PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Media: Films, Books and Television

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Doc
09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
One more week to the Final Season Premiere of Fringe.
Friday Sept. 28th. 9pm on Fox...

Alas, I have already had my last season of Fringe. They jacked the plot one time too many and red-haired (alive) Olivia is far more interesting than blonde (repressed) Olivia. John Noble can only carry it so far.

calikid
09-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Alas, I have already had my last season of Fringe. They jacked the plot one time too many and red-haired (alive) Olivia is far more interesting than blonde (repressed) Olivia. John Noble can only carry it so far.

Although I do understand that faux-olivia is less repressed because in her world/dimension she was never experimented on with cortexiphan, I must agree that the writting went downhill last season.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, IMO season4 turned into the Peter show with the other characters becoming hollow caricatures.

But since I has come this far out into the "Fringe", and since this will be an abbreviated 13 show season, guess I'll watch the remainder, expecting the worst, but hoping for a return to the goodness that was season1.

How will it end?
Will the riff widen and destroy both universes?
Can the new Walter & Walter-nate alliance repair the riff in time?
Will the evil Nimoy succeed in destroying one universe to save the other?

With no renewal in sight for additional episodes, I suspect the writers will have no reason NOT to kill off a few major characters... plot twist fun.

Stay tuned...

newyorklily
09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Although I do understand that faux-olivia is less repressed because in her world/dimension she was never experimented on with cortexiphan, I must agree that the writting went downhill last season.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, IMO season4 turned into the Peter show with the other characters becoming hollow caricatures.

But since I has come this far out into the "Fringe", and since this will be an abbreviated 13 show season, guess I'll watch the remainder, expecting the worst, but hoping for a return to the goodness that was season1.

How will it end?
Will the riff widen and destroy both universes?
Can the new Walter & Walter-nate alliance repair the riff in time?
Will the evil Nimoy succeed in destroying one universe to save the other?

With no renewal in sight for additional episodes, I suspect the writers will have no reason NOT to kill off a few major characters... plot twist fun.

Stay tuned...

SPOILERS:
I've heard that the last season will take place in the future, fighting the Observers who have taken over the world. I hope it's wrong. I hate when the writers transport their characters to another time in order to get out of a sticky plot situation. Not to mention that they are changing the emotional makeup of an entire species.

The writers of "Dollhouse" did the same for their very last episode and it pretty much sucked IMHO.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

CasperParks
09-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Revolution
Well, I was surprised at how good everybody's hygiene was in a land without power.
Traipsing through the woods, and everybody looked fresh as could be.... not very gritty.

And the uncle.... some kind of super killer... ducks bullets and dispatches a dozen guys singlehanded?
Ok, they need some action to establish he is a bada$$, I get it.
But hopefully the writers won't continue to stretch my "suspension of disbelief" in future episodes.

Liked the plot twist between the evil overlord and the uncle. May prove interesting down the line.

The girl is easy on the eyes, and I'm guessing the cross bow is some kind of appeal to the "hunger games" fans.
Hopefully she will settle into the role and we won't have to endure her overacting much longer.

I give the pilot a B, and hope for improvement as the character develop.

Eposide two:

They should start running these type of shows as mini-series.

calikid
09-26-2012, 01:44 PM
SPOILERS:
I've heard that the last season will take place in the future, fighting the Observers who have taken over the world. I hope it's wrong. I hate when the writers transport their characters to another time in order to get out of a sticky plot situation. Not to mention that they are changing the emotional makeup of an entire species.

The writers of "Dollhouse" did the same for their very last episode and it pretty much sucked IMHO.

We got a taste of that in last seasons Ep.19.
Liv's (Olivia) & Peter's daughter, Etta (Henrietta), is an all grown up Fringe Agent secretly pulling people out Amber 20years later to help the resistance movement in a world run by Observers.

We'll see if this time line runs the entire season, or if we do some hopping back to the past (or would it be the present?).

calikid
09-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Reveloution Ep.2

So we continue with the bada$$ uncle picking up a sidekick, a cutie who likes to blow things up, but who also kicked some serious butt in a hand-to-hand fight scene.
Yawn. Once again trying my patience with the unlikely scenario of a single person, killing a thousand people, with their bare hands.
A little more plot and a little less brawn would be nice.
That said, I do enjoy seeing the "Gus Fring" actor (of Breaking Bad fame) back on the screen. His evil continues. :)
And the Monroe character is evolving nicely .... more of that will be a welcome addition.

Doc
09-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Reveloution Ep.2

So we continue with the bada$$ uncle picking up a sidekick, a cutie who likes to blow things up, but who also kicked some serious butt in a hand-to-hand fight scene.
Yawn. Once again trying my patience with the unlikely scenario of a single person, killing a thousand people, with their bare hands.
A little more plot and a little less brawn would be nice.
That said, I do enjoy seeing the "Gus Fring" actor (of Breaking Bad fame) back on the screen. His evil continues. :)
And the Monroe character is evolving nicely .... more of that will be a welcome addition.

I missed Ep. #2. I'll have to catch it online and report back. So far, it sounds as if it could be OK entertainment for us sci-fi fans. I'm just so disheartened by all the failures and cancellations of the last couple of years that I don't want to become encouraged about this one.

newyorklily
09-29-2012, 11:37 PM
"Looper" just opened and is getting rave reviews in the most unlikely places.
http://www.space.com/17812-looper-movie-review-masterpiece.html?cid=co3942004

calikid
09-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Fringe season 5 premier sure had a downer tone.
LOTS of violin music & tear jerker scenes.
Where do they go from here?

One ray of sunshine.... the Etta character is well played. Hope she isn't killed off anytime soon!

CasperParks
09-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Watched, Battleship last night. It was decent with a good cast, well written and directed. Special effects were good, great action. Would not be surprised if there was a sequal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpoabtbEJOI

calikid
10-07-2012, 02:29 AM
I missed Ep. #2. I'll have to catch it online and report back. So far, it sounds as if it could be OK entertainment for us sci-fi fans. I'm just so disheartened by all the failures and cancellations of the last couple of years that I don't want to become encouraged about this one.

Well you can rest EZ for now Doc..... NBC just ordered a FULL season of Revolution (http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/revolution-go-on-the-new-normal-nbc-orders-full-seasons-24740/)

CasperParks
10-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Celebrated with a new novel.

Jane, The Woman Who Loved Tarzan.

"Authorized by the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate"

Doc
10-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Well you can rest EZ for now Doc..... NBC just ordered a FULL season of Revolution (http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/revolution-go-on-the-new-normal-nbc-orders-full-seasons-24740/)

This is the first show I've watched in a long time that actually gets me mad. I don't ask for much in the way of logic in entertainment, especially in sci-fi, but I do like it to remain consistent with itself to a believable degree. Charlie is a dunce. How she has stayed alive for the fifteen years is a miracle. The stick up her butt would have killed her if stupidity hadn't done the job. Did Daniel actually think letting the Captain loose was going to end well? Please. No one ever, ever heeds a warning. Miles works about four minor miracles of hand-to-hand combat in each episode. How could the nerdy guy actually imagine not telling the others about the medallion? Does every small group of refugees ever think that lighting a fire at night in the woods and yelling at each other might not be a safe thing to do? I'll give it a few more episodes because there is nothing else right now but The Event and Flash Forward were better than this.

calikid
10-10-2012, 02:22 AM
This is the first show I've watched in a long time that actually gets me mad. I don't ask for much in the way of logic in entertainment, especially in sci-fi, but I do like it to remain consistent with itself to a believable degree. Charlie is a dunce. How she has stayed alive for the fifteen years is a miracle. The stick up her butt would have killed her if stupidity hadn't done the job. Did Daniel actually think letting the Captain loose was going to end well? Please. No one ever, ever heeds a warning. Miles works about four minor miracles of hand-to-hand combat in each episode. How could the nerdy guy actually imagine not telling the others about the medallion? Does every small group of refugees ever think that lighting a fire at night in the woods and yelling at each other might not be a safe thing to do? I'll give it a few more episodes because there is nothing else right now but The Event and Flash Forward were better than this.

All true, but in the wasteland that is broadcast TV SciFi, it is one of the few I can tolerate.
Sad but true that I do not enjoy Reality TV so I am left with what few entries we are offered these day.

calikid
10-10-2012, 02:23 AM
I don't know that it qualifies as SciFi, but has anyone seen the new submarine show, "Last Resort"?
Only 2 episodes so far, but I'm starting to enjoy! :)

calikid
10-10-2012, 02:25 AM
PROMETHEUS DVD went on sale today.... have to pick it up and see the extras.... looked good at the theater....

calikid
10-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Celebrated with a new novel.

Jane, The Woman Who Loved Tarzan.

"Authorized by the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate"

Isn't that just the way of the 21st century? Re-cast the hero as a woman, and brand the same old story as new?

I was a big ERB fan as a teenager, Tarzan & John Carter of Mars.

@CP, what did you think of the recent Disney production of John Carter?

CasperParks
10-10-2012, 06:44 AM
I don't know that it qualifies as SciFi, but has anyone seen the new submarine show, "Last Resort"?
Only 2 episodes so far, but I'm starting to enjoy! :)

Someone here at OP had mentioned it as a "false flag" story. I have been watching it online at Hulu. Watching more TV shows online. Waiting to see how it plays-out. The storyline is interesting, perhaps a mini-series. Not sure about an outright TV series.

CasperParks
10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Isn't that just the way of the 21st century? Re-cast the hero as a woman, and brand the same old story as new?

I was a big ERB fan as a teenager, Tarzan & John Carter of Mars.

@CP, what did you think of the recent Disney production of John Carter?

I think they are going for romance side of Tarzan's storyline for women readers.

Estate for EBR is fussy about his stuff. They have sued in the past over usage in commericals. A mouthwash ad comes to mind, where a bottle of mouthwash swung vine to vine between trees with the Tarzan yell. The Estate for EBR made a huge deal out of suing the company for having disrespected their grandfather's work. I recall the free domain issue came-up, it was a close call. The Estate was still within legal right to sue at the time. That may or may not be the case any longer.

Rented the DVD for John Carter of Mars when it was released. The storyline and special effects were good. It is difficult remaking anything. Pleasing everyone is impossible.

Unless the film company screws it up really bad, I take into consideration they are bringing classics back to life for newer generations.

I have not seen a remake of a classic and or classic novel to film that provides enough credit for an author. Among ending credits and in special features, show bookcovers and titles of other stories by that classic author. Reasoning behind this train of thought, introduce a new generation to the classics. Many early Tarzan books are free as e-books at major online retailers. Without doing the math from EBR's death to present time, the passage of years may have made those stories free domain.

On a side note, I glimpsed the opening pages for Son of Tarzan e-book, which is free. That style of writing would never fly with major publishing houses of today. However, anyone badmouthing EBR's style and grammar would be cast into a lake of fire.

CasperParks
10-10-2012, 07:38 AM
PROMETHEUS DVD went on sale today.... have to pick it up and see the extras.... looked good at the theater....

I enjoyed it. They opened the doorway, taking the storyline a new direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WUpsErUBA

They created a site for the fictional company "Weyland Industries".

http://www.weylandindustries.com/

calikid
10-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Maybe you know Casper. Why did they name the movie "John Carter" and not "John Carter of Mars"? Copyright issues?
As I recall from my reading, WAY back in my youth, all the books were "... of Mars".

CasperParks
10-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Maybe you know Casper. Why did they name the movie "John Carter" and not "John Carter of Mars"? Copyright issues?
As I recall from my reading, WAY back in my youth, all the books were "... of Mars".

Aside from the Disney film, there was another recent John Carter film done with Traci Lords in it.

(John Carter Series)
Barsoom series

A Princess of Mars (1912)
The Gods of Mars (1914)
The Warlord of Mars (1918)
Thuvia, Maid of Mars (1920)
The Chessmen of Mars (1922)
The Master Mind of Mars (1928)
A Fighting Man of Mars (1931)
Swords of Mars (1936)
Synthetic Men of Mars (1940)
Llana of Gathol (1948)
John Carter of Mars (1964) "John Carter and the Giant of Mars" (1940) Actually written by Burroughs's son, John Coleman Burroughs.
"Skeleton Men of Jupiter" (1942)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Rice_Burroughs#Barsoom_series

The public domain is meant to be a source of free culture for all the world to enjoy, mix and derive other works from. Unfortunately, there are many people and organizations in the world that wish to block the use of public domain material. Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. (ERB) is one such organization. Founded in 1923, this corporation has been handling all the copyrights and other rights for the works created by the author Edgar Rice Burroughs. Amongst the rights held by the corporation are the rights to the Tarzan and John Carter of Mars characters. What makes this situation somewhat unique is the fact that only a portion of the Tarzan and John Carter books are still covered by copyright in the US. A number of the early works were published prior to 1923 when modern copyright terms of life plus 70 years went into effect. Even though the copyrights of the early works are long expired, ERB has shown that it will block the use of both characters in modern derivative works.

