Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The mystery of the lights on Ceres

pia19617-16-640x350.jpg

Tour Weird Ceres: Bright Spots and a Pyramid-Shaped Mountain.

This video shows a series of animations of dwarf planet Ceres, generated from data from NASA's Dawn spacecraft.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/details.php?id=1392

Blog Entries
    The latest photo of the conical mountain. Taken on August 19 from 915 miles.

http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/pia19631/the-lonely-mountain/

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk
    www.disclosurebeginsathome.wordpress.com
    Disclosure begins at home so start a conversation about UFOs.
    "Debunkers are like school yard bullies." - Kevin Smith to Leslie Kean, August 31, 2010

Blog Entries

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/fi...e/pia19631.jpg

Last edited by newyorklily; 08-26-2015 at 12:46 AM.
    "Debunkers are like school yard bullies." - Kevin Smith to Leslie Kean, August 31, 2010

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newyorklily View Post
    The latest photo of the conical mountain. Taken on August 19 from 915 miles.

http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/pia19631/the-lonely-mountain/

I don't know about you guys but, it sure looks like it "might" be something artificial. Perhaps glass or some sort of crystaline base that is used to amplify sunlight to help keep what ever underneath warm? If you look closely it is a little bit transparent in some respects so what is it? Hmmmm I dont know but what ever the case may be its getting more interesting with each photo. Can't wait to see the 217 mile photo on its next go around and it's last picture taking opportunity.

Edward

To me the shape of it looks like a 'low-angle' impact crater.

But that still doesn't explain the reflections.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

To me it looks like an old volcanic cone. Sun coming from left of screen and illuminating the sides. Material wise, don't know....
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    To me it looks like an old volcanic cone. Sun coming from left of screen and illuminating the sides. Material wise, don't know....
    You are absolutely correct Dragonfire on the illumination. The structure is being illuminated from the left by the sun (the crater wall directly below is in shadow on the same side).

As to being a volcano, (for me) the jury is still out. The vertically striated sides are not associated with any known volcanism on Earth. There isn’t any visual evidence of a crater at the top of the cone… but it could be covered over with ejecta (from local meteoroid impacts). The structure seems strange, but that in part is due to the difference in the mechanisms which form structures on Earth verses other worlds. I am sure there are a bunch of Astrophysicist and Astrogeologist scratching their heads on this one.

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

Perhaps the eruption was of some liquid gas that froze immediately upon being exposed to the temperatures of space.
    Just kicking it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    You are absolutely correct Dragonfire on the illumination. The structure is being illuminated from the left by the sun (the crater wall directly below is in shadow on the same side).

As to being a volcano, (for me) the jury is still out. The vertically striated sides are not associated with any known volcanism on Earth. There isn’t any visual evidence of a crater at the top of the cone… but it could be covered over with ejecta (from local meteoroid impacts). The structure seems strange, but that in part is due to the difference in the mechanisms which form structures on Earth verses other worlds. I am sure there are a bunch of Astrophysicist and Astrogeologist scratching their heads on this one.

M
    It rather reminds me of some kind of crystalline growth like the Mexican cave crystals, megalithic in scale and grown from an eruption from below. We need to get closer views, otherwise it is really just speculation.

Blog Entries
    Here is an article, with a composite photo, just released by NASA.
    http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/jp...ok-at-occator/