Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Emerging Surveillance State?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    The Washington Post has opinion articles: The Washington Post has one that is titled: We should get rid of local policing. Ferguson shows why the system just doesn’t work. The old, fragmented approach to law enforcement doesn’t work. Click here for entire article.

In my opinion the article is suggesting merging local, county and state police into one law enforcement agency... It claims that, future tragedies such as police misconduct, mishandling of protests and so on can be prevented.

In the event of nationwide civil unrest, there is a risk that local law enforcement could weigh right and wrong of an issue. An example is marijuana decriminalization at state, county and local levels. A merging of law enforcement place officers under one command... Merging of law enforcement agencies at state, county and local levels is risky. Instead of State Police - Police State.
    Slippery slope to "Marshal Law".
    Sounds more like disbanding police and instituting military rule.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Camera platform the size of your thumb?
    Really is like a fly on the wall.
    Wonder how long before "military surplus" makes it's way into my local police department's inventory.

Army researchers develop pocket-sized aerial surveillance device

Photo Credit: Courtesy photo by United Kingdom Ministry of Defense A British Soldier holds a Prox Dynamics' PD-100 Black Hornet, a palm-sized miniature helicopter weighing only 16 grams. Researchers with the U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center are testing the Black Hornet to provide squad-sized small units with organic intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance capability.
    By Jeffrey Sisto

Researchers at the U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center are developing technologies for a pocket-sized aerial surveillance device for Soldiers and small units operating in challenging ground environments.

The Cargo Pocket Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance program, or CP-ISR, seeks to develop a mobile Soldier sensor to increase the situational awareness of dismounted Soldiers by providing real-time video surveillance of threat areas within an immediate operational environment.

While larger systems have been used to provide over-the-hill ISR capabilities on the battlefield for almost a decade, none deliver it directly to the squad level, where Soldiers need the ability to see around the corner or into the next room during combat missions.

When Soldiers and small units need to assess the threat in a village, or in thick canopy terrain where traditional ISR assets cannot penetrate, the CP-ISR can be deployed to provide that capability. Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

What is with the “selfie craze”?

News outlets, corporations, social networking sites are pushing that “selfie thing" and it you are not doing it you are not hip...

Has anyone noticed mentions of it on the news at least once a week, and those ads on TV promoting a product in conjunction with taking a selfie?

Is there an organized effort “coaching people” into posting their faces on the internet?

I have three words: Facial Recognition Software
    Last edited by CasperParks; 12-10-2014 at 06:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Good point Casper. I personally abhor the horrendous affliction of viral narcissism infecting the young and old everywhere. lol perhaps my quirk may be valuable in a surveillance state as I'm told I can look anywhere from 16 to 45 at times hehe... I don't worry about privacy invasion toooo much because I am aware black ops technologies do much much more than is publicly known and disclosed. I value freewill that should be respected. The important thing is we express our contentions and demand freedom for all.
    "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock."

Blog Entries
    Thorny question. Should a warrant issued in the USA be valid on info stored beyond boarders?
    Microsoft fights government search warrant
    By David Goldman and James O'Toole

Microsoft is preparing to fight a U.S. government search warrant that seeks its customer emails stored abroad.

Microsoft's chief counsel Brad Smith and other tech attorneys will explain why the company should not have to comply with a warrant for data hosted at a facility in Dublin, Ireland, in a panel moderated by ABC's Charlie Gibson in New York next Monday.

Microsoft (MSFT, Tech30) has already argued in a June court filing that prosecutors had no right to execute the warrant because it is outside the country's jurisdiction.

The identity of the customers that the government is after isn't clear, though the case relates to alleged drug trafficking and money laundering.

Allowing the warrant to move forward, Microsoft argued, "would violate international law and treaties, and reduce the privacy protection of everyone on the planet."

Verizon (VZ, Tech30) has also weighed in, submitting a brief in support of Microsoft's argument. The case raises questions about what role jurisdiction and physical borders play when it comes to digital information. The result of the lawsuit could have far-reaching implications for how tech companies deal with law enforcement.

Tech companies store customer information at data centers all around the world. Microsoft says its email users' information "resides on a specific server in the Dublin datacenter" and "does not exist in any form inside the United States."

Prosecutors contend that the distinction isn't meaningful because electronic data is "readily available" for access by Microsoft employees in the United States. Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

Washington DC quietly passes continuation of: Intelligence Authorization Act H.R. 4681

Allows government and private contracted entities (corporations) to continue monitoring citizens' phones, emails, social networking and so-on.

Running across the internet are claims that Sec 309 in the bill has an add-on that allows local law enforcement access to information gathered - no warrant needed.

Bill HR 4681 was last updated 05/30/2014 at congress.gov

Sec 309 does not show what is going around the internet. Again, update was in May 30th, 2014 and unable to confirm changes to Sec 309 of the bill H.R. 4681 for December 10th, 2014.

It was scheduled for a "voice only vote", ensuring no record of who voted yea or nay. However, a rep from Michigan changed that.

Click here to learn who voted yea or nay at govtrack.us

Rumors ran wild that biochip implants were required by end of March 2013 in the *ACA bill. Turned out to be one of those taken out of context things. It was RFID for stuff like pacemakers, so it could be scanned for manufacture and malfunctions without surgery. In no place did the ACA call for required biochip implants. (*Affordable Healthcare Act.)

I suspect biochip implants are coming. At first voluntary, then boycotting anyone without it, then it will become law. Only reason I raised that biochip ACA issue, it was used as fear mongering. After a number of false flag warnings, people become jaded. "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"

It is bad enough federal government and subcontracted corporations are gathering personal private data, adding local law enforcement is tossing acid on an open wound.

At this time of this posting 12/15/2014:

I cannot confirm changes to H.R. 4681 Sec 309 that allow warrantless access for local law enforcement. I did search the internet for a document that proved changes as claimed by many people. I found nothing. That does not mean changes aren't in the final draft, simply I was not able to locate documents to prove it.

Over the past few months, it has become public knowledge that local law enforcement is doing a lot of warrentless spying on people. Stingray comes to mind, and intercepting cell phones and wireless devices through phoney cell towers. Changes to Sec 309 could be an attempt at legal protection from lawsuits.

I hope changes to Sec 309 is another false flag...
    Last edited by CasperParks; 12-15-2014 at 06:15 AM.

Additional information on Intelligence Authorization Act H.R. 4681

Letter from Justin Amash posted at his facebook account: Member of Congress from Michigan.

Dear Colleague:

The intelligence reauthorization bill, which the House will vote on today, contains a troubling new provision that for the first time statutorily authorizes spying on U.S. citizens without legal process.

Last night, the Senate passed an amended version of the intelligence reauthorization bill with a new Sec. 309—one the House never has considered. Sec. 309 authorizes “the acquisition, retention, and dissemination” of nonpublic communications, including those to and from U.S. persons. The section contemplates that those private communications of Americans, obtained without a court order, may be transferred to domestic law enforcement for criminal investigations.

To be clear, Sec. 309 provides the first statutory authority for the acquisition, retention, and dissemination of U.S. persons’ private communications obtained without legal process such as a court order or a subpoena. The administration currently may conduct such surveillance under a claim of executive authority, such as E.O. 12333. However, Congress never has approved of using executive authority in that way to capture and use Americans’ private telephone records, electronic communications, or cloud data.

Supporters of Sec. 309 claim that the provision actually reins in the executive branch’s power to retain Americans’ private communications. It is true that Sec. 309 includes exceedingly weak limits on the executive’s retention of Americans’ communications. With many exceptions, the provision requires the executive to dispose of Americans’ communications within five years of acquiring them—although, as HPSCI admits, the executive branch already follows procedures along these lines.

In exchange for the data retention requirements that the executive already follows, Sec. 309 provides a novel statutory basis for the executive branch’s capture and use of Americans’ private communications. The Senate inserted the provision into the intelligence reauthorization bill late last night. That is no way for Congress to address the sensitive, private information of our constituents—especially when we are asked to expand our government’s surveillance powers.

I urge you to join me in voting “no” on H.R. 4681, the intelligence reauthorization bill, when it comes before the House today.

Justin Amash
    Member of Congress
    Here is a paste from the letter:

Last night, the Senate passed an amended version of the intelligence reauthorization bill with a new Sec. 309—one the House never has considered. Sec. 309 authorizes “the acquisition, retention, and dissemination” of nonpublic communications, including those to and from U.S. persons. The section contemplates that those private communications of Americans, obtained without a court order, may be transferred to domestic law enforcement for criminal investigations.
    Last edited by CasperParks; 12-15-2014 at 06:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    Additional information on Intelligence Authorization Act H.R. 4681

Letter from Justin Amash posted at his facebook account: Member of Congress from Michigan.

Here is a paste from the letter:

As if the primary objection to "spying on Americans" was that it is illegal.
    So let's change the law and make it legal, then nobody can complain. Right?

Wrong answer.
    Next thing you know, they will be legalizing torture. Oh. Wait!
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    As if the primary objection to "spying on Americans" was that it is illegal.
    So let's change the law and make it legal, then nobody can complain. Right?

Wrong answer.
    Next thing you know, they will be legalizing torture. Oh. Wait!
    http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...-pearl-harbor/

This just makes me sick. We have just allowed Congress to cut our throats because they lack the discipline to pass real legislation and had to resort to this omnibus crap where it became impossible to say NO to such a clearly unconstitutional move. An now we have to rely on the President, now and in the future, not to actually use this new law, right!

Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...-pearl-harbor/

This just makes me sick. We have just allowed Congress to cut our throats because they lack the discipline to pass real legislation and had to resort to this omnibus crap where it became impossible to say NO to such a clearly unconstitutional move. An now we have to rely on the President, now and in the future, not to actually use this new law, right!
    Decent article, thanks for sharing it.