With that in mind, it should come as little surprise that ERB has set its legal sights on the comic book company Dynamite Entertainment. You see, Dynamite had the audacity to base a series of comic books on the public domain stories and settings found in the early Tarzan and John Carter books. However, ERB was not having it. So it decided to sue Dynamite, not for copyright infringement (at least not primarily) but for trademark infringement. Since it can't fight Dynamite's use of those public domain stories on copyright grounds, it is attempting to use trademark law to block it.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120228/18543417906/edgar-rice-burroughs-inc-using-trademark-law-to-prevent-use-public-domain-stories.shtml

Disney was running into trouble over expiring copyrights, however they had a trademark thing going for them, and Disney is big business in Florida and Califorina.

Dragonfire
10-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Just saw a commercial for the return of Fringe: Reborn. Starts 11/20/2012

calikid
10-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Just saw a commercial for the return of Fringe: Reborn. Starts 11/20/2012

Sequel? Same show with a new timeline?

calikid
10-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Aside from the Disney film, there was another recent John Carter film done with Traci Lords in it.

(John Carter Series)
Barsoom series

<snip>

Amazon seems to have SEVERAL "John Carter of Mars" book titles listed, one book indicates there were 7 titles in a series.

John Carter: Adventures on Mars Collection (Illustrated) (Seven "John Carter of Mars" novels in one volume).

Just struck me as odd that many titles included the full name, but the movies excluded it.

I saw the Traci Lords movie you mentioned on SciFi channel awhile back.
Typical B movie, didn't expect much, and that's what they delivered! haha.

Doc
10-11-2012, 08:17 PM

No, it looks like the original show in syndication as that channel does with Firefly.

Dragonfire
10-11-2012, 10:06 PM

Not sure, the title is actually "Fringe: Reborn"

At least that's what I saw.

You could be right Doc.

Doc
10-12-2012, 02:23 AM
(http://seriable.com/categories/fox-network/fringe/):(

Fringe (http://seriable.com/categories/fox-network/fringe/) may be coming to an end, but it’s about to be reborn on the Science Channel.

Earlier this year, Science Channel were the first to hoover up the off-network syndication (http://seriable.com/fringe-sold-to-science-channel-in-off-network-syndication/) rights to air past seasons of Fringe. The journey re-begins from November 20, and they’ve released a promo to let you all know about it.
No new footage of course, but a neat little promo for new and veteran fans alike:

Originally posted: http://seriable.com/fringe-reborn-on-science-channel-promo/#ixzz292lVkJh5

CasperParks
10-12-2012, 03:20 AM
There is a kick-start project underway to reboot a new Star Trek Series, currently being shopped to CBS.

The website:
http://startrekrenegades.com/

The video teasers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfhWr9l1NI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOtEK9l4oik&feature=plcp

The other one as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIHVug6x7kw&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Doc
10-12-2012, 03:03 PM
The fanboys choked the life out of the last Star Trek series by bad mouthing it all over the internet nonstop. The Star Trek Traditionalists have become the saga's worst enemies.

calikid
10-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Wow..... you'd think 22nd century geriatrics would be kinder to the old crew.
Guessing Scottie and Bones are MIA (RIP).

Garuda
10-12-2012, 03:11 PM
The fanboys choked the life out of the last Star Trek series by bad mouthing it all over the internet nonstop. The Star Trek Traditionalists have become the saga's worst enemies.

From a technical / production point of view 'Enterprise' was the best series. But it had a number of problems. One was that the stories of the first and especially the second season weren't very memorable. Things were better for the third and fourth year. Personally, I think some of the story arcs of the fourth year are among the best Star Trek episodes.

But I can perfectly understand the frustration of the fans. The whole premise of an 'Enterprise' before Kirk's goes against all of the existing Star Trek lore at the time, as Kirk's Enterprise was considered the 'first'. And there were many such breaks with the existing lore (where the 'Enterprise' crew encounters Borg, Ferengi, ...).

Another aspect that worked against it was that the show basically was a Scott Bakula show, whereas the viewers had come to expect more of a sense of family with the series that came before (The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager).

Well, that's what I think anyway...

Doc
10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
From a technical / production point of view 'Enterprise' was the best series. But it had a number of problems. One was that the stories of the first and especially the second season weren't very memorable. Things were better for the third and fourth year. Personally, I think some of the story arcs of the fourth year are among the best Star Trek episodes.

But I can perfectly understand the frustration of the fans. The whole premise of an 'Enterprise' before Kirk's goes against all of the existing Star Trek lore at the time, as Kirk's Enterprise was considered the 'first'. And there were many such breaks with the existing lore (where the 'Enterprise' crew encounters Borg, Ferengi, ...).

Another aspect that worked against it was that the show basically was a Scott Bakula show, whereas the viewers had come to expect more of a sense of family with the series that came before (The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager).

Well, that's what I think anyway...

I agree Enterprise was the best in some ways and IMO as good as TNG among the spin-offs. The fanboys insist on the canon not in the sensible criticisms you mention but in all things and when they criticize they condemn the whole series rather than give input that might improve the series. I thought the cast blended well and didn't see it as a Scott Bakula show the way you did. It might have been better if some of the other cast were stronger, now that you mention it.

I could easily be one of those nit-pickers--being critical is in my nature. One of the things that got me over that was Lord of the Rings. The nit-pickers complained about all the changes and omissions in the films. Having read the books three times in twenty years, I thought the films improved on the books in two important ways. Tolkien was terrible at pacing the action (Frodo and Sam could have died of old age on the way to Mordor) and he did not write very compelling dialogue. I was willing to see Tom Bombadil cut out and other characters expanded because, to me, it made a better story. So, if the reboot of the Star Trek films strays in a few things large and small from the canonical Star Trek, I'm OK with that if they give me Anton Yelchin as Checkov and Karl Urban as Bones McCoy...and Simon Pegg as Scotty! I like it.

Fore
10-13-2012, 07:12 AM
If you look towards the end, you will see why it qualifies as "Sci Fi". Look carefully at the brief suggestive imagery.

What do you think you see?

Atlas Shrugged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF9QT43uDQU
http://www.atlasshruggedmovie.com/

calikid
10-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Walking Dead, season 3 premier (http://www.amctv.com/thewalkingdead4dish/), Oct 14th, 2012

Doc
10-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Walking Dead, season 3 premier (http://www.amctv.com/thewalkingdead4dish/), Oct 14th, 2012

This one sneaked up on me! One of my friends usually texts me during this with comments or speculation--good times! :biggrin2: Miss August bought herself a Zombie Wacker at a Gun Show we went to last week. You never know when the Zombie Apocalypse will begin!

Doc
10-13-2012, 10:27 PM
If you look towards the end, you will see why it qualifies as "Sci Fi". Look carefully at the brief suggestive imagery.

Atlas Shrugged

I didn't see it. What do you think it represents?

CasperParks
10-14-2012, 12:10 AM
I didn't see it. What do you think it represents?

