Page 220 of 271 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222230270 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 2702

Thread: What we think we know so far

@Fore, The Advisor's reappearance cannot be that many years out now, 4 or less, right? I am under the impression this will be post-fall, you thinking of looping back again or will you let things pan out this time? (I have a suspicion that you looped back into a different scenario this time around, thus you can run into "yourself" on a different run in the same timestream.)

Quote Originally Posted by pontificator View Post
    @Fore, The Advisor's reappearance cannot be that many years out now, 4 or less, right? I am under the impression this will be post-fall, you thinking of looping back again or will you let things pan out this time? (I have a suspicion that you looped back into a different scenario this time around, thus you can run into "yourself" on a different run in the same timestream.)
    Fore hasn't been here for over a year now.

Has anybody heard from him recently?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Fore hasn't been here for over a year now.

Has anybody heard from him recently?
    That is a good question... Hope that Fore is okay...

Have had a pretty nasty headache and nausea effect since the Friday Christchurch attacks. Since they've started burying them, the effect has mostly dissipated. I've noticed a pretty similar pattern with people who die violent deaths around here, and it is proximity based; I suspect the death-rate on that day intensified the shockwave. Fortunately, nothing came visiting.

Please note, censorship over NZ way surrounding this event is very hardcore, so I won't say very much more beyond the above observation. It is not legally safe to discuss the actual event.

Blog Entries
    Have had a pretty nasty headache and nausea effect since the Friday Christchurch attacks. Since they've started burying them, the effect has mostly dissipated. I've noticed a pretty similar pattern with people who die violent deaths around here, and it is proximity based; I suspect the death-rate on that day intensified the shockwave. Fortunately, nothing came visiting.

Please note, censorship over NZ way surrounding this event is very hardcore, so I won't say very much more beyond the above observation. It is not legally safe to discuss the actual event.
    News of the massacre at Christchurch also gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
    Anyone who would carry out such a heinous act in a place of worship, gunning down unarmed men women and children, is a coward in my book.
    Glad he was captured, hopefully he will be punished to the full extent of the law.
    Condolences, I feel your pain.

As for the NZ news blackout. We see the PM on the news (USA News Media) making statements about the event, so I imagine some details are discussed publicly.
    Why do you think there is news suppression? Fear of copy-cats?
    The online social-media streaming by the perpetrator was certainly a sick perversion.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    News of the massacre at Christchurch also gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
    Anyone who would carry out such a heinous act in a place of worship, gunning down unarmed men women and children, is a coward in my book.
    Glad he was captured, hopefully he will be punished to the full extent of the law.
    Condolences, I feel your pain.

As for the NZ news blackout. We see the PM on the news (USA News Media) making statements about the event, so I imagine some details are discussed publicly.
    Why do you think there is news suppression? Fear of copy-cats?
    The online social-media streaming by the perpetrator was certainly a sick perversion.
    Although I do not like this particular person's thinking, here is a case in point: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12214017
    More background: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12214083

So, to summarise, it is difficult to talk about the subject as the mere act of communicating information is banned. Websites discussing important aspects of the matter have been actively banned (hell, it's an offence to like or retweet a thread with non-violent stills of the video.) I am in communication with people working in one of the major telecommunications centres, they are in active hunt and collect evidence mode; you can look up the list of banned websites if you wish.
    Our newspapers and TV channels are in trouble, and actively avoid talking about important aspects of the case.
    A particularly disturbing aspect, without giving specifics, is that the Government is implementing aspects of the manifesto; the manifesto that cannot be discussed, figuratively torn apart or intellectually analysed in public here. It is a known fact that you never implement a terrorist's demands, and yet here we are; in one example, which is in the public domain, the gun law changes were one of the aims of the attack (in some ways the changes make sense, but in others it is important to take into account that before this attack the laws were made dangerously lax by the current government.) I am aware of aspects of the manifesto, as some people overseas are sensible enough to discuss the contents without quoting, and therefore causing their website to be banned from access here. Hell, theoretically even reading an overseas news story can get someone into trouble here if it contains "objectional" content.

Just a bit of background to NZ, there are serious problems in this country, but discussion of those problems is actively suppressed. As a result, the problems concerned are more serious than they need to be (the suicide rate being one particularly bad issue, it's simply not talked about [as if that will cause it to go down.] Hell, I had a student who threw himself under a car and died, I had to spend quite a bit of the next day talking with his crying friend, who witnessed it, because he trusted me more than the counsellor.) So, with that in mind, they'll not allow people to actually learn what to keep an eye out for. At the moment NZer's are on a witch-hunt for neo-nazis, people who saw the video, people who know the contents of the manifesto and are talking about it; people are getting fired, the employment relations tribunal has stated this is unjustifiable dismissal, but that's a bit late when people find themselves let go without redundancy pay or the ability to call upon their job insurance as a result.

For clarification, there are lots of nasty people out there that are being held to account for spreading that video and the manifesto. In many cases, I really don't have a problem with that; they are examples of what should be stopped. However, it is having a chilling effect that is stopping the country from facing the problem head-on. Where there should be a reasonable discussion, so that this type of event can be stopped in the future, this cannot occur in the current climate; or a future one with the material being fully banned.

The effect of scaring the populace into not talking about extremely important events can only result in a negative outcome. I personally suspect that if the Holocaust were occurring today, the current laws would suppress the information to the point that no one would understand what it was really all about; beyond "a man caused his country to commit heinous acts. You will see neither photos nor film of the event, to protect the privacy of the victims, but we can name them and show what they were like when they were alive. He also wrote a book which we cannot name or discuss, and created an ideology that no one shall know or recognise."

Blog Entries
    For clarification, there are lots of nasty people out there that are being held to account for spreading that video and the manifesto. In many cases, I really don't have a problem with that; they are examples of what should be stopped. However, it is having a chilling effect that is stopping the country from facing the problem head-on. Where there should be a reasonable discussion, so that this type of event can be stopped in the future, this cannot occur in the current climate; or a future one with the material being fully banned.

The effect of scaring the populace into not talking about extremely important events can only result in a negative outcome. I personally suspect that if the Holocaust were occurring today, the current laws would suppress the information to the point that no one would understand what it was really all about; beyond "a man caused his country to commit heinous acts. You will see neither photos nor film of the event, to protect the privacy of the victims, but we can name them and show what they were like when they were alive. He also wrote a book which we cannot name or discuss, and created an ideology that no one shall know or recognise."
    Just another reminder to us U.S. citizens to think globally.
    Our right to "Freedom of the Press" would make such censorship difficult to implement.
    And the PM's statement that gun ownership is a privileged not a right (to justify gun ban), would face a tough time in US courts.
    After all; they are the First and Second amendments to the US Constitution. aka Bill of Rights.
    While it is different here, we certainly respect NZ to govern as it sees fit.
    From the outside looking in I can only express disappointment that these pronouncements (censorship/gun ban) seems to be dictated by the elite in a knee-jerk reaction, rather than implemented as the will of the people after healthy discussion & debate.
    In light of the tragedy, IMHO it would make more sense to complete the grieving process before making decisions about national policy/laws.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Like past events, seems the authoritarian response was already mapped out, awaiting the right pretext to ram it through. They're showing their hand with this one. Video sites, forums, and chat systems claiming to be bastions for free speech are being forced to censor or lose their existence. It's a sober case study of how other verboten data will be censored in the future on a more global scale, and what people are doing to get around it (torrents, TOR, VPN...).

Think of how this would play out post-Disclosure if there's still an internet by that point. Only a small minority would be willing and able to get around censorship, meaning the vast majority would be a captive audience for authoritarian propaganda, therefore they'd become extremely hostile against the minority. We're already seeing a small preview of that now, e.g. people spotting a red hat and going ballistic.

Well, a prison cell gives you full freedom to roam anywhere you like as long as you stay away from the walls. Europe, Australia, NZ, etc. offer freedom as a privilege not a right, and now we see how that works out. As screwed up as the USA is, it was built on a solid foundation with critical safeguards that may yet save the day.

@Fore, The Advisor's reappearance cannot be that many years out now, 4 or less, right?
    That has been on my mind regularly over the past year. I know the time is close, if not already begun. I have really been worrying about you @Fore. I hope it is officially annulled, I know that it can be. I hope you are living free.
    Last edited by Sansanoy; 03-22-2019 at 05:29 PM.