Page 75 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Edge Technology in the news

Blog Entries
    What a novel idea. BUY a computer without tons of preloaded advertisements.

Security experts call for halt to PC 'crapware' after Lenovo debacle
    Security professionals want Lenovo -- and other PC makers -- to stop the practice of loading third-party software on new PCs after one such app was found to be vulnerable to abuse by cyber criminals.
    by Gregg Keizer

Well, the crapware certainly hit the fan.

That was the take by security professionals Thursday, who called on Lenovo -- and other PC makers -- to stop the practice of loading third-party software on new PCs.

"Bloatware needs to stop," said Ken Westin, security analyst from security firm Tripwire, in an interview. "Companies like Apple, which sell their products on their own merits, they don't sell out their customers with this adware crap."

The practice of pre-installing software on new machines is so widespread, and has been going on so long, that it has well-worn labels, like Westin's "bloatware" or the cruder but more descriptive "crapware." Device OEMs (original equipment manufactures) load such software for financial reasons, cutting prices on the hardware so drastically -- usually in an effort to keep pace with rivals -- that the money earned from software makers is sometimes the difference between profit and loss.

OEMs are paid to load the software onto their PCs -- developers fork over money to get their programs in front of users -- and earn revenue when consumers pony up to extend the trial periods of those pre-loaded applications that come with expiration dates.

But with the latest Lenovo fiasco, crapware-as-a-security-threat has triggered a blowback much greater than the contempt and ridicule formerly assigned it by consumers. And that's going to hurt the China-based PC maker.

"We need to be able to trust our brands," said Westin. "But that's very difficult here. What else have they deployed on their PCs? When they pull this kind of stuff, I know I don't want to buy a Lenovo."

Westin and others were reacting to the stance Lenovo initially took Thursday when it denied that Superfish Visual Discovery, a pre-loaded adware program billed as an image search tool that would "help customers potentially discover interesting products while shopping," was a security threat.

"We have thoroughly investigated this technology and do not find any evidence to substantiate security concerns," Lenovo said in a Thursday statement that was subsequently altered to drop that line.

By the end of the day, Lenovo had backtracked, with its CTO, Peter Hortensius, admitting to IDG News Service -- like Computerworld>, a part of IDG -- that the company had "messed up badly."
    Story Continues
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Speaking of security breaches.
    I'm a customer of Chase bank.
    They were hacked recently, and details like my name address and email were leaked.

This past week, I have had a number of phishing emails that look VERY legit, supposed to be from eBay and Craigslist.
    "Your account is suspended, need to update credit card info, click HERE".
    VERY convincing format, addressed me by name with official logos.
    Don't be fooled friends.
    "Click HERE" is the road to Perdition.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Speaking of security breaches.
    I'm a customer of Chase bank.
    They were hacked recently, and details like my name address and email were leaked.

This past week, I have had a number of phishing emails that look VERY legit, supposed to be from eBay and Craigslist.
    "Your account is suspended, need to update credit card info, click HERE".
    VERY convincing format, addressed me by name with official logos.
    Don't be fooled friends.
    "Click HERE" is the road to Perdition.
    One of the reasons I started using a pre-paid card for internet when paying online. I use my bank debt card sparingly at physical stores.

Blog Entries
    The future of quantum computing?
    Scientists capture the first image of light behaving as both a particle and a wave
    Researchers have achieved the first ever pictorial evidence that light can simultaneously behave as a particle and as a wave.

by Michelle Starr

The concept of photons -- that is, particles of light -- has been around since 1905, explained by Albert Einstein as the "photoelectric" effect. This effect occurs when light hits a metal surface, causing that metal surface to emit photoelectrons. However, the behaviour of these electrons could not be accounted for if the light was a wave -- it only made sense if the light was made up of particles.

The achievement has been made by researchers at the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, led by Fabrizio Carbone -- employing a novel technique that uses electrons to image light.

"This experiment demonstrates that, for the first time ever, we can film quantum mechanics -- and its paradoxical nature -- directly," Carbone said.

To take the photo, the team used special apparatus, firing a pulse of laser light at a tiny metallic nanowire, which contained charged particles. The laser energised those particles, inducing them to vibrate. Light waves were then sent along the wire in two opposite directions, meeting in the middle and creating a third wave -- a standing wave.

But the electrons also showed the standing wave contained particles.
    Story Continues

Original detailed scientific paper
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Let's hope the patch comes quick for this Windows security vulnerability!

FREAKING WINDOWS

Recently discovered FREAK vulnerability that apparently went undetected for more than a decade is reportedly affecting all supported versions of Microsoft Windows, making the flaw more creepy than what we thought.

FREAK vulnerability is a disastrous SSL/TLS flaw disclosed Monday that allows an attacker to force SSL clients, including OpenSSL, to downgrade to weaken ciphers that can be easily broken and then supposedly conduct Man-in-the-Middle attacks on encrypted HTTPS-protected traffic passing between vulnerable end-users and Millions of websites.

Read our previous post to know more about FREAK vulnerability.

FREAK IN MICROSOFT RESIDES IN SECURE CHANNEL
    Microsoft issued an advisory published Thursday warning Windows users that Secure Channel (Schannel) stack — the Windows implementation of SSL/TLS — is vulnerable to the FREAK encryption-downgrade attack, though it said it has not received any reports of public attacks.