I visited their website, they are pushing for Atlas II that answers questions left from Atlas I.

A99
10-14-2012, 02:36 AM
I never even knew there was an Atlas I movie ... will check that out. This new Atlas II looks like a winner though!

A99
10-14-2012, 02:41 AM

Ugh, one wonders what our world is coming to when we have TV series like this one being produced. That this one is on its third season just shows where our national mentality is at now.

~ note to self - check out Zombie Wackers sold online.

calikid
10-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Atlas Shrugged

The free energy device reminds me of the "ED" referenced from Serpo...

calikid
10-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Ugh, one wonders what our world is coming to when we have TV series like this one being produced. That this one is on its third season just shows where our national mentality is at now.

~ note to self - check out Zombie Wackers sold online.

I am not big on gut & gore. But if you can look past the special effects you may find some smartly written scripts chock full of good character interactions.

Might even find some zombie metaphors for life crisis like medical or financial or legal woes or jobless/homelessness that need to be faced up and overcome... IMO one of the better cable offerings of late.

calikid
10-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Walking Dead. S03E01

SPOILER ALERT

High energy opener.

So Many Questions....

Is Laurie's baby a dead zombie about to rip her insides out?

What will Hershel's new handle be? Hop-A-Long? Stumpy?

Does Michonne have to feed those two pets? How do they chew?

How DO you kill a zombie in riot gear?

CasperParks
10-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Free on Hulu, a documentary on Novelist Ayn Rand who wrote Atlas Shrugs.

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/373081

newyorklily
10-28-2012, 03:27 AM
An interesting episode of Grimm aired Friday night http://www.hulu.com/watch/417743 It is based on an actual legend from New Mexico called "La Llorona" which is about a mother who kills her children, then herself and then haunts the area, luring children to their deaths. Lon Strickler wrote externsively about the legend in his Phantoms and Monsters blog http://naturalplane.blogspot.com/2012/10/grimm-digs-up-la-llorona-legend.html

Recently in New York City (before the Grimm episode aired), a nanny stabbed to death two of the three children she cared for and then stabbed herself in the neck. The mother came home with the third child to find the two children in the bathtub and the nanny stabbing herself. http://abcnews.go.com/US/nanny-stabbed-front-distraught-mother/story?id=17568995#.UIyj22_7KJs The nanny is alive but unresponsive. News reports said that toxicology tests came back negative and doctors have no idea why she is "catatonic".

Sorry to post such a gruesome story but I found the similarities to the legend chilling.

calikid
10-30-2012, 01:16 PM
So has anyone seen CLOUD ATLAS? What did you think?

The premise sounds intriguing.

With Cloud Atlas, writing/directing duo The Wachowskis (The Matrix Trilogy) and their collaborator Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) attempt to convert David Mitchell’s multi-layered, multi-faceted novel into a blockbuster movie experience that feeds both the mind and the soul. To call it ambitious would be an understatement.

The story is in fact six stories, spread across various epochs of time (the mid-19th century, the early 1930s, the mid-1970s, 2012, the future, and a more distant future). In each of these stories, we meet various characters (played by the same ensemble of actors) whose lives, experiences and legacies ripple throughout past and future via artistic connective threads like music, writing or film footage, shaping life, destiny – and even the fate of the world, in some cases. As each story progresses along its arc, a web of cosmic significance slowly but surely comes into view, reminding us that our lives are not just our own, and our connections to others – whether comprehended or not – are far more precious than we may know.

Review continues (http://screenrant.com/cloud-atlas-reviews-movie/)

Doc
10-30-2012, 03:22 PM
An interesting episode of Grimm aired Friday night http://www.hulu.com/watch/417743 It is based on an actual legend from New Mexico called "La Llorona" which is about a mother who kills her children, then herself and then haunts the area, luring children to their deaths. Lon Strickler wrote externsively about the legend in his Phantoms and Monsters blog http://naturalplane.blogspot.com/2012/10/grimm-digs-up-la-llorona-legend.html

Recently in New York City (before the Grimm episode aired), a nanny stabbed to death two of the three children she cared for and then stabbed herself in the neck. The mother came home with the third child to find the two children in the bathtub and the nanny stabbing herself. http://abcnews.go.com/US/nanny-stabbed-front-distraught-mother/story?id=17568995#.UIyj22_7KJs The nanny is alive but unresponsive. News reports said that toxicology tests came back negative and doctors have no idea why she is "catatonic".

Sorry to post such a gruesome story but I found the similarities to the legend chilling.

I saw that episode. There is a rumor that the nanny didn't actually kill anyone but that the murders were a corporate "hit" on the family of an enemy. Chilling thought.

Doc
10-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Revolution: I had given up on this show but decided to watch it one more time. I was pleasantly surprised. Charlie and the rest of the protagonists have at least begun to shed their impossible bumbling foolishness and begun acting like people who have been living in a dystopian jungle for fifteen years. The show looks like it is building toward something which may be worth it after all. Anyone who shoots a looney sadist right through the heart without any pretty speeches is OK by me.

CasperParks
10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
I saw that episode. There is a rumor that the nanny didn't actually kill anyone but that the murders were a corporate "hit" on the family of an enemy. Chilling thought.

http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showthread.php?152-End-Game-Economic-Political-Crisis&p=15148#post15148

CNBC Exec’s Children Murdered, 1 Day After CNBC Reports $43 Trillion Bankster Lawsuit

This week financial news organization CNBC gave some mainstream attention to the largest money laundering and racketeering lawsuit in United States History, in which “Banksters” and their U.S. racketeering partners are being accused of laundering of 43 trillion dollars worth of ill gotten gains.

The lawsuit is said to involve officials located in the highest offices of government and the financial sector.

Since this information was surprisingly revealed by the mainstream news organization there has been a very suspicious and deadly fallout at the CNBC headquarters.

Within hours the original page for the article was taken down, and CNBC senior vice president Kevin Krim received news that his children were killed under very suspicious circumstances.

It seems that the murder happened first and then the page was removed later.

According to mainstream accounts the children’s nanny is responsible for the murders, allegedly stabbing both children.

However, those same mainstream news sources report the highly unlikely story that the nanny slit her own throat just after committing the homicides.

LINK (http://theintelhub.com/2012/10/27/cnbc-execs-children-murdered-1-day-after-cnbc-reports-43-trillion-bankster-lawsuit/)

CasperParks
10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
So has anyone seen CLOUD ATLAS? What did you think?

The premise sounds intriguing.

Review continues (http://screenrant.com/cloud-atlas-reviews-movie/)

I plan to see it.

CasperParks
10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Revolution: I had given up on this show but decided to watch it one more time. I was pleasantly surprised. Charlie and the rest of the protagonists have at least begun to shed their impossible bumbling foolishness and begun acting like people who have been living in a dystopian jungle for fifteen years. The show looks like it is building toward something which may be worth it after all. Anyone who shoots a looney sadist right through the heart without any pretty speeches is OK by me.

In the opening credits it starts with Evolution and turns into Revolution, that keeps me wondering.

montalk
10-30-2012, 08:06 PM
In the opening credits it starts with Evolution and turns into Revolution, that keeps me wondering.

In the animated YouTube series Afterworld (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd3stfOcpq8&playnext=1&list=PL07E03F5180A9F18A), which Revolution seems to have been "inspired by", the world loses electricity due to a network of black ops satellites that broadcast a periodic EMP pulse. But the pulse and its consequences had other side effects, including human mutation, climate change, and paranormal effects. Revolution already copied the black ops and climate change aspects, and with Abrams being involved I wonder if it'll segue onto some more esoteric themes eventually.

I saw Cloud Atlas. It was good, and not confusing or hard to follow if you pay attention. Like the summaries say, it's about the battle between the forces of freedom and oppression, and how the souls involved in that fight continue their interplay across multiple lifetimes, with the historical consequences of their past actions playing important roles in their future lives. So it's about reincarnation, karma, and the destiny of mankind.

Only difficult part was understanding some of the pigeon english and asian accent lines. And even at 165 minutes, I felt it would have been better had it been longer, so that each storyline (or at least the future Neo Seoul story) were told in full instead of leaving some things implied, like a full showing of how "the Fall" came about exactly. But overall I think it was an interesting film worth seeing.

CasperParks
10-31-2012, 03:15 AM
atmjjc posted something about Skin Walkers in http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showthread.php?343-DEMONIC-or-ET-any-first-hand-ENCOUNTERS

Four Corners region of the nation, it reminded me of Louis L' Amour's "The Haunted Mesa".

Doc
10-31-2012, 05:11 AM
I plan to see it.

I will see "Cloud Atlas" too. Probably wait and rent it.

calikid
10-31-2012, 02:09 PM
I will see "Cloud Atlas" too. Probably wait and rent it.

At 162 mins running time, having the option to "pause" for bathroom breaks would be a nice!

Doc
10-31-2012, 02:15 PM
At 162 mins running time, having the option to "pause" for bathroom breaks would be a nice!

And the popcorn is cheaper here. :bleh:

Doc
11-03-2012, 01:07 PM
atmjjc posted something about Skin Walkers in http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showthread.php?343-DEMONIC-or-ET-any-first-hand-ENCOUNTERS

Four Corners region of the nation, it reminded me of Louis L' Amour's "The Haunted Mesa".

Related topic: The Skinwalker Ranch is still being investigated...but with far less publicity than when it was a hot topic. I found the number and caliber of the witnesses compelling if not convincing. George Knapp reported on the phenomena and I consider him reliable and consistent. There are "Legends" that became legends because they are based on truth observed and remembered over a long period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinwalker_Ranch

A99
11-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Continuation on coversation from another thread concerning the show 'Grimm'.... Doc said that he finds the character Monroe more interesting than some of the others and below is my comment on the one that I found the most interesting.... so far...

I'm intrigued by Renard... one reason being is because he's the precinct captain and this is one of the only hybrid police shows (or regular police shows for that matter) where the character in that position is not shoved off to the sideline. I had a precinct captain in my immediate family who then went on to become the head detective and then later became the interim police chief of the 3rd largest police force in the country before he finally retired. But it was not only his leadership qualities that helped him to reach the top of the heap because it was also his very well developed 'sixth sense' too.

Because of my own family history and knowing what I know about how such things as having a well developed sixth sense is a noted quality and personal advantage in any law enforcement agency, I'm surprised that more police and detective shows don't work with that certain "quality" that a lot of the top honcho's on any force possess more often than not compared to the ones who don't get promoted as often. In real life, they are indeed more exceptional in certain ways than most mere mortals, or else they would not have attained the high position they are in in the first place but most police shows don't show that -- especially in the area of being more intuitive than most to such an extent that it puts them ahead of everybody else when trying to locate the bad guy.

I'm new to Grimm but am also focusing on Renard for reasons stated above. I'm interested to find out what it is about him that makes him stand out from the rest. Fortunately there are sites on the net about this show and its characters. Overall, I like the concept of this show and in a lot of ways it's very unique and imaginative.

Dragonfire
11-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Not to get too far off track here, I do like the show Haven on the SyFy channel. They are going to reveal more about everyone's abilities this season.

CasperParks
11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Continuation on coversation from another thread concerning the show 'Grimm'....

I'm intrigued by Renard... one reason being is because he's the precinct captain and this is one of the only hybrid police shows (or regular police shows for that matter) where the character in that position is not shoved off to the sideline. I had a precinct captain in my immediate family who then went on to become the head detective and then later became the interim police chief of the 3rd largest police force in the country before he finally retired. But it was not only his leadership qualities that helped him to reach the top of the heap because it was also his very well developed 'sixth sense' too.

Because of my own family history and knowing what I know about how such things as having a well developed sixth sense is a noted quality and personal advantage in any law enforcement agency, I'm surprised that more police and detective shows don't work with that certain "quality" that a lot of the top honcho's on any force possess more often than not compared to the ones who don't get promoted as often. In real life, they are indeed more exceptional in certain ways than most mere mortals, or else they would not have attained the high position they are in in the first place but most police shows don't show that -- especially in the area of being more intuitive than most to such an extent that it puts them ahead of everybody else when trying to locate the bad guy.

I'm new to Grimm but am also focusing on Renard for reasons stated above. I'm interested to find out what it is about him that makes him stand out from the rest. Fortunately there are sites on the net about this show and its characters. Overall, I like the concept of this show and in a lot of ways it's very unique and imaginative.

A99, you caught me by surprise!

Skinwalkers and Grimm never crossed my mind.

You are correct. Grimm does hit on what could be considered as "skinwalkers".

First eposide, I hinged on the show not sure about it. Second eposide won me over.

Here is why I love the internet. Missed last night's airing, then caught the missed eposide at Hulu free early this morning.

Captain Renard, prince born out of wedlock and forced away from the family.

Grimm is just getting started, and I see this show holding on for a few seasons. Great writers, great directors, great cast and growing base of fans.

CasperParks
11-03-2012, 06:11 PM

Side-note, Haunted Mesa by Louis L' Amour is science fiction. He was one of a few authors who jumped from genre to genre. For the most part, major publishing houses will not allow an author to jump between genres. L' Amour's first draft of a story was the only draft. He made no errors or typos, and he used an old fashioned typewriter. One of his children came-up behind him when working and asked, "Daddy, why are typing so fast?" He replied, "I want to see how the story ends."

