Thread: Monolith on Mars

Monolith on Mars

From Filer's Files #18:

Mars Rectangular Monolith Boulder

Amateur stargazers have discovered an intriguing object jutting out from the surface of Mars. The seemingly perfectly rectangular, upright structure, found in NASA images of the Red Planet, bears a striking resemblance to the monoliths planted on Earth and the moon by aliens in the classic sci-fi film "2001: A Space Odyssey."
    The object in question was first spotted several years ago after being photographed by the HiRISE camera onboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, a NASA space probe; every so often, it garners renewed interest on the Internet. But is it unnatural — a beacon erected by aliens for mysterious reasons, and even more mysteriously paralleled in the imaginations of Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke, creators of "2001"? Or is this rock the work of nature?
    According to Jonathon Hill, a research technician and mission planner at the Mars Space Flight Facility at Arizona State University, who processes many of the images taken during NASA's Mars missions, the object in question is no more than a roughly rectangular boulder.
    The HiRISE camera that photographed it has a resolution of approximately 1 foot (30 centimeters) per pixel — impressive considering the 180-mile (300-kilometer) altitude from which it photographs the Martian surface, but not quite sharp enough to capture the cragginess of a mid-size boulder. "When your resolution is too low to fully resolve an object, it tends to look rectangular because the pixels in the image are squares. Any curve will look like a series of straight lines if you reduce your resolution enough," Hill told Life's Little Mysteries.
    A monolith placed on Earth by aliens in "2001: A Space Odyssey."
    CREDIT: Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer (MGM) via YouTube coldshouldermulder
    The location of the boulder at the bottom of a cliff near many other boulders suggests it broke off the cliff and tumbled to its current spot sometime in the distant past, Hill said. Such a perilous location is itself an argument against deliberate placement by aliens: "If I was going to build a monolith somewhere, that's the last place, I would put it!" he said. "The debris falling from the cliff would cover it up pretty quickly, on geologic timescales." Hill added that, the height of the boulder is being exaggerated in the photo by a low sun angle. The ufologists aren't necessarily wrong in calling it a monolith — the word simply translates from Latin as "one stone." But this monolith isn't the masonry of Martians. Thanks to John Schuessler
    Note: Even after a million years or so there is little of no other debris at this location on Mars.

Monolith on Mars, forgot about that one...

As you can see the monument is part of a geomarker on Mars, not just a single monument alone. This image was drawn from the map corrected image from the MOC, and indeed the marker points due North.

So, thus far monoliths have been found on Mars, Phobos and Iapetus, if I remember correctly.

Right?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post

As you can see the monument is part of a geomarker on Mars, not just a single monument alone. This image was drawn from the map corrected image from the MOC, and indeed the marker points due North.
    19.5?

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    So, thus far monoliths have been found on Mars, Phobos and Iapetus, if I remember correctly.

Right?
    Mars, Phobos, yes they do have structures which look like monoliths, but Iapetus, only find reference I am finding is to Arthur C. Clarks 2001 as having a monolith and Iapetus, and that in orbit around it, but that was only fiction, so far as we know.

There are several possible monoliths that were spotted on the Earth's Moon, they were referenced in the OMF so if that is restored we may be able to retrieve those as well.
    Last edited by majicbar; 05-13-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Mars Structures

How about these structures! They are located in Coprates Catena
    129-291004-0438-6-3d1-01-CopratesCatena_H.tif

129-291004-0438-6-3d1-01-CopratesCatena_Hmod2.jpg

I also found a large area of structures in Orcus Patera. Watch at YT in HD fullscreen.
    The link to the image is in the video description.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post

Right?
    From Richard Hoagland's site, "tower-like structure in Iapetus".