When the security glitch first discovered on Monday, it was believed that the Windows system was immune to FREAK attacks. But now if you're the one using Windows, attackers on your network could force the software using Schannel component such as Internet Explorer to use weak encryption over the web.

"Microsoft is aware of a security feature bypass vulnerability in Secure Channel (Schannel) that affects all supported releases of Microsoft Windows," the company said in a security advisory. "The vulnerability facilitates exploitation of the publicly disclosed FREAK technique, which is an industry-wide issue that is not specific to Windows operating systems."
    Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Better, faster, and here I was just getting used to USB3. And what ever happened to firewire?
    Three things you should know about USB Type-C

A new standard of USB is coming to market this year, and it's hard to not be impressed with the progress made since the version that was released in 2008. Here are the things you'll want to know about USB Type-C.

by Nicole Cozma

Whether you're excited about today's news from the Apple event, or you are looking toward the future of USB technology, there's a handful of exciting new features packed in this tiny cable. The MacBook is the first notebook to use the connection, but it's likely we'll see many other devices following suit this year. In the meantime, here are a few things you should know about USB Type-C (also known as USB 3.1) connections:

It's easier to plug in

No more fiddling with the cord to make sure it's plugged in the correct way every time, because both ends are the same and there is no "upside-down." Hopefully this means fewer scratches all over your device's charging port area from trying to plug it in with the lights off.

Data transfer and power capability have greatly improved

USB Type-C offers a transfer rate of 10Gbps, which is double the transfer speed of USB 3.0 (5 Gbps). Additionally, the cable offers 20 volts and 5 amps of power, compared with the 5 volts and 1.8 amps of its predecessor. This means less waiting around for devices to transfer data or for their batteries to charge.

USB dongles are going to be your new friends (for now)

The Type-C standard hasn't reached widespread adoption (yet). In the meantime, you'll need to collect some dongles to connect your favorite things together (like an HDMI screen, or a device with an older USB version).
    Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    So how does Microsoft punish all those who ripped off their software?
    I know, let's give them free upgrades.
    Makes me feel foolish for paying out my hard earned money to buy what other have stolen.

Windows 10 targets current pirates with free update

Microsoft wants to bring pirated copies of current Windows software back into the fold. Plus, Windows 10's hardware requirements have been laid out.

by Rich Trenholm

Microsoft has laid out the minimum requirements for computers and mobile devices to run Windows 10 -- and has also revealed that pirated copies of Windows will be upgraded too.

Microsoft's operating systems unit Executive Vice-President Terry Myerson took to the stage to talk up the new software at the Windows Hardware Engineering Community (WinHEC) summit in Shenzhen, China. Having already confirmed that current users of Windows 7 and 8 would get a free upgrade to Windows 10, Myerson revealed that the free upgrade will be available to illegal copies of the software too.

The move is an attempt to bring pirate users back into the official Microsoft sphere, and is likely to have the greatest impact in China, where it's reported that the majority of software is not properly licensed. To tackle China, Microsoft has partnered with Chinese companies Tencent and Qihu 360.
    Story continues
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    So how does Microsoft punish all those who ripped off their software?
    I know, let's give them free upgrades.
    Makes me feel foolish for paying out my hard earned money to buy what other have stolen.

Windows 10 targets current pirates with free update

Microsoft wants to bring pirated copies of current Windows software back into the fold. Plus, Windows 10's hardware requirements have been laid out.

by Rich Trenholm

Microsoft has laid out the minimum requirements for computers and mobile devices to run Windows 10 -- and has also revealed that pirated copies of Windows will be upgraded too.

Microsoft's operating systems unit Executive Vice-President Terry Myerson took to the stage to talk up the new software at the Windows Hardware Engineering Community (WinHEC) summit in Shenzhen, China. Having already confirmed that current users of Windows 7 and 8 would get a free upgrade to Windows 10, Myerson revealed that the free upgrade will be available to illegal copies of the software too.

The move is an attempt to bring pirate users back into the official Microsoft sphere, and is likely to have the greatest impact in China, where it's reported that the majority of software is not properly licensed. To tackle China, Microsoft has partnered with Chinese companies Tencent and Qihu 360.
    Story continues
    Back-in-the-day I disliked losing Windows95. For the most-part, seems updates for operating systems expire before the computer does.
    Last edited by CasperParks; 03-20-2015 at 04:39 PM.

I'm not sure whether this had been reported before:

VASIMR Rocket Could Send Humans To Mars In Just 39 Days

A new type of rocket that could send humans to Mars in less than six weeks instead of six months or longer may be one step closer to reality.

NASA has selected Texas-based Ad Astra Rocket Company for a round of funding to help develop the Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket, or VASIMR. The new rocket uses plasma and magnets, not to lift spacecraft into orbit but to propel them further and faster once they've escaped the planet's atmosphere.

“It is a rocket like no other rocket that you might have seen in the past. It is a plasma rocket," Dr. Franklin Chang-DÃ*az, a former shuttle astronaut and CEO of Ad Astra said in a video describing the rocket. "The VASIMR engine is not used for launching things into space or landing them back but rather it is used for things already there. We call this ‘in-space propulsion.'"
    More at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7009118.html

There also is a short video:

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    I'm not sure whether this had been reported before:

VASIMR Rocket Could Send Humans To Mars In Just 39 Days

More at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7009118.html

There also is a short video:

That does look promising.