Doc
11-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Grimm: I've watched it from the first episode and it is a favorite. I really enjoy the mythology they draw on which is all new to me. The cast and the plot line are uniformly good to better. It seemed to go off in a couple of false starts but now seems to have found a story line that works. They set up the captain to be a serious villain then didn't do much with him for some time. Now he has a subplot that is unusual, which I like. I like entertainment the best when I can't figure out in advance what is going to happen.

I think it was a good idea to bring Hank in on the secret. Keeping him in the dark was going to get awkward. One sign of bad writing is when an otherwise smart character has to be stupid about some key thing to keep the story going. Monroe kept me interested in the show when it seemed to be faltering at first. He may be only the Plucky Comic Relief but he carries a big part of the entertainment for me. When he shows up I know I will be smiling in a minute or so.

I have a efw little quibbles about the logic of the show but I'll leave them for now. Grimm could go on for years and I'd be glad. :cool:

calikid
11-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Fringe....SPOILER

Can't believe they killed off Etta. She was actually an interesting new character. Sad they didn't give her a chance to develop.

CasperParks
11-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Fringe....SPOILER

Can't believe they killed off Etta. She was actually an interesting new character. Sad they didn't give her a chance to develop.

With Fringe dead doesn't always mean dead forever..

CasperParks
11-04-2012, 06:13 AM
District 9 is free for a limited time at crackle dot com

http://www.crackle.com/c/District_9

Doc
11-04-2012, 03:40 PM
District 9 is free for a limited time at crackle dot com

http://www.crackle.com/c/District_9

Very few films leave me creeped out. This is one of them. I guess it is a tribute to the art--but I won't watch this one again any time soon.

newyorklily
11-04-2012, 03:56 PM
OK, I know, I'm very far behind in this. I've just started watching Firefly on Hulu and found out how awesome it is. Why do they take the good shows off the air so quickly?

Doc
11-04-2012, 04:16 PM
OK, I know, I'm very far behind in this. I've just started watching Firefly on Hulu and found out how awesome it is. Why do they take the good shows off the air so quickly?

Firefly was a great show. The cast was amazing and the stories still hold up well in reruns. I remember when it first came out I couldn't get into it. For some reason the Frontier/Western background didn't play well with me at the time. When I first saw it in reruns I wondered what the heck my problem was? Several of the cast members have said they would go back and do Firefly all over again in a heartbeat.

If you haven't seen Serenity, the film made after the series, it is worth owning as a film to watch on a rainy afternoon or when there is nothing on worth watching. :cool:

CasperParks
11-04-2012, 04:47 PM

I had discovered the series when it first came out on DVD, did the rental thing and marathoned it. Then the movie was released shortly afterwards, so was able to rent that as well.

A99
11-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I've only seen the last few episodes of this show on Hulu, which are free. I have not seen the episodes that came prior to that for this season because they are Hulu Plus ones where one needs a paid sub. to see them. I don't have a sub. and don't plan to either but I have taken the time to read over a few pages on the Grimm Wiki site so I now know who's who and what went on in Season 1 and the first half of Season 2.

The show is entertaining but already I'm getting bored with the main weekly plots because they are all basically the same. Someone's murdered or kidnapped by a Weson and Nick and Hank chase them down where they usually end up killing them in self-defense. In short, these episodes are really not too different from any police show out there except that the bad guy is also a Weson.

At any rate, to me, such plots are just fillers for the current main sub-plots of which there are 2, the Nick/ Renard/Juliette love triangle and the blossoming romance between Monroe and Rosalee -- the first being more prominent than the other. The Nick/Juliette thing is really starting to sizzle now but, on the other hand, it's making poor Nick look like a real loser/cuckhold? lol ... not good for the main character of the show.

But here are a few changes I'd like to see done to this show to make it more interesting.

--- Kill off Juliette and find a pretty Weson for Nick to fall in love with who can act.
--- Make Renard a little more sinister than he is right now.
--- Produce more episodes that fill us in more on Renards' family, the Royals.
--- They should also show flashbacks to earlier era's having to do with the Templars and the Chinese all the way back to ancient Tibet.
--- Have those flashbacks to those earlier times in history occur in every episode. The aim would be to capitalize more on the mythology depicted in this show. Even flashbacks to the Nazis and their involvement with those coins, the Weson's, the Grimms and so on would be very entertaining too.

--- Show a division in the Weson demographic where the evil ones are actively seeking to take over the world with the good ones trying to subvert that. Maybe the bad Wesons could even have some ET's who are helping them do that too.
--- The good ones should be working with Monroe as their leader who in turn is helping out Nick and Hank to subvert any new plot by the bad Weson's to further their agenda.

--- IOW's, the "police show" aspects of each episode should tie in directly to the evil agenda being carried out by the "bad" Wesons.
--- Does all of this sound familiar? Yes, because it is not unlike the ongoing narrative presented by David Icke concerning the Reptilians and the kinda thing we saw going on in "V".
--- But the main characters of this show should be Renard, Monroe and Nick... in that order.

Grimm: I've watched it from the first episode and it is a favorite. I really enjoy the mythology they draw on which is all new to me. The cast and the plot line are uniformly good to better. It seemed to go off in a couple of false starts but now seems to have found a story line that works. They set up the captain to be a serious villain then didn't do much with him for some time. Now he has a subplot that is unusual, which I like. I like entertainment the best when I can't figure out in advance what is going to happen.

I think it was a good idea to bring Hank in on the secret. Keeping him in the dark was going to get awkward. One sign of bad writing is when an otherwise smart character has to be stupid about some key thing to keep the story going. Monroe kept me interested in the show when it seemed to be faltering at first. He may be only the Plucky Comic Relief but he carries a big part of the entertainment for me. When he shows up I know I will be smiling in a minute or so.

I have a efw little quibbles about the logic of the show but I'll leave them for now. Grimm could go on for years and I'd be glad. :cool:

newyorklily
11-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Watched Revolution for the first time last night. I could only make it through half of episode 2 because of the violence. Way too much.It was also very unrealistic. All those cars lying around, abandoned? The thing that victims of Hurricane Sandy have been complaining about the most is the gasoline shortage. If there was no gas and no electric power -- or, even no car battery power -- somebody would find some way to make those cars move. And then that person would sell it.

calikid
11-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Watched CLOUD ATLAS last Friday.

2hr40mins is a long movie, but held my interest the whole time.

One objection I had to the FIVE story lines was that they seemed to be pushing the idea of reincarnation (ala the comet tattoo).
A much simpler explanation would be that human motivations, the spirit of mankind if you will, goes on from this generation to the next. Rather than the physical/intellectual essence of an individual is reborn in perpetuity.

