Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Are we talking update from Anniversary Ed v1607 to Creators update v1703?

Very odd. I have noted some differences depending on type of hard drive SATA3-6Gbps interface.
    Standard Mechanical drive vs Solid State drive (SSD).
    But both are booting under 1 minutes for me.

Did the one hour setup included the initial download?

I setup up a client system yesterday, after the initial startup, there were 2 or 3 additional updates downloaded and installed.
    Perhaps the 8 minute boot time was the additional updates downloading and installing? Hope so!

No video anomalies noted... yet. Waiting for user to get back and report.
    The 1 hour was, as stated, 'once downloaded', i.e. after the download.

The first four times after the upgrade, boot time was 8 minutes each time, but by now it's down to 3 minutes, which is still longer than it used to be.
    I assume it may go down further.

I also noticed that, again, Microsoft changed the Default Programs for certain file extensions.

The problem with the icons is only partly solved with WinAero: after rebooting, the desktop icons are all over the place again.

Edit to add: Yes, this is the update from the Anniversary Edition to the Creator's Update.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    The 1 hour was, as stated, 'once downloaded', i.e. after the download.

The first four times after the upgrade, boot time was 8 minutes each time, but by now it's down to 3 minutes, which is still longer than it used to be.
    I assume it may go down further.

I also noticed that, again, Microsoft changed the Default Programs for certain file extensions.

The problem with the icons is only partly solved with WinAero: after rebooting, the desktop icons are all over the place again.

Edit to add: Yes, this is the update from the Anniversary Edition to the Creator's Update.
    I did see the icons mix up after the upgrade to Anniversary update last time, but not this time.
    Was thinking it might have something to do with specific video drivers.

Thanks for the potential "long boot time" warning, I will be sure to advise my clients.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Further follow-up:
    - boot times keep going down, which is a good thing
    - I had to REINSTALL some older programs, which for some reason were moved to a 'windows.old' folder.
    - the problem with the icons remains: they are scattered randomly across the desktop after booting. I've found a utility, called DesktopOK, that solves the problem. It is meant for laptop users who use different screen resolutions, and can save the different layouts they want for each of them. It can be configured to use a layout at startup.

[Let me clarify: WinAero allows me to change the vertical icon spacing on the desktop back to what it was before the upgrade. But the moment I reboot, Windows - while keeping the new spacing - repositions the icons randomly. DesktopOK prevents it from doing that, by restoring a saved icon layout].
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Further follow-up:
    - boot times keep going down, which is a good thing
    - I had to REINSTALL some older programs, which for some reason were moved to a 'windows.old' folder.
    - the problem with the icons remains: they are scattered randomly across the desktop after booting. I've found a utility, called DesktopOK, that solves the problem. It is meant for laptop users who use different screen resolutions, and can save the different layouts they want for each of them. It can be configured to use a layout at startup.

[Let me clarify: WinAero allows me to change the vertical icon spacing on the desktop back to what it was before the upgrade. But the moment I reboot, Windows - while keeping the new spacing - repositions the icons randomly. DesktopOK prevents it from doing that, by restoring a saved icon layout].
    Last time I saw a "Windows.OLD" folder created, was when I upgraded from WIN81 to WIN10.

At that time, I was also forced to reinstall my MS Office 2007.
    Surprise!
    Outlook was painful to reinstall with multiple accounts and personal folders. BUT, no data lost.

Have NOT seen it (dot OLD folder creation) with the various updates within WIN10, after that initial version jump.

The desktop icons issue sounds frustrating. Maybe uninstall Microsoft video drivers, and install Manufacturer driver instead?

Add Note: I did just notice a new "Windows10Upgrade" folder on my primary boot drive (post v1703 upgrade), but no Dot OLD folder. The new Folder was created on day (May 2017) update was performed.
    The folder was only 20megs, and did not contain any of my programs from the "program files" folder.
    Attachment 1008

After some days, boot time is almost back to normal.

I did notice several other changes, too, though. Several fonts / system fonts were changed: at the command prompt, in Windows Media Player, etc.

While looking for a solution, I came across this list with 'common problems' with the Creator's Update:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/windo...lems-and-fixes
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Just did the 'Feature Update' to go from the Spring Creator Edition to the Fall Creator Edition.

It took just over an hour and a half.

It AGAIN changed default programs for several types of files (mp3, mp4 - mainly media files)...

I had to manually reboot again after the last parts were installed, as several programs crashed.
    After that reboot, everything I used thus far works.
    And this time the network shares survived the update.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Just did the 'Feature Update' to go from the Spring Creator Edition to the Fall Creator Edition.

It took just over an hour and a half.

It AGAIN changed default programs for several types of files (mp3, mp4 - mainly media files)...

I had to manually reboot again after the last parts were installed, as several programs crashed.
    After that reboot, everything I used thus far works.
    WIN10x64 ver 1706 to 1709?
    Your lucky, of the six systems I have upgraded during the past 3 weeks, two are stuck half way thru the process.
    "ReBoot to complete update", only a reboot does NOTHING to complete the update.
    Stuck in a loop that I am still trying to resolve.

Resetting default programs (annoying, but not fatal):
    I recall reading about a Security setting that requires all programs be purchased from the MS Store.
    Are the days of third party software numbered?
    The setting can be turned off.
    Might resolve the issue?
    Attachment 1008

Update: like last time, it moved a number of Microsoft Programs to the Windows.old folder and subfolders. Some of those had to manually be reinstalled.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Windows 7 Update is not working:

"Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer".

Ghacks dot net reports the issue is affecting many users, click to read article.

I should have known better... The moment a second PC in the network upgraded, all network shares etc. were destroyed again.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin