that has built nuclear weapons and long-range missiles, as North Korea has done, can easily overcome the relatively much simpler technological challenge of warhead miniaturization and reentry vehicle design.

Indeed, North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un has been photographed posing with what appears to be a genuine miniaturized nuclear warhead for ballistic missiles. And North Korea does, in fact, have two classes of ICBMs—the road mobile KN-08 and KN-14—which both appear to be equipped with sophisticated reentry vehicles.

Much more at link.. ..

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...ericans-at-any
    IMHO, Sounds a bit like fear mongering.
    Reads like a self-serving Military assessment, that justifies pouring BILLION$ into defense budget$.

Also, Not sure how smuggling a nuke or two into the USA (one premise of the article) would take out "90% of Americans" before a retaliatory strike takes out 100% of North Korea.
    While NK does pose a legitimate threat (even a single nuke strike with minimal casualties should be avoided), IMO this article may overstate the potential impact.

My concern at this time has to do with strikes against US allies in that region. Japan, South Korea, etc.
    A much more pressing issue.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    IMHO, Sounds a bit like fear mongering.
    Reads like a self-serving Military assessment, that justifies pouring BILLION$ into defense budget$.

Also, Not sure how smuggling a nuke or two into the USA (one premise of the article) would take out "90% of Americans" before a retaliatory strike takes out 100% of North Korea.
    While NK does pose a legitimate threat (even a single nuke strike with minimal casualties should be avoided), IMO this article may overstate the potential impact.
    IMHO, the leader of NK is nuttyer the a friut cake and will do an attack at some point.

I don't think the its the nuke blast that will effect millions as much as any EMP effects. Just 30% loss of power grid for even 6 months would have a killing event.

Not just hospitals, nursing homes, lack of food deliveries, but masses of desperate people will also be a big problem.

Blog Entries
    IMHO, the leader of NK is nuttyer the a friut cake and will do an attack at some point.

I don't think the its the nuke blast that will effect millions as much as any EMP effects. Just 30% loss of power grid for even 6 months would have a killing event.

Not just hospitals, nursing homes, lack of food deliveries, but masses of desperate people will also be a big problem.
    Pretty nutty alright.
    I get the feeling that NK is simply China's lapdog.
    And China enjoys watching the tiny Shih Tsu bark at the formidable American Pit Bull.
    I would hope his leash gets pulled before the Pitbull executes the rag doll maneuver. Never a pretty sight.
    Attachment 1008

Pretty nutty alright.
    And China enjoys watching the tiny Shih Tsu bark at the formidable American Pit Bull.
    I would hope his leash gets pulled before the Pitbull executes the rag doll maneuver. Never a pretty sight.
    I wouldn't doubt it...

Pretty nutty alright.
    Comment on Todays Missile Strike in Syria . . .

This was a “measured” response by the US against the violation of international laws regarding use of chemical weapons. IMO, this was the correct move on Trumps part. Nice that he showed his hand around the same time as his negotiations with the Chinese Precedent here in the states. Shows resolve or some backbone in going forward wrt to the North Korean issues.

Just think of the ramifications of North Korea screwing up and actually hitting one of our allies in the Pacific Rem. Rest assured there are a few USS Sea Wolf Class subs in strategic locations poised for just such an event!!!

Sorry to say each one is capable of ending life on ALL seven continents.

epo333

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese President Xi Jinping called for a peaceful resolution of rising tension on the Korean peninsula in a telephone conversation with U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday, as a U.S. aircraft carrier strike group steamed towards the region.

Trump, in an early morning note on Twitter, said the call with Xi, just days after they met in the United States, was a "very good" discussion of the "menace of North Korea". The call came as an influential state-run Chinese newspaper warned that the Korean peninsula was the closest it has been to a "military clash" since North Korea's first nuclear test in 2006.

The communication between the leaders underscored the sense of urgency as tension escalates amid concern that reclusive North Korea could soon conduct a sixth nuclear test, or more missile launches, and Trump's threat of unilateral action to solve the problem.

Trump ordered the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier group to head to the Korean peninsula in an attempt to deter North Korea's nuclear and long-range missile ambitions, which it is developing in defiance of U.N. resolutions and sanctions.

