Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well..watcha think..?

Well..watcha think..?

The shots below were taken on Saturday 3rd december 2011 using a Canon 50D ISO 200. f/5.6, 1/1000sec @250mm, +2/3 EV [overcast, wind approx 35 mph, light horrible]

I asked Pete [the kite surfer] If he saw anything, but his reply was "...I was concentrating on the trick"

The 1st shot shows the "object" and the previous 5 shots [the 50D does 6.5 shots/sec] show the "object as a brilliant white light. These are straight outta the camera, apart from resizing for web, and are not, clouds, swamp gas, superman, or birds. I do this for a living, so do know the difference

Wow! Great shots, Musado!

I wonder if the UFO was watching as well?!?!

When I saw the top picture first, my initial thought was it might have been a seagull.

But seagulls don't light up to reflect the light the way it happens in the second picture. That seems to have a metallic glow to it.

And, yes, nice pictures indeed!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Lens flare?
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Great shots Musado!

Unfortunately, it appears the metadata (Exif) was stripped out when it was saved ... [Save For Web 080].

The object (as well as the background) is out of focus... the rest can only be speculation.

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

The EXIF data is in my original post Marvin

Due to the poor light I had to go to f/5.6 to get the detail on the kitesurfer, which blurs the background slightly. If it had been bright & sunny it would've been f/8 - f11, which would've made the background a lot sharper, with the whole shot being in focus front to back

Saving for web in Photoshop always strips the EXIF data unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Musado View Post

Due to the poor light I had to go to f/5.6 to get the detail on the kitesurfer, which blurs the background slightly. If it had been bright & sunny it would've been f/8 - f11, which would've made the background a lot sharper, with the whole shot being in focus front to back

Do you still have the original, with EXIF data?
    And if so, how can we get a copy to Marvin? We could create a folder on the server I guess for items to be downloaded.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Those are interesting pictures. I always find them more persuasive when they come from someone I know and without any great claims. Those look like they might be something more than a bird or lens flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Musado View Post

Hey Musado,

I am aware you supplied a summary of the metadata, but there is other metadata information that can be very helpful to determine distance and velocity (for example the difference in time the images were captured). I am also aware that “Save For Web” will strip out the metadata (the purpose is to shrink the file size as much as possible for web transfer by jettisoning the “unwanted” metadata and to reduce the “image information” or detail/resolution by 20%, as in your case).

I can see the object in question is not self luminous, it is only reflecting light. No, it does not appear to be lens flare. The Sun is toward the horizon (to the left of the camera and maybe a bit behind the camera).

I am assuming the wind is blowing towards the background (the direction the camera is pointed… and a little to the left) based on the direction the wind turbines (or mills) are facing.

Any additional information will be helpful.

M
    Last edited by Marvin; 12-08-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Clarification

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

I have some similar object showing up in my photo's also018 - Crop.jpg19 crop.jpg