Thread: A Reason To Doubt The Alien/Abduction/Hybrid Theory?

Blog Entries

A Reason To Doubt The Alien/Abduction/Hybrid Theory?

This is an article by Carol Rainey. She was married to Budd Hopkins and talks about why his and Jacobs' research is not very credible. I tend to change my mind a lot about these things to avoid paranoia. This is likely old news for most here though... Some food for thought.

The Priests of High Strangeness
    Rainey, Carol: Paratopia, 15 january 2010

Co-creation of the "alien abduction phenomenon"

Sometimes an event comes hurdling along and scatters wellintentioned plans left and right. I had intended to wait several more years before writing about my hard-won insights into the alien abduction phenomenon. During my ten-year marriage to UFO researcher Budd Hopkins, I’d actively participated in some of Budd’s UFO cases; edited his third book, Witnessed; co-authored the next book, Sight Unseen, with him; shot extensive documentary footage of Budd’s research; and produced short films that he used on the conference circuit. But we haven’t been married for the past several years, we’ve each gotten on with our own lives, and, since 2004, I’ve refused to participate in abduction research. There seemed to be a lot to lose and nothing to gain by speaking up, during my former husband’s lifetime, about my perceptions of some researchers’ ethical violations, misuse of human subjects, and their steady manipulation of the abduction narrative into a rigid doctrine. No need to rush to print.

But then along came Emma Woods’ story, reaching me last spring while I was living and working in the 14th century Moroccan walled-city of Fez. It was an explosive case of subject abuse that shook up many people and would later become the November 2010 cover story for UFO Magazine. During a long rainy day, waiting for the donkey to deliver my cooking gas, I took the time to carefully review the material on both sides—on the subject (Emma Woods’) website and also on the website of researcher David Jacobs. The audio taped excerpts of the sessions provided a trail through the labyrinthine ways in which researchers are able to “lead” the subject in a certain direction by pre-hypnosis conversation about other cases they’re interested in; how the narrative is manipulated to fit the high strangeness requirements of the researcher’s upcoming book; the tapes also show egregious boundary crossing and ethical improprieties.

Before a subject’s hypnotic regression with Budd Hopkins, the author secures the microphone. [1]
    It electrified me out of my silence and into action. Because Emma’s case brought painfully to mind several other cases that had passed through my own home in the not too distant past—and for any adverse effect on these individuals’ lives that I might have contributed to as the documentary filmmaker or writer on the scene, I am genuinely sorry. At this point, perhaps I can best make amends by responding to the question asked in a letter to the editor of UFO Magazine by veteran UFO researcher Ray Fowler: “I wonder how many other Emmas there are out there?”

Let me begin to name them, because they are most definitely there.

And in their naming, it will become clear— despite Hopkins’ and Jacobs’ adamant and repeated statements to the contrary, like politicians working off of the same faxed talking point of the day—that the marshy ground of alien abductions is afloat in hoaxes and partial hoaxes. It will also become clear that what Hopkins and Jacobs claim as “the powerful evidence” for alien abductions and hybrids among us is based primarily on the powerful, hypnotic repetition of their own proclamations—and the public’s gullibility in believing whatever unfounded theories these star paranormal investigators punt down the field. Further, it will become clear that these abduction investigators know that the people featured in their published books or conference lectures are not the norm for abduction experiences. The sensational cases published in Hopkins’ Intruders and Witnessed, in Jacobs’ Secret Life and The Threat are positioned as the anecdotal examples that describe the entire phenomenon.

The problem for the rest of us who are trying to understand this thing is that these particular cases are almost always “high strangeness,” weirder than weird, spectacular exceptions to the rule. They are not representative of what Hopkins and Jacobs “discover” in their day-to-day, run-of-the-mill abduction reports.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://rr0.org/data/2/0/1/1/01/15/Ra...ess/index.html

One's immediate reaction might be that we are now going to hear a truth that has been suppressed. I think not. While there may be errors in the way the information has been handled, it does not mean that the material is itself not real. And as actual experiences and experienciers are "high strangeness cases", that is only to be expected because they are truly exceptional. There are cases which have been handled correctly, so one cannot take this piece as the whole story. One has also to be aware there may be some animus on the part of Carol Rainey, or some psychological need for her to down the material, such as her being unable to deal with the reality that it would represent. Without specific examples from the whole of the material, her reservations are as specious as her claims of mishandling, in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    One's immediate reaction might be that we are now going to hear a truth that has been suppressed. I think not. While there may be errors in the way the information has been handled, it does not mean that the material is itself not real. And as actual experiences and experienciers are "high strangeness cases", that is only to be expected because they are truly exceptional. There are cases which have been handled correctly, so one cannot take this piece as the whole story. One has also to be aware there may be some animus on the part of Carol Rainey, or some psychological need for her to down the material, such as her being unable to deal with the reality that it would represent. Without specific examples from the whole of the material, her reservations are as specious as her claims of mishandling, in my opinion.
    Yeah, there are a lot of authors who have investigated this and a lot of testimony. I'll admit, I do have the temptation to dismiss the abduction phenomenon because it's scary and depressing in a lot of ways, but there is too much testimony and leading evidence to ignore it. If hundreds, or thousands of people are talking about this happening to them, then I highly doubt that they are all hallucinating the same thing. I'm choosing to remain open minded and curious.

some psychological need for her to down the material, such as her being unable to deal with the reality that it would represent.
    It's funny, I remember when I was 17/18 I had been steadily researching fringe stuff and I went through a nervous breakdown phase that lasted a couple weeks and lingered for a longer time. I had binders and binders full of detailed jot notes and writings. Probably enough to write a novel with and I remember burning it all in the fireplace. It was an anxiety attack that was based on me feeling crazy and not normal. The anxiety lasted steadily, day and night I couldn't seem to calm myself down even though I worked out heavily, socialized, did relaxing things. I started watching television, bought some mainstream magazines and really did try to be normal. These subjects can be very dangerous to your mental health if you have the wrong approach to it. I thought I'd never get out of that state of fear. I sometimes think that it could have been a psychic attack to keep me from knowing too much, but I will reserve my right to 'blame the alien' and focus on what is in my control and base my conclusions on what I really know and have experienced. Doesn't mean I won't entertain myself with 'exotic' material, because it's more interesting than TV shows.

I really do believe in this theory, but a belief isn't necessarily true, and I don't feel okay pushing my beliefs on others. I think the reason a lot of religious people do, is because they want everyone to strengthen their illusions by sheer numbers. And that means you don't trust yourself and are a follower of the herd lacking inner strength.
    Last edited by lycaeus; 10-23-2012 at 11:55 PM.

A bitter ex-wife is typically not your best source of information...
    This is a clear case of an ex-wife on a mission to discredit.
    The fact that virtually everybody who is anybody in alien abduction research rallied to Hopkins' support should be a clear indication of that.
    (Read, e.g., http://alienjigsaw.com/Whats_New/Ope...a_Cortile.html and http://www.alienjigsaw.com/Articles/...onResearch.htm ).

If you think the whole field of alien abduction research should be put in doubt based on the non-confirmed aspersions by the ex-wife of one researcher - as the title of your thread here seems to suggest - you're quickly undermining your own credibility.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    My first thought about it was that the divorce thing is the main motive here. I'm grateful to the serious investigators who work very hard in this field, but I'm not extremely serious about it unfortunately, I haven't researched as much as some people to get to the point of not experiencing doubt and I do sometimes forget some things I've researched. *shrug* I really do believe the alien agenda is a reality though. I was wondering what some people might say about this article. I probably should have jus kept it to myself because this is supposed to be a serious section of the forum. Just trying to look at both sides and see what others say.
    I wish I could edit the title and put a big question mark at the end!
    Last edited by lycaeus; 10-24-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lycaeus View Post
    My first thought about it was that the divorce thing is the main motive here. I'm grateful to the serious investigators who work very hard in this field, but I'm not extremely serious about it unfortunately, I haven't researched as much as some people to get to the point of not experiencing doubt and I do sometimes forget some things I've researched. *shrug* I really do believe the alien agenda is a reality though. I was wondering what some people might say about this article. I probably should have jus kept it to myself because this is supposed to be a serious section of the forum. Just trying to look at both sides and see what others say.
    I wish I could edit the title and put a big question mark at the end!
    Your wish has been granted
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Blog Entries
    Haha nice!