Maybe someone more familiar with plot devices could comment on if eliminating this aspect would have detracted too much from the story line...

A99
11-05-2012, 03:48 PM
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad164/A99_x/grimm.jpg

Grimm: I’ve changed my mind on #1 on that list on what I would change on that show to make it better, so I crossed it off. The reason being is because maybe Nick would not be too happy ending up with a Weson female after all as I can’t imagine having to take one’s mate to the vet all the time to make sure they are completely free of mange, heartworm and ear mites; especially the hairier ones!

But no matter how bad an actress she is (that is unless you call careening from ennui to listlessness to a dull funk as ones only ’emotes’ in every scene she’s in as "great acting") -- knocking off Juliette would just be adding, yet, more violence and bloodshed to a show that already has too much of it as it is. Yes, I agree, there’s definitely too much violence in some of these sci-fi shows on tv.

This said though, she’s definitely one lucky gal to have two equally hot guys after her… one being a human (Nick) and the other being a Weson half-breed (Renard). But let’s hope that at the end of the day she chooses the one who doesn’t drink out of the toilet!*

* -- not that all Weson’s do that and I’m sure most do NOT! But seriously, from the looks of it, I‘m sure a few of them wouldn‘t even think twice about it!

Doc
11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I've only seen the last few episodes of this show on Hulu, which are free. I have not seen the episodes that came prior to that for this season because they are Hulu Plus ones where one needs a paid sub. to see them. I don't have a sub. and don't plan to either but I have taken the time to read over a few pages on the Grimm Wiki site so I now know who's who and what went on in Season 1 and the first half of Season 2.

The show is entertaining but already I'm getting bored with the main weekly plots because they are all basically the same. Someone's murdered or kidnapped by a Weson and Nick and Hank chase them down where they usually end up killing them in self-defense. In short, these episodes are really not too different from any police show out there except that the bad guy is also a Weson.

At any rate, to me, such plots are just fillers for the current main sub-plots of which there are 2, the Nick/ Renard/Juliette love triangle and the blossoming romance between Monroe and Rosalee -- the first being more prominent than the other. The Nick/Juliette thing is really starting to sizzle now but, on the other hand, it's making poor Nick look like a real loser/cuckhold? lol ... not good for the main character of the show.

But here are a few changes I'd like to see done to this show to make it more interesting.

--- Kill off Juliette and find a pretty Weson for Nick to fall in love with who can act.
--- Make Renard a little more sinister than he is right now.
--- Produce more episodes that fill us in more on Renards' family, the Royals.
--- They should also show flashbacks to earlier era's having to do with the Templars and the Chinese all the way back to ancient Tibet.
--- Have those flashbacks to those earlier times in history occur in every episode. The aim would be to capitalize more on the mythology depicted in this show. Even flashbacks to the Nazis and their involvement with those coins, the Weson's, the Grimms and so on would be very entertaining too.

--- Show a division in the Weson demographic where the evil ones are actively seeking to take over the world with the good ones trying to subvert that. Maybe the bad Wesons could even have some ET's who are helping them do that too.
--- The good ones should be working with Monroe as their leader who in turn is helping out Nick and Hank to subvert any new plot by the bad Weson's to further their agenda.

--- IOW's, the "police show" aspects of each episode should tie in directly to the evil agenda being carried out by the "bad" Wesons.
--- Does all of this sound familiar? Yes, because it is not unlike the ongoing narrative presented by David Icke concerning the Reptilians and the kinda thing we saw going on in "V".
--- But the main characters of this show should be Renard, Monroe and Nick... in that order.

A99: Great analysis!

Renard did start out as a more menacing character and then they seemed to back off from that. I thought they were trying to avoid some of the Police Show cliches or they had Nick and Renard on a collision course that would erupt too soon and changed their minds about that subplot.

One of my "quibbles" that I didn't mention above is that I don't see Nick (or the actor, maybe) as a very strong or compelling character. Renard, Hank and Monroe all seem stronger to me and tend to outshine him. It doesn't help that the previous role I saw him in he was a pretty boy with no strength of character.

The girlfriend is odd, I think. Smart one minute, foolhardy the next. It seems to be a lapse in logic that Nick leaves her alone and unprotected in that house all hours of the night even after he and she have been attacked in their home more than once.

I think your idea of flashbacks is an excellent one and would improve the show.

I agree that the story lines are all the same...but many shows have gotten away with that once you begin to care about the people. Much has been written about The X Files having only two story lines and Star Trek having only three, endlessly repeated. In both, it was the relationships people were coming to see...or so they say. :biggrin2:

A99
11-05-2012, 04:10 PM
"Menacing", yes, that's the word I was looking for in my thoughts about how they could make some improvements on Renard. That they had him like that in the beginning is something they should have stuck with. Hopefully they will choose to revert back to that again as that would make him even more interesting than he is right now.
Also, I totally agree with your sentiments on Nick and that those other guys on the show outshine him by a mile in terms of "strength of character"... wow! You're good at this!
As for the story lines, I hear ya! That's a big problem, in my view, with a lot of shows on tv... especially the police ones but this goes for other genres too. In my view, it's lazy writing regardless that they do put a lot of focus on character development.
As for the gf... lol. She reminds me of that blond on "The Event"... the one who couldn't act her way out of a paper bag even when held at gun-point! Lol... Same thing here too with Juliette.

------------------------------
So here we have the 2 main characters of a show where neither one of them are good actors... certainly not compared to the other actors on it. Very odd how that is but there ARE ways they can work around that.

calikid
11-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Walking Dead

SPOILER Alert.

Hello Baby
RIP Lori
RIP T-Dog

Doc
11-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Walking Dead

SPOILER Alert.

Hello Baby
RIP Lori
RIP T-Dog

People were commenting about it all over the internet last night on totally unrelated forums and blogs. One guy just said, "Walking Dead tonight. Brutal."

I was thinking that kid was already "numbing" from PTSD, he will really be a mess now. :cool:

calikid
11-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Walking Dead

SPOILER Alert.

Hello Baby
RIP Lori
RIP T-Dog

People were commenting about it all over the internet last night on totally unrelated forums and blogs. One guy just said, "Walking Dead tonight. Brutal."

I was thinking that kid was already "numbing" from PTSD, he will really be a mess now. :cool:

Nothing like putting down your own zombie mom to spoil your day. Either a hot mess or a hard case...

CasperParks
11-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Walking Dead, prior season or seasons is at local DVD rental store. I am not into Zombie stuff, over done. Between posts here and people working at the DVD rental place, every says it is a great series. Will have to rent the first disk with a few eposides on it just to check it out. If decent, it could turn into a marathon session to catch-up.

calikid
11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Walking Dead, prior season or seasons is at local DVD rental store. I am not into Zombie stuff, over done. Between posts here and people working at the DVD rental place, every says it is a great series. Will have to rent the first disk with a few eposides on it just to check it out. If decent, it could turn into a marathon session to catch-up.

