Page 52 of 88 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Edge Technology in the news

From ABC News:

Earl: World’s First Solar-Powered Backcountry Survival Tablet:

Jon Perry says his inspiration behind making a tough, reliable and rugged expedition gadget came from his long-time outdoorsy companion – his dog Earl. Now the world’s first backcountry survival tablet, also named Earl, is in development and asking for some crowdsourcing support.

Through June 9, you can be a project backer and reserve your own unit for just $249, 30 percent below the expected retail cost. Unit production is on track to begin in July, according to a post on the project website.

Earl is solar-powered, features a 6″ flexible Amazon Kindle-looking E-ink touch screen and is water/dust/shock/mud-proof. The tablet runs a version of Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and keeps you connected while braving the wild with GPS onboard, FRS, GMRS and MURS two-way radio connectivity for up to 20 miles, and a built in AM/FM/SW/LW radio tuner.

The device can reach full charge on five hours of sunlight and that’s enough power for 20 hours of operation. Other mountain man features are “glove friendly” touch, gyroscope motion controls and the ability to measure temperature, humidity and barometric pressure.

Read more at ABC News
    Also found this, similar:

Another style for flying car / plane in development.

Published on May 6, 2013 at youtube

TF-X™ is the practical realization of the dream of countless visions of the future; it is designed to be the flying car for all of us. In order to achieve this long-sought-after vision, Terrafugia will focus the TF-X™ program with clear goals that enhance the safety, simplicity, and convenience of personal transportation. We believe these goals are achievable today.

Terrafugia's Transition Street-Legal Airplane is laying the ground work for TF-X as a Poof of Process for flying cars. Learn more at: Terrafugia
    Wonder what the cost will be?

Blog Entries
    Who says crime doesn't pay? Now if they live long enough to spend it. Black Ops payback?

8 charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist

By Chris Isidore

Federal prosecutors unsealed charges Thursday against an alleged cybertheft ring accused of stealing $45 million from banks around the globe and using the loot for Rolex watches, luxury cars and other booty.

The charges were announced in Brooklyn, N.Y., by U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch.

The eight defendants charged Thursday withdrew $2.8 million from New York banks in two separate attacks this past December and February, Lynch said. Each attack was pulled off in a matter of hours.

While the eight were taking the money from the New York banks, additional co-conspirators made more than $42 million in withdrawals at other banks across the world.

Authorities are still searching for other members of the global crime ring, Lynch said.

How the alleged theft went down

The ring used prepaid MasterCard debit cards that were issued by the National Bank of Ras Al-Khaimah PSC, located in the United Arab Emirates, and the Bank of Muscat, located in Oman.

The thieves hacked into the banks' systems to drastically increase the amount available on the cards, and then used the information about the cards to withdraw money at banks around the world.

Bill Stewart, a senior vice president at Booz Allen, said that while these hackers might have been sophisticated, using common criminals to withdraw cash from ATM machines shows that some cybercrime is still surprisingly low tech.

"The run of the mill criminals are more common [in cybercrime] than you think," said Stewart, an expert on cybercrime who works with financial firms.

He said the fact that the hacked banks were in the Middle East shows that cybersecurity in the global financial system is only as strong as the weakest link.

"There are still many institutions these days are not practicing good security hygiene," he said. "So these kinds of attacks work."

The eight suspects allegedly made nearly 3,800 separate transactions to withdraw the $2.8 million. That makes it the second largest theft on record in New York City, surpassed only by the 1978 Lufthansa heist made famous in the movie "Goodfellas."

While $45 million is one of the largest global bank robberies on record, it is not the largest. In July 2007, the media reported that guards at a private bank in Baghdad made off with at least $282 million in U.S. currency that was being stored there.

During the first attack in December 2012, the New York group allegedly withdrew $400,000 in 750 separate ATM transactions at more than 140 different locations in New York City in less than three hours.

Then in February, the perps withdrew $2.4 million in 3,000 ATM withdrawals made in just over 10 hours. Lynch described the group as a "virtual criminal flash mob, going from machine to machine drawing as much money as they can before these accounts are shut down."

They deposited some of the cash into bank accounts, in one case putting almost $150,000 in $20 bills into one account. They also bought expensive cars, watches and other luxury items.

Federal authorities said they have seized bank accounts, hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, two Rolex watches and a Mercedes SUV. They are in the process of taking possession of a Porsche.

According to a statement from Lynch's office, one of the eight defendants, Alberto Yusi Lajud-Peña, described in the indictment as the leader of the group, was murdered in the Dominican Republic on April 27. The others were arrested over a six-week period that began March 27 and ended Tuesday.

Related: New tools to stop cybercrime

Lynch, the prosecutor, said her office worked with law enforcement authorities in 16 countries -- including Japan, Canada, Germany and Romania -- as part of the investigation.

"The defendants and their co-conspirators participated in a massive 21st century bank heist that reached across the Internet and stretched around the globe," said Lynch. "In the place of guns and masks, this cybercrime organization used laptops and the Internet." Story Continues
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    As if there were not hundreds of other ways to make zip guns (improvised devices/methods to fire a bullet).
    IMHO, the guys with a zillion dollar 3D printer are not the ones we need to worry about.

U.S. State Department latest to crack down on 3D-printed guns

The State Department demands that Defense Distributed, which has created a series of 3D files used to print firearms, take down the files because they could violate export restrictions.
    by Daniel Terdiman

The latest governmental attack on 3D printed guns came from the U.S. State Department on Thursday.

In a letter sent to Defense Distributed, a nonprofit advocating for the creation of 3D printed firearms, the State Department demanded the removal from a public Web site of a set of 3D files used to print gun components. The State Department said that the online dissemination of the files could violate restrictions on exporting guns covered by International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)

Defense Distributed founder Cody Wilson said he obeyed the federal directive. It followed the announcement yesterday by California state Sen. Leland Yee, a Democrat, of legislation that would ban 3D printed guns, and a bill from Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY) that restricted firearms that could be used to evade airport security. But some, including gun-control advocates, feel that these concerns are overblown. Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    So a company raises $16M+ in startup funding to form a company that processes bitcoin. 2 weeks later ICE (a subsidiary of Home Land Security) steps in and squashes the operation due to an ongoing investigation? I would not be a very happy investor. Either the company failed due diligence, or ICE is using some secret techniques that interfere with legal commerce. Not good either way.

Homeland Security cuts off Dwolla bitcoin transfers

Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirms an "ongoing investigation" that led to Dwolla cutting off bitcoin transfers to Mt. Gox.
    by Declan McCullagh

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security confirmed it has initiated legal action that prompted the Dwolla payment service to stop processing bitcoin transactions.

Nicole Navas, a spokesperson for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, confirmed the legal action to CNET this afternoon.

Dwolla, a Des Moines, Iowa-based startup, which raised $16.5 million in funding two weeks ago, notified users about the move earlier Tuesday. It blamed the decision on "recent court orders" limiting its ability to send money through Mt. Gox, the largest bitcoin exchange.

"In order not to compromise this ongoing investigation being conducted by ICE Homeland Security Investigations Baltimore, we cannot comment beyond the information in the warrant, which was filed in the District of Maryland earlier today," Navas told CNET.

Mt. Gox did not respond to questions from CNET. It did, however, post a statement to its Google+ account saying:

MtGox has read on the Internet that the United States Department of Homeland Security had a court order and/or warrant issued from the United States District Court in Maryland which it served upon the Dwolla mobile payment service with respect to accounts used for trading with MtGox. We take this information seriously. However, as of this time we have not been provided with a copy of the court order and/or warrant, and do not know its scope and/or the reasons for its issuance. MtGox is investigating and will provide further reports when additional information becomes known.
    Chris Coyne, co-founder of OkCupid, posted a screen snapshot of email he said he received from Dwolla this afternoon. It says: "Dwolla will be unable to complete your recent bank transfer [to Mt. Gox] and any future transactions."

