Thread: FOI request/response: Penkridge/Spitsburgen recovery

FOI request/response: Penkridge/Spitsburgen recovery

My Initial FOI request:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to request information under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act relating to the possible recovery of Space debris by the Royal Electrical and Mechanical engineers in 1964. According to information in the public domain, the REME may have recovered space debris from two possible locations during the February/March 1964 period. One location near Spitzburgen, West Germany and another in the Cannock chase region, near Penkridge, Staffordshire, UK.

I would like to request access to and/or the declassification of, any records in the posetion of the MOD/REME that relate directly to either of these alleged incidents. Including; relevant memoranda, field report, final reports, films and photographs.

With your permission I may choose to include some or all of this information within an article on the topic which could be posted on the internet.

Thank you for your consideration,

Best wishes,

Lee Nicholson

MoD Response: -

Mrs Bridget Morrison, COS LF Sec
    Headquarters Land Forces
    Erskine Barracks
    Wilton
    Salisbury
    Wiltshire
    SP2 0AG

To:

Mr Lee Nicholson

Date: 16 June 2010

Reference: LF Sec/16/3/63140

Dear Mr Nicholson,

Your correspondence dated 6 June has been considered to be a request for information in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000. You requested the following information:

"I am writing to request information under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act relating to the possible recovery of Space debris by the Royal Electrical and Mechanical engineers in 1964. According to information in the public domain, the REME may have recovered space debris from two possible locations during the February/March 1964 period. One location near Spitzburgen, West Germany and another in the Cannock chase region, near Penkridge, Staffordshire, UK.

I would like to request access to and/or the declassification of, any records in the possession of the MOD/ARMY/REME that relate directly to either of these alleged incidents. Including; relevant memoranda, field reports, final reports, films and photographs.
    With permission I may choose to include some or all of this information within an article on the topic which could be posted on the internet."

I am writing to advise you that following a search of our paper and electronic records, I have established that the information you requested is not held by the Ministry of Defence. The incidents which you refer to occurred some time ago and it appears that we no longer hold any records dating from that time.

I wonder whether you have approached the National Archives at Kew, or the REME Museum to see whether they hold any information?

REME Museum

Isaac Newton Road
    Arborfield
    Berks
    RG2 9NJ

The National Archives,

Kew,
    Richmond,
    Surrey,
    TW9 4DU

I hope that this is helpful.

Yours sincerely.

Bridget Morrison

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Co...ionRequest.htm
    The OutPost Forum - "Breaking the Boundaries of Science, Exploring the Frontier of Understanding"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

"The incidents which you refer to occurred some time ago and it appears that we no longer hold any records dating from that time."

Bless their hearts. They are not hiding the records, they just don't recall where they went.

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

"..I am writing to advise you that following a search of our paper and electronic records, I have established that the information you requested is not held by the Ministry of Defence. The incidents which you refer to occurred some time ago and it appears that we no longer hold any records dating from that time."
    Anyone else notice the distinct aroma of bovine doodoo..?

Quote Originally Posted by Musado View Post
    Anyone else notice the distinct aroma of bovine doodoo..?
    I find it amazing the things that go missing--like a year's worth of Roswell unit records--just the one year. Puzzling.

Me too, in fact I can't help thinking that these kind of files are archived outside of the official system. What better way to hide them from FOIA requests and probably other officials too? In which case the FOI response above could actually be truthful.

Remember the testimony from "Mr X" a few years ago? He claimed that he was tasked with filing and archiving UFO documents dating all the way back to the 40s. He worked for a private aerospace company based in California. Begs the question, what were they doing filing and archiving official government records...?
    The OutPost Forum - "Breaking the Boundaries of Science, Exploring the Frontier of Understanding"

So, they sent him in circles... Treating him like a dog chasing his/her tail.

Me too, in fact I can't help thinking that these kind of files are archived outside of the official system. What better way to hide them from FOIA requests and probably other officials too? In which case the FOI response above could actually be truthful.

Remember the testimony from "Mr X" a few years ago? He claimed that he was tasked with filing and archiving UFO documents dating all the way back to the 40s. He worked for a private aerospace company based in California. Begs the question, what were they doing filing and archiving official government records...?

If you believe Phillip Corso (“The Day After Roswell”), small chunks of highly compartmentalize bits of “alien technology” were placed in the private sector for exploitation. I find this to be believable. There was a world changing explosion of silicon technology during that time frame, such as fiber optics, night vision, transistors and other things Phillip mentions.

M

BTW: As to the FOI response, yes I believe they no longer have that information available.

But it is somewhat less than honest to suggest to try looking in the archive or (they might as well say) to check your “local library” for it… they know where the info went, they just are not at liberty to tell you where it went.
    Last edited by Marvin; 05-16-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: additional info

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

Lt Col Corso also said the best way to hide something is to do it like they did in Raiders of the Lost Ark--just put it a box in a warehouse and "forget" it, i.e. don't enter it into any inventory. I find that believable as well.

If I knew that I had in my position docs that may some day bite me in the butt, I would make sure that they would never be found. They could've simply digitized and encrypted everything they wanted to keep and destroyed all the hard copies. No paper trail = No worries.

As far as the private sector that recieved the "alien technology" according to Col. Corso they were never told where the articles came from giving them plausible deniability. So there is no reason for them to out themselves. Yes they could put 2 and 2 together but since they have made or are making millions, were is the incentive?

So my quess is there is no paper work. Therefore when responding to a FOI request by saying there is nothing to find! They are probably not lying!! IMHO
    American by birth, Cherokee by blood and Southern by the Grace of God!