Class and type: Nimitz-class aircraft carrier
    Displacement: 101,300 long tons (113,500 short tons)[1]
    Length: Overall: 1,092 feet (332.8 m)
    Waterline: 1,040 feet (317.0 m)

Beam: Overall: 252 ft (76.8 m)
    Waterline: 134 ft (40.8 m)

Draft: Maximum navigational: 37 feet (11.3 m)
    Limit: 41 feet (12.5 m)

Propulsion: 2 × Westinghouse A4W nuclear reactors
    4 × steam turbines
    4 × shafts
    260,000 shp (194 MW)

Speed: 30+ knots (56+ km/h; 35+ mph)
    Range: Unlimited distance; 20–25 years
    Complement: Ship's company: 3,200
    Air wing: 2,480

Crew: 6,062
    Sensors and
    processing systems: AN/SPS-48E 3-D air search radar
    AN/SPS-49(V)5 2-D air search radar
    AN/SPQ-9B target acquisition radar
    AN/SPN-46 air traffic control radars
    AN/SPN-43C air traffic control radar
    AN/SPN-41 landing aid radars
    4 × Mk 91 NSSM guidance systems
    4 × Mk 95 radars

Electronic warfare
    & decoys: SLQ-32A(V)4 Countermeasures suite
    SLQ-25A Nixie torpedo countermeasures

Armament: 2 × Mk 57 Mod3 Sea Sparrow
    2 × RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile
    3 × Phalanx CIWS

Armor: Unknown
    Aircraft carried: 90 fixed wing and helicopters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Carl_Vinson
    Last edited by epo333; 04-12-2017 at 11:36 PM.

EXCLUSIVE – Congressional Expert: North Korea Prepping EMP Catastrophe Aimed At U.S. Homefront

TEL AVIV – While the international community and news media focus on North Korean missile tests and the country’s nuclear program, one expert warned on Sunday that North Korea may be secretly assembling the capability to take out significant parts of the U.S. homeland via an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack.
    Dr. Peter Vincent Pry is executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security and is the chief of staff of the Congressional EMP Commission.

Speaking on this reporter’s talk radio program, Pry pointed to two North Korean satellites that are currently orbiting the U.S. at trajectories he says are optimized for a surprised EMP attack. “Aaron Klein Investigative Radio” is broadcast on terrestrial radio on New York’s AM 970 The Answer and NewsTalk 990 AM in Philadelphia and online.

Pry was referring to the KMS 3-2 and KMS-4 earth observation satellites launched by North Korea in April 2012 and February 2016 respectively.

He warned: “They are positioning themselves as sort of a nuclear missile age, cyberage version of the battleship diplomacy in my view. So that they can always have one of them (satellites) very close to being over the United States or over the United States.

“Then if a crisis comes up and if we decide to attack North Korea, Kim Jong Un can threaten our president and say, ‘Well, don’t do that because we are going to burn your whole country down.’ Which is basically what he said. I mean, he has made threats about turning the United States into ashes and he connected the satellite program to this in public statements to deter us from attacking.”

“If you wanted to win a New Korean war,” added Pry, “one of the things you would certainly consider doing is taking out the United States homeland itself.”

Pry surmised the North Koreans may be taking the idea from a Soviet plan during the Cold War to attack the U.S. with an EMP as part of a larger surprise assault aimed at crippling the U.S. military.

“During the Cold War, the Russians had a secret weapon they called a fractional orbital bombardment system,” he explained. “And the idea was to do a surprise EMP attack against the United States by disguising a warhead as a satellite. Because a satellite trajectory is different from an ICBM trajectory that is aiming to go into a city. You know, for accuracy on an ICBM you launch it on a lower energy, 45-degree angle that follows a classic ballistic trajectory. Like a rifle. To land your missile on a city.”

Pry continued of the original Russian plan:

But if you put a satellite in orbit it follows a different trajectory. It doesn’t have accuracy but it puts the satellite up there so that it stays in permanent orbit so it looks different in terms of the trajectory. And guys watching their radar screens tend not to get alarmed when they see a missile being launched on that satellite trajectory. Because they assume it is for peaceful purposes. …

So, the idea was to put a nuclear weapon on a satellite. Launch it on a satellite trajectory toward the south so it is also flying away from the United States. Orbit it over the South Pole and come up on the other side of the earth so that it approaches us from the south.

Because we didn’t during the Cold War and even today we still don’t have ballistic missile early radar warnings looking south. We don’t have any national missile defenses to the south. We are blind and defenseless to the south. We can’t see anything coming from that direction. Then when this gets over the United States you light it off so that it does an EMP attack.

Pry stated that in the Soviet plan, “They were mainly interested in paralyzing our strategic forces, our strategic command and control and communications so that we couldn’t talk to our forces. Maybe take out some of the forces themselves. And that would give them time to then launch their mass attack across the North Pole to blow up our ICBMs. So, kill them once with the EMP. Kill them twice by blasting our bases by using their long-range missiles. That was the Russian plan. But the cutting edge of the plan was this surprise EMP attack.”

North Korea, by contrast, “doesn’t have enough missiles or sophisticated missiles to blow up our missile bases and bomber bases. What they seem to be doing with the satellites is the EMP part of the Soviet plan.”

“I think what they are mainly going for is the unhardened electric grid,” Pry surmised. “Transportation, communications, all of the other civilian critical infrastructure that we depend upon to keep our population alive.”

Pry spotlighted recent North Korean nuclear and missile tests minimized by the news media for reported failures. When viewed through the lens of potential preparations for an EMP attack, Pry warned, the tests were actually successes.

more at link below:

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2...u-s-homefront/

Blog Entries
    EXCLUSIVE – Congressional Expert: North Korea Prepping EMP Catastrophe Aimed At U.S. Homefront

<snip Image>

TEL AVIV – While the international community and news media focus on North Korean missile tests and the country’s nuclear program, one expert warned on Sunday that North Korea may be secretly assembling the capability to take out significant parts of the U.S. homeland via an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack.
    Dr. Peter Vincent Pry is executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security and is the chief of staff of the Congressional EMP Commission.

<snip text>

more at link below:

http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2...u-s-homefront/
    I wouldn't want to downplay how terribly inconvenient knocking out a region the size of Los Angles would be, but the USA is a big place.
    The thought of two satellites knocking out the entire US infrastructure seems unlikely.
    Add to that for the past few decades, we have had satellite killing missiles capable of being fighter-plane launched, that can take down those satellites should we feel the need.
    IMHO, it seems like the damage estimates are being overestimated. Possibly to justify additional War funds, in a country that already militarily outspend$ every other country in the world.

Not really clear on why Mr Fry, "chief of staff of the Congressional EMP Commission", is making these comments in Tel Aviv Israel. But it would not surprise me to learn he is angling for additional funding for his commission.
    After all, if you are a hammer the world looks like a nail.

Seems like the rhetoric from NK has been reduced of late. Goodness knows China is a massive trading partner with the US, and would not take kindly to NK interfering with commerce.
    Maybe China has managed to calm down NK a bit. Let's hope.

BTW, EPO I think it is important information and needs monitoring. Thanks for sharing. I'm just not so sure the sky is falling.
    Attachment 1008

I wouldn't want to downplay how terribly inconvenient knocking out a region the size of Los Angles would be, but the USA is a big place.
    The thought of two satellites knocking out the entire US infrastructure seems unlikely.
    Add to that for the past few decades, we have had satellite killing missiles capable of being fighter-plane launched, that can take down those satellites should we feel the need.
    IMHO, it seems like the damage estimates are being overestimated. Possibly to justify additional War funds, in a country that already militarily outspend$ every other country in the world.

Not really clear on why Mr Fry, "chief of staff of the Congressional EMP Commission", is making these comments in Tel Aviv Israel. But it would not surprise me to learn he is angling for additional funding for his commission.
    After all, if you are a hammer the world looks like a nail.

Seems like the rhetoric from NK has been reduced of late. Goodness knows China is a massive trading partner with the US, and would not take kindly to NK interfering with commerce.
    Maybe China has managed to calm down NK a bit. Let's hope.

BTW, EPO I think it is important information and needs monitoring. Thanks for sharing. I'm just not so sure the sky is falling.
    The way I read it, the reporter is reporting from TEL AVIV on what they heard from a talk show in New York. (New York’s AM 970)

I wouldn't what to find out what a 50kt detonation 2 or 3 hundred miles up could actually do to our PWR Grid, maybe nothin' maybe somthin'!

The way I read it, the reporter is reporting from TEL AVIV on what they heard from a talk show in New York. (New York’s AM 970)

I wouldn't what to find out what a 50kt detonation 2 or 3 hundred miles up could actually do to our PWR Grid, maybe nothin' maybe somthin'!
    Ouch... It would not surprise me if something to that effect happened, via a bomb or natural EMP from space / sun.