Dwolla is not elaborating. Jordan Lampe, a company spokesman, told CNET that "Dwolla advanced the news of the seizure to Mt. Gox in under an hour of its execution. At their request, Dwolla followed up the initial communication to Mt. Gox with a copy of the warrant." Story Continueshttp://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...oin-transfers/
    Attachment 1008

Domino's Pizza DVD Campaign

"A special thermal ink on the DVD reacts to the heat of the DVD player, not only releasing pizza odor but also causing a picture of a pizza to appear on top of the disc."
    This isn't poetry, this is the language of reality.

Smellovision?

Blog Entries
    The reason I keep pepper spray on my key chain. One tough kid, regretful it had such a sad end.

Teen dies trying to hold onto iPad during theft, police say

A 15-year-old in Las Vegas dies after the passenger in a car allegedly tries to steal his iPad as he walks down the street. Police say the teen wouldn't let go of his iPad and was run over.

by Chris Matyszczyk

It's a natural instinct to resist if someone tries to steal something out of your hand.

In Las Vegas on Thursday afternoon, that instinct might have cost a 15-year-old boy his life.

As the Las Vegas Sun reports, Marcos Vincente Arenas was walking down the street, holding an iPad.

Police say an SUV pulled up alongside him. A man allegedly got out of the passenger seat and tried to wrest the iPad from Arenas.

The teen wouldn't let go of the device, so, investigators say, he was dragged along by the alleged thief toward the vehicle.

He was still near the passenger door when the car took off. Arenas was run over and died in hospital of his injuries.

Police have issued descriptions of both the driver and the passenger of the SUV, said to be a white Ford Explorer or Expedition.

This is the latest and most gruesome example of the phenomenon known as "Apple-picking."

Though not exclusively confined to Apple devices, there is a nationwide increase in the public theft of gadgets.

Cities such as New York and San Francisco have been particularly vulnerable to such thefts, with some criticizing cell phone manufacturers for not doing enough to prevent them. Indeed, some believe that gadget companies see a stolen phone or tablet as a sales opportunity.

In New York, 14 percent of all crimes last year were iPhone and iPad thefts. In San Francisco, nearly half of all robberies in 2012 involved a cell phone.
    Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

It's a natural instinct to resist if someone tries to steal something out of your hand.
    That's absolutely true. I should know because I've been mugged 3 times in my life and in all of those incidents, my instinctual reaction was to hold on tight to my briefcase or purse when the mugger was trying to grab it out of my hand. There would momentarily be a tug-o-war going on between me and the mugger until I would then instantaneously come to my senses and let go of the object and let him have it. But then without thinking, in all 3 of those cases, after the mugger would grab my belonging and then, like a bat out of hell, take off with it, I immediately would chase after the mugger until I would come back to my senses the second time round and stop abruptly in my tracks and let the guy just run off with it in fear that he will turn around and run back after me especially after he would look back and see that I was running after him!

I'm no different than anybody else and too bad for that young teenager because he was only acting instinctually but it ended up costing him his life! How tragic! It does not make any difference if it was an expensive ipad or a cheap candy bar, that kid would have had the same initial instinctual reaction in the same kind of event.

PS -- but too bad that kid didn't follow his second instinct to just let go of his ipad....
    Last edited by A99; 05-20-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by A99 View Post
    That's absolutely true. I should know because I've been mugged 3 times in my life and in all of those incidents, my instinctual reaction was to hold on tight to my briefcase or purse when the mugger was trying to grab it out of my hand. There would momentarily be a tug-o-war going on between me and the mugger until I would then instantaneously come to my senses and let go of the object and let him have it. But then without thinking, in all 3 of those cases, after the mugger would grab my belonging and then, like a bat out of hell, take off with it, I immediately would chase after the mugger until I would come back to my senses the second time round and stop abruptly in my tracks and let the guy just run off with it in fear that he will turn around and run back after me especially after he would look back and see that I was running after him!

I'm no different than anybody else and too bad for that young teenager because he was only acting instinctually but it ended up costing him his life! How tragic! It does not make any difference if it was an expensive ipad or a cheap candy bar, that kid would have had the same initial instinctual reaction in the same kind of event.

PS -- but too bad that kid didn't follow his second instinct to just let go of his ipad....
    Sad, and over an i-Pad... Moral decay in our society is getting worse.