I may joke about the gratuitous violence, but I've never been a big fan of slasher flicks either.
But I think you will discover, as I did, that the acting and metaphors are well done in this series.

In one episode, Rick is begging Hershel not to throw them off his farm; "You don't know what it's like out there" he begs.
It could have been any homeless family on the planet, not just refugees from a Zombie Apocalypse.

Look forward to hearing your "review". Enjoy. :)

A99
11-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Last night I watched "I Am Number 4" which is now a movie showing on You Tube. I thought it was an interesting mix of Sci-fi and "magical" fantasy, not too unlike Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy which uses the same combo's. It's based on a book by the same name by Pittacus Lore (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/wiki/Pittacus_Lore) and "it' is the first book in the Lorien Legacies (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/wiki/Lorien_Legacies) series.

"Lorien Legacies is a series of young adult (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/wiki/Young-adult_fiction) science fiction (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/wiki/Science_fiction) books, written by James Frey (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/wiki/James_Frey) and Jobie Hughes under the collective pseudonym (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/wiki/Pseudonym) Pittacus Lore."
wiki

There's a lot of information on both of these authors but James Frey is the guy who got into a lot of trouble with Oprah Winfrey. Just google his name up and you'll find out why.

Pittacus Lores' website is fascinating because "he" maintains the persona that he's a human looking ET.

Here's what "he" says on his site:

My name is Pittacus Lore. I am a Loric Elder, from the Planet Lorien, which is three hundred million miles away. I am approximately ten thousand years old. I have been to earth hundreds of times, and I am here now.

I am one of ten Elders who lived on our planet. Everyone on our planet was gifted. Compared to humans, we are incredibly strong, incredibly fast; able to do things the superheroes in your Hollywood films are capable of doing. We are also born with powers we called legacies: invisibility, the ability to control the elements, imperviousness to heat and cold, telekinesis, the gift of communication with animals, and many others. Most Loric are born with one major legacy, and develop other lesser ones. The Elders are born with all of them. Many of your human myths of people with extraordinary powers are not actually myths. They were Loric.
Earth is a planet similar to our planet, or to our planet before it was destroyed. We happened upon Earth by accident. One of our ships, which was on its way to another system where we believed there was intelligent life, had a technological failure. It started drifting through space and ended up in your solar system. When our repair ships reached it, it was orbiting Mars. We noticed Earth because of the deep beautiful blue of its water. Water is relatively common in the universe, far more common than your scientists believe it is. What is uncommon is the massive amount of it on Earth. We sent a ship to look at your planet, and discovered a healthy, beautiful, pristine environment, teeming with life. Remarkably, we saw you, human beings, who resembled the Loric in many ways, but were much younger than us. The humans were living in tribes, in caves, on open plains, along the banks of rivers, and coasts of seas. We decided to help them.
We introduced language. We taught you the basic tenets of agriculture. We provided you with simple tools, and the skills of metallurgy. We taught you how to build boats, and to sail, and to use the stars to navigate your oceans. You spread among all of the continents of the world, and societies developed, and we set a regular schedule of visits with the societies, and helped them build pyramids, and temples, and rock installations, and methods of keeping time using astrological systems, so that they would know when we were coming back. We watched from afar, and often sent in our people to live among you without you knowing.
As ancient Greece began to develop, we saw enormous potential in it. It was centrally located near the meeting point of the major land masses of Asia, Africa and Europe. It had a language and alphabet. It had fleets of ships. It had a basic system of government. It was, however, in a constant state of war. Seven of our Elders, including me, went to the country, and introduced it to more advanced ways of thinking, and set about ending the war that plagued it. We became known as the seven sages of Greece, and we have become part of the country’s history. My own role was as that of a military leader. I first announced myself in the city Mytilene, and became known as Pittacus of Mytilene. I led my army to a victory over an Athenian army, by offering to engage in single combat with the Athenian general. The winner, and his army, would be declared victorious in the battle, and the armies would not fight, preventing untold amounts of bloodshed. I took his head off with a broadsword. Sometimes in the interests of a greater peace, it is necessary to engage in isolated violence.
Once Greece was settled and thriving, we left. We had made occasional, but less frequent visits to earth. We, the Elders, decided we should let humanity find its own course, let humans make the decisions, without our influence, that would determine their fate. The societies we built were conquered. The temples and astrological installations fell into states of ruin. War and violence were the currencies of human governments, and Earth’s political systems were, and are, based on aggressive conquest. The once pristine planet was soiled, and exploited, and has begun to decay, and decline. Very occasionally one of us stayed and tried, in more subtle ways, to help humans with either technology, art or philosophy. Leonardo Da Vinci was one of us. As was Mozart. As were Joan of Arc, Thomas Edison, Winston Churchill, Picasso, Ghandi and Einstein.
I am here now because our planet has been destroyed. We had eliminated war from our own society tens of thousands of years ago. And while we were still trained in methods and strategies of war, and had the means and materials to defend ourselves, when we were attacked, we were taken by surprise. The Elders, who were responsible for the defence of the planet, were away. Our planet’s people, the Loric, were overwhelmed and defeated. When we became aware of what had happened, there was nothing left to defend. Our entire population, except for nine children and their nine guardians, was killed. The Nine fled to earth, where we hoped they would be able to hide, and grow, and develop their Legacies, and one day avenge the loss of Lorien.
They look no different than human children, and their guardians knew how to train teach and protect them. Unfortunately, the same race that destroyed Lorien, the Mogadorians (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/character-profiles/#mogadorians), followed them to earth. They have been hunting the children and have killed three of them. The six that are still alive have started fighting back. As I said, we are not human. We are capable of extraordinary things. United, the six could defeat any Army on earth. The Mogadorians (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/character-profiles/#mogadorians), unfortunately are not human either. They are vicious, bloodthirsty and ruthless. Defeating them will not be easy. Our war has come to your planet. It will either be won or lost here. There will be scenes of great carnage, where will do our best to spare humans, and protect them, though it may not always be possible. For that, I am sorry.
I will not go into the details of my life on Earth. Nor will I go into the details of how I got here, where I was when Lorien was destroyed, or what I am doing now. I am telling the story of Lorien, and the Nine, and the war with the Mogadorians (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/character-profiles/#mogadorians) so that you are aware of what is happening here, and so that you do not allow the same thing that happened to us, happen to you. I am trying to find the children and unite them. As of now, they are either hiding, or fighting alone, and I do not know where all of them are, or under what pretence they are living.
They may be walking past you right now, or sitting near you, or watching you