Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Military News

Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    Ouch... It would not surprise me if something to that effect happened, via a bomb or natural EMP from space / sun.
    Yes Casper, whether from a bomb, or major CME or any other reason the PWR Grid in the USA goes down we would have to go it alone.

Here is a bit of fear mongering . . . or is it?

May 9, 2017, by Ken Jorgustin
    Without Electricity Most Of The Population Will Not Survive

It really is incredible when you start to think deeply about our reliance upon electricity and the terrible disastrous consequences of being without it for a long period of time. Heck, even a relatively short period of time without electricity will likely result in people “losing it”…

How long will it take without electricity until lots of people literally begin to die?

What will be the specific chain of events that will lead to the deaths of so many people?

Given the current events as of this post date (the reported supposition that NK may have orbiting EMP capability) I felt this would be a good “food for thought” exercise, albeit grim.

Any thinking person would have to admit that indeed there would be great loss of life if electricity (our life blood) were to vanish.

Why would there be such great loss of life? Because our modern society has become 100% reliant upon it. Most all of our infrastructure is dependent on electricity for it to work. It is a great challenge to come up with a list of infrastructure-related things that do not in some way depend upon a source of electricity.

How long would it take before a significant number of people begin to die off?

I believe that it would begin sooner than most people may think…

I have written about this scenario a number of times over the years and I really have not changed my view too much on this (except one). I have always felt that if the lights went out in America (grid-down), it is my opinion that ultimately 70% – 90% would not survive.

One major viewpoint that I’ve adjusted is how long this would take to occur (the 70% – 90%). When I first hypothesized this years ago, I felt that an approximate one year time frame would be required to finally reach those numbers. I believe that this thinking was incorrect. It would be much sooner than that.

Given the lack of drinking water after the pumps stop working and holding tanks drain,

Given that most people have less than one week’s worth of food at home,

Given that the majority of people live in urban areas,

I feel that these facts alone will seal their fate within one to three months. One month for many, and certainly within three months for most. There simply will not be enough food available within our just-in-time system and this will immediately begin the timeline to starvation. The lack of drinking water will bring about end-of-life even sooner.

63% of Americans live in cities (source).
    81% of Americans live in urban areas (source).

While 19% live in rural areas, most of them too are reliant upon electricity. Of the 19% how many are self-reliant and able to procure water and food without pumps, electricity, and grocery stores… enough to last throughout the year?

What do we require to stay alive? Water, Food, Shelter, Security. How long until these things become no longer available after the electricity goes out?

Potential Sequence of Events After “Lights Out”

Thousands trapped in elevators

ALL electrical appliances shut down-refrigerators, heating, A/C

ATM machines are inoperative

Banks and other businesses shut down

Gas stations without generators cannot pump fuel

Water faucets begin to run dry in some areas without utility generators

Toilets will no longer flush without water pressure

Drug stores and supermarkets being stripped

Law enforcement overwhelmed by emergencies and outbreaks of looting

Batteries on laptops, cell phones, and flashlights are dying

Conflicting descriptions of power outage, unknown expected duration

Officials disagree regarding recommended actions

Bridges, tunnels, highways becoming clogged with refugees

Gas stations running out of fuel (those that could pump)

Water is at a premium

Some emergency generators assist in pumping water and sewage (limited)

Many ‘unprepared’ are running out of food

Beginning to panic, discovering widespread outage ramifications

The “Oh $hit” moment of realization…

Any .gov emergency rations are depleted

Many of the elderly and infirm have died

Hospitals overwhelmed and struggling to perform emergency services

Military attempts to maintain semblance of order, but not enough personnel

Looting (especially cities) has become rampant

Millions upon millions are ‘on their own’

People have become deeply frightened and fear for their lives

Most are now entirely running out of food to eat

Many are dying in regions without access to water

Many are dying in regions/climates where there is no heat (if during winter)

Disease (e.g. typhoid fever, cholera) from eating tainted food, water, poor sanitation

Martial Law is declared (perhaps/probably much sooner)

Many drug-dependent patients are dying

The millions with severe psychotic disorders (no more meds) create bedlam

People and communities fighting over resources

Home invasions and violence-related die-offs

Escaped prisoners, organized gangs, more violence-related die-off

Communities are slowly starving

3 months, 70% – 90% are dead

The issue of all the bodies…

Note: I know that there are those of you who do not accept the possibility that something of this magnitude could or would actually occur, however this is just a thought exercise ��

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/system...l-not-survive/
    Last edited by epo333; 05-12-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by epo333 View Post
    Yes Casper, whether from a bomb, or major CME or any other reason the PWR Grid in the USA goes down we would have to go it alone.

It really is incredible when you start to think deeply about our reliance upon electricity and the terrible disastrous consequences of being without it for a long period of time. Heck, even a relatively short period of time without electricity will likely result in people “losing it”…

How long will it take without electricity until lots of people literally begin to die?

What will be the specific chain of events that will lead to the deaths of so many people?

Given the current events as of this post date (the reported supposition that NK may have orbiting EMP capability) I felt this would be a good “food for thought” exercise, albeit grim.

Any thinking person would have to admit that indeed there would be great loss of life if electricity (our life blood) were to vanish.

Why would there be such great loss of life? Because our modern society has become 100% reliant upon it. Most all of our infrastructure is dependent on electricity for it to work. It is a great challenge to come up with a list of infrastructure-related things that do not in some way depend upon a source of electricity.

How long would it take before a significant number of people begin to die off?

I believe that it would begin sooner than most people may think…

I have written about this scenario a number of times over the years and I really have not changed my view too much on this (except one). I have always felt that if the lights went out in America (grid-down), it is my opinion that ultimately 70% – 90% would not survive.

One major viewpoint that I’ve adjusted is how long this would take to occur (the 70% – 90%). When I first hypothesized this years ago, I felt that an approximate one year time frame would be required to finally reach those numbers. I believe that this thinking was incorrect. It would be much sooner than that.

Given the lack of drinking water after the pumps stop working and holding tanks drain,

Given that most people have less than one week’s worth of food at home,

Given that the majority of people live in urban areas,

I feel that these facts alone will seal their fate within one to three months. One month for many, and certainly within three months for most. There simply will not be enough food available within our just-in-time system and this will immediately begin the timeline to starvation. The lack of drinking water will bring about end-of-life even sooner.

63% of Americans live in cities (source).
    81% of Americans live in urban areas (source).

While 19% live in rural areas, most of them too are reliant upon electricity. Of the 19% how many are self-reliant and able to procure water and food without pumps, electricity, and grocery stores… enough to last throughout the year?

What do we require to stay alive? Water, Food, Shelter, Security. How long until these things become no longer available after the electricity goes out?

Potential Sequence of Events After “Lights Out”

Thousands trapped in elevators

ALL electrical appliances shut down-refrigerators, heating, A/C

ATM machines are inoperative

Banks and other businesses shut down

Gas stations without generators cannot pump fuel

Water faucets begin to run dry in some areas without utility generators

Toilets will no longer flush without water pressure

Drug stores and supermarkets being stripped

Law enforcement overwhelmed by emergencies and outbreaks of looting

Batteries on laptops, cell phones, and flashlights are dying

Conflicting descriptions of power outage, unknown expected duration

Officials disagree regarding recommended actions

Bridges, tunnels, highways becoming clogged with refugees

Gas stations running out of fuel (those that could pump)

Water is at a premium

Some emergency generators assist in pumping water and sewage (limited)

Many ‘unprepared’ are running out of food

Beginning to panic, discovering widespread outage ramifications

The “Oh $hit” moment of realization…

Any .gov emergency rations are depleted

Many of the elderly and infirm have died

Hospitals overwhelmed and struggling to perform emergency services

Military attempts to maintain semblance of order, but not enough personnel

Looting (especially cities) has become rampant

Millions upon millions are ‘on their own’

People have become deeply frightened and fear for their lives

Most are now entirely running out of food to eat

Many are dying in regions without access to water

Many are dying in regions/climates where there is no heat (if during winter)

Disease (e.g. typhoid fever, cholera) from eating tainted food, water, poor sanitation

Martial Law is declared (perhaps/probably much sooner)

Many drug-dependent patients are dying

The millions with severe psychotic disorders (no more meds) create bedlam

People and communities fighting over resources

Home invasions and violence-related die-offs

Escaped prisoners, organized gangs, more violence-related die-off

Communities are slowly starving

3 months, 70% – 90% are dead

The issue of all the bodies…

Note: I know that there are those of you who do not accept the possibility that something of this magnitude could or would actually occur, however this is just a thought exercise ��

Great post!

IMO, it's a not a question of "if", it's "when".

Quote Originally Posted by epo333 View Post

Thanks for posting - Great read....

Of mindset: "It is best to prepare for it, and hope it never happens. But if it does, be ready for it."

I think infrastructure, power and communications lines should be designed to withstand something of this nature - that "just in case scenario"....

Blog Entries
    Ok EPO, so if I read your estimates correctly, it would take about a year for the "die off" to occur.
    My question is: Why would we go without electricity for a year?
    Hugh outages have already occurred in recent history.
    A CME did shutdown part of Canada.
    Also, in a separate incident a cascade failure in the grid did shutdown a large part of the eastern US seaboard, for several days.
    The loss of power was VERY scary/inconvenience. But repairs were make. As I recall, the main problem was large transformers (that were damaged beyond repair) are not stockpiled, had to be rush manufactured and deployed.
    Why wouldn't we make the repairs and move on?
    Don't see NK surviving the aftermath, if they initiated the strike.
    After a US BOOMER leveled NK, I'd think repairs to the grid would progress unimpeded.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Ok EPO, so if I read your estimates correctly, it would take about a year for the "die off" to occur.
    My question is: Why would we go without electricity for a year?
    Hugh outages have already occurred in recent history.
    A CME did shutdown part of Canada.
    Also, in a separate incident a cascade failure in the grid did shutdown a large part of the eastern US seaboard, for several days.
    The loss of power was VERY scary/inconvenience. But repairs were make. As I recall, the main problem was large transformers (that were damaged beyond repair) are not stockpiled, had to be rush manufactured and deployed.
    Why wouldn't we make the repairs and move on?
    Don't see NK surviving the aftermath, if they initiated the strike.
    After a US BOOMER leveled NK, I'd think repairs to the grid would progress unimpeded.
    Some of those were regional and only the larger substation transformers (and controllers) were damaged beyond repair on site.

