Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would ET disclosure change our legal system?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khaan View Post
    I think it would be more along the lines of diplomatic immunity for aliens, but more from the perspective that there is no way we can get them to submit to human jurisdiction. I mean, what if they had been here before us? And as for past crimes are they even seen as crimes? Would the aliens understand why it's ok for a human to butcher a cow but not an alien?
    It is possible the idea of personal property is foreign to ET, so taking a cow might seem like picking fruit off a tree.
    I wonder if it would even be possible to teach ET such a concept.

But really it would involve reworking the legal and security structure in the entire world; or at least the oecd to begin with. Surely everyone would see the need for a united front and consistent laws across the globe with the threat of alien interference. The pessimist in me worries that countries would fight more and try and align with factions of aliens to get an edge, making a global strategy moot.
    A big job "reworking" that structure for an entire planet.
    OECD? Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, a World Wide economy organization?
    Not that familar with them, track record of legislating global laws? Seems like United Nations would be a good (better?) choice.

As for countries fighting for the power ET tech could provide, seems like we are already there.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    For the reimbursements the ET could probably just get away with giving (or selling) some of their technology/art/culture to the ranchers. To the ET the items given would likely be inconsequential (baubles and trinkets) but to us it would seem like magic, or the work of Davinci or Michelangelo.
    One would hope that ET has "The Arts" and could share such things.
    The Tech is more readily apparent. But would the goverment allow such Tech into the hands of common folk, like ranchers.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    And as far as blaming ET goes, what if ET did do it? Certainly have to allow an accussed defendant the right to make his case. Just not sure how one would go about proving ET involvement. They so sneaky.
    What kind of crimes could a defendant be able to plausibly pass off as the work of ET though? A poacher could possibly claim that it was 'alien animal mutilation' instead of them I suppose, but ET usually don't target wild animals as far as I know, and they don't usually take skins, tusk, or horns.
    My inner Mulder wants to believe, but my inner Scully remains skeptical.

A big job "reworking" that structure for an entire planet.
    OECD? Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, a World Wide economy organization?
    Not that familar with them, track record of legislating global laws? Seems like United Nations would be a good (better?) choice.

As for countries fighting for the power ET tech could provide, seems like we are already there.
    It most certainly is a big job but when national sovereignty, is in effect, useless because aliens can do whatever the hell they want, then you need to do something to keep people on the same page.

When I said the oecd, I meant the rich developed countires that would be in a position to tackle the problem initially; poor or developing countries may have more immediate concerns. I didn't mean for the actual oecd to do anything. As for the UN, they can't do anything; it will never lead the world, only get dragged along behind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    What kind of crimes could a defendant be able to plausibly pass off as the work of ET though? A poacher could possibly claim that it was 'alien animal mutilation' instead of them I suppose, but ET usually don't target wild animals as far as I know, and they don't usually take skins, tusk, or horns.
    What about a criminal who commits Kidnapping?
    Depending on the circumstances (victim alive or dead? Body discovered?). If a defendant is identified, he could claim it was not him but an ET Abduction. Remember, this is post disclosure.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khaan View Post
    It most certainly is a big job but when national sovereignty, is in effect, useless because aliens can do whatever the hell they want, then you need to do something to keep people on the same page.

When I said the oecd, I meant the rich developed countires that would be in a position to tackle the problem initially; poor or developing countries may have more immediate concerns. I didn't mean for the actual oecd to do anything. As for the UN, they can't do anything; it will never lead the world, only get dragged along behind.

Kind of like an ant colony passing a law that humans cannot trample their ant hill.
    Looks good on paper, but try to enforce. Note my earlier comment about attempting to put handcuffs on ET.

Would be good to have communications with ET, to understand thier motivations for the actions they take.
    Either we educate them & develope treaties (maybe already done?), or avoid situations that result in catastrophy.
    It is curious you mention "rich developed countries" vs "Poor or developing countries".
    Hard not to see some parallels. Rich countries can fly over poor countries, and the poor countries (third world nations) can't do much about it besides complain.
    Question is, are the Rich countries becoming the "new third world nations", left impudent by ET?
    Attachment 1008

Ha! How would we know if the accused ET didn't mind meld the witnesses, or the judge?

Maybe even go back in time and undo a crime?

I think if Alien/ETs were to agree with the laws of man, then it would likely be a con of some sort. I mean, after all these centuries who could trust them??

More then likely we will be abiding by their laws!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by epo333 View Post
    Ha! How would we know if the accused ET didn't mind meld the witnesses, or the judge?

Maybe even go back in time and undo a crime?

I think if Alien/ETs were to agree with the laws of man, then it would likely be a con of some sort. I mean, after all these centuries who could trust them??

More than likely we will be abiding by their laws!!!

And who is to say they even have "law"? It is so easy for the human mind to project human virtue of good versus bad and right versus wrong, but would that be the right thing to do?....oops

Located in the massive "sinkhole" of Hebes Chasma on Mars, there is a giant pictograph that I call an "artistic alien rendering" many miles across depicting a "labrador type dog head" with a bird-like decapitated head in its mouth. And also, just barely visible is a defined shape of an arrow pierced through the bird's head.

This is an amazing statement of morality in art, alien art. Was the bird killed for food or sport?

If morality resides in the alien mind, there's a good chance I think, we could see some form of legislative body or decorum.

But God help us if we will have the need for an alien attorney.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Albion-3D View Post
    And who is to say they even have "law"? It is so easy for the human mind to project human virtue of good versus bad and right versus wrong, but would that be the right thing to do?....oops

Located in the massive "sinkhole" of Hebes Chasma on Mars, there is a giant pictograph that I call an "artistic alien rendering" many miles across depicting a "labrador type dog head" with a bird-like decapitated head in its mouth. And also, just barely visible is a defined shape of an arrow pierced through the bird's head.

This is an amazing statement of morality in art, alien art. Was the bird killed for food or sport?

If morality resides in the alien mind, there's a good chance I think, we could see some form of legislative body or decorum.

But God help us if we will have the need for an alien attorney.
    Anthropomorphize - to assign human characteristics to things non- human.
    An alien attorney. There's something I had not considered...
    Attachment 1008

Anthropomorphize - to assign human characteristics to things non- human.
    An alien attorney. There's something I had not considered...
    Just make sure you don't get the hyper-chicken from Futurama to represent you.
    My inner Mulder wants to believe, but my inner Scully remains skeptical.