Page 83 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

New Guardians of the Galaxy trailer for UK

Gotta love my local rental video store. This past weekend father's day, I went down there at 11pm to get a new release, learned of the sale and... They sweetened the sale for midnight special!

10 movies for $5.00! But had to get 10 for the price break, averaging each at .50 cents.

Adjustment Bureau, Jack the Giant Slayer, The Host, Hanna, Safe House and Cloud Atlas are worth owning as part of a collection. At .50 cents apiece, could not turn those down.

Dark Skies, Chronicle, The Colony, GI Joe Retaliation, worth owing at .50 cents apiece.

That video store has had a lot of special sales lately. I wonder if online viewing is cutting into their market? They tell me, not the case. Just over stock. I think people are watching their budgets. The prices have to be super low to attract buyers. I suspect many people are weary of spending money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    Gotta love my local rental video store. This past weekend father's day, I went down there at 11pm to get a new release, learned of the sale and... They sweetened the sale for midnight special!

10 movies for $5.00! But had to get 10 for the price break, averaging each at .50 cents.

Adjustment Bureau, Jack the Giant Slayer, The Host, Hanna, Safe House and Cloud Atlas are worth owning as part of a collection. At .50 cents apiece, could not turn those down.

Dark Skies, Chronicle, The Colony, GI Joe Retaliation, worth owing at .50 cents apiece.

That video store has had a lot of special sales lately. I wonder if online viewing is cutting into their market? They tell me, not the case. Just over stock. I think people are watching their budgets. The prices have to be super low to attract buyers. I suspect many people are weary of spending money.
    You have video rental stores?
    Closest thing we have is "Red box"

Sounds like some bargains.
    DVD or VHS?
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    You have video rental stores?
    Closest thing we have is "Red box"

Sounds like some bargains.
    DVD or VHS?
    DVD / Bluerays

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    DVD / Bluerays
    BluRay is cool.
    Many stores here sell them, Target, WallyWorld, BestBuy, just no video rental stores anymore. Blockbuster was the last hold out, and they closed their doors (here, anyway) last January.
    Attachment 1008

Redbox is all we have anymore. I bought loads of DVDs when Blockbuster and Hollywood went out, some overpriced a bit but most were a bargain. One or two foreign films like The Seventh Seal, Andrei Rublev, and 7 Samurai I got for a fraction of retail. In Sci-Fi I got both the Russian and American films of Solaris, clean copies to replace ones I had that were not as good. Most of the foreign films at the rental places gathered dust because rental demand was so low, so buying a nearly new copy for six dollars of something Criterion wants $80 for was a very good deal, indeed. Walmart and K-Mart have bins of low cost vids but the pickings have not been great lately, Sci-Fi or otherwise.

Defiance season two started this week. Sadly, have to sign into a pay TV provider to watch it on Hulu. Sometimes that sign-in pay TV provider changes after a week or two, so will have to keep an eye on it.

Video rental stores across the US died-out. In my area there is Family Video. I suspect they continue for a number of reasons. Marketing is one. The company tends to own the land their stores are on and other buildings that are leased to business. They generally have a pizza place next door. While not every week, once a month I'll get a new release and pizza. From time to time, will visit their website and check on new releases - then use youtube to watch trailers and decide if worth chancing a rental.

Casper, I hope you don't have too much trouble connecting with this entertainment because there is something worth seeing for a change, as good as Grimm and Once Upon A Time have been.

Defiance
    ' season opener was good, lived up to last season and then some, so no complaints there. I watched the new show Dominion, derived from the film Legion which I liked very much. It is ambitious, grand scale stuff and could be good. The first hour, though, reminded me of the Magnificent Seven sequels: "We have this bad situation and what we are going to do about it is talk each other to death!" I was just about ready to give up when all Hell broke loose and it got interesting in a hurry! This could be a good one. It was an added treat to see Anthony Head of Buffy fame play a juicy villain after being stuck playing King Uther in Merlin, which was written as if the seminal king was a moron and his iconic son a blockhead. (There were two characters in Merlin that seemed to be smart enough to get in out of the rain and neither of them really mattered. Know who I mean?)

Back to Defiance. The leads are all uniformly good. Defiance is a career-maker for Grant Bowler, usually a supporting actor, and he steps into leading man action hero shoes likes he's been doing it all his life. He's got that unassuming, vulnerable "aw shucks" thing going while being ruthlessly effective when he has to be; strong father to his adopted alien daughter and his character is written so he gets to shoot all the right people before you find yourself screaming "shoot him!" at the screen. His daughter loves him to death even though she tells him "You're an idiot" when he screws up, which somehow to a 2014 audience works as a father/daughter relationship. Add to this good old solid Graham Greene, American and UK favorite Tony Curran, remarkable Jamie Murray and a few very good people whose names I should look up and you have yourself what we fans like to call-- "good"--instead of the crapola the networks spend millions on, only to go unwatched by anyone with a brain and some taste.

So Defiance and Dominion: SyFy may be coming back to its brief seasons of glory! *coughGalacticacough*

Blog Entries
    Defiance S02E01
    "The Opposite of Hallelujah"

Nolan searches for Irisa.
    New character, Mayor Pottinger, is introduced.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Falling Skies
    Season premiere
    Sunday 10pm on TNT
    Attachment 1008