Now a deliberate 50kt detonation say 200 miles high would extent to a much farther horizon, maybe only 500 mile radius with an immense pulse, not only taking out hundreds of sub-stations but them thousands of smaller step-down transformers the supply the lower voltages to every house and business.

Just drive down a rural road and you'll see what I mean. some poles have a transformer supplying a single house, some going to two or tree houses. That's the 220 volts going to your main panel. You will also notice some poles with 2 or 3 small transformers, they normally supply businesses with the 3phase delta power in the 440 volt needs.

Anyway imagine 10 or 20 thousand of those puppies wiped out! That's where the replacement ain't likely in a years' time. We won't mention the idea of a few nuclear power plants needing cooling pumps 24/7 and running out of fuel for their generator's that maintain temps for spent fuel rods, reactors, and control systems.

The biggest long term problem will be food production. Even a small town of say 8000 people will still need an average of at least 1800 calories per day per person. So how much water would we need to grow that. How much fuel (calories?) would we need to harvest and ship/distribute produce.

Then there the livestock, for a while I suppose.

Anyway seems very scary indeed . . .

N. Korea test-fires missile, challenging new leader in South

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- North Korea on Sunday test-launched a ballistic missile that flew for half an hour and reached an unusually high altitude before landing in the Sea of Japan, the South Korean, Japanese and U.S. militaries said. The launch, which Tokyo said could be a new type of missile, is a direct challenge to the new South Korean president elected four days ago and comes as U.S., Japanese and European navies gather for joint war games in the Pacific.

It wasn't immediately clear what type of ballistic missile was launched, although the U.S. Pacific Command said that "the flight is not consistent with an intercontinental ballistic missile." Japanese officials, however, said the missile flew for about 30 minutes, traveling about 800 kilometers (500 miles) and reaching an altitude of 2,000 kilometers (1,240 miles) — a flight pattern that could indicate a new type of missile.

David Wright, co-director of the Global Security Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists, said the flight indicates that the missile could have a range of 4,500 kilometers (about 2,800 miles) if flown on a standard, instead of a lofted, trajectory; that would be considerably longer than Pyongyang's current missiles.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/skorea-ri...221238531.html

Blog Entries
    I read this last NK missile landed closer to Russia than Japan.
    Guess now we'll see how Mr. Putin likes having a seat in the game.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Impressive display, 90 second video linked.
    Watch the US Navy's laser weapon in action
    Already deployed on the USS Ponce amphibious transport ship is the US Navy's first - in fact, the world's first - active laser weapon.

Guessing it won't be long before we discover how effective E.T.'s "shields" perform under duress?!
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Impressive display, 90 second video linked.
    Watch the US Navy's laser weapon in action
    Already deployed on the USS Ponce amphibious transport ship is the US Navy's first - in fact, the world's first - active laser weapon.

Guessing it won't be long before we discover how effective E.T.'s "shields" perform under duress?!
    Great find! Thank you for posting.

It's quite amazing that the Navy would install this on an old (launched in 1970), LPD (Amphibious Transport/Landing Dock) vessel.

I myself, was a crewman onboard LPD-8 (the exact same class as the USS Ponce), and simply put, LPD's are not first-line combatant vessels, they are armed transport ships that carry USMC personnel (about a thousand), that half fill with water allowing landing craft to exit from the 'well deck' located in the stern (no more going over the 'side' down a rope ladder).

They are fairly lightly armed as well. LPD-15's listed armament are: "two 20mm Phalanx CIWS, (looks like R2D2 and are usually for defense only), two 25mm Mk 38 guns, eight .50-calibre machine guns". Likely, she also carries a Stinger Missile squad as well (we did).

This ship is homeported at the dreaded 5th fleet headquarters in Manama, Bahrain (a s***hole if I ever saw one), and perhaps the Navy felt she needed some extra firepower being "forward deployed" and so close to potential enemy combatants.

Now armed with this laser, she's got some serious teeth to her.

EDIT: Wikipedia states that the Ponce was scheduled to be decommissioned in 2012 but was reprieved to act as a base for Sea Dragon mine-sweeping helicopters operating in the Persian Gulf.
    Last edited by Wansen; 07-21-2017 at 04:15 AM.

To North Korea (for your big day):

Something old
    and something new
    Something bold
    from the Red, White and Blue

Sincerely yours,
    The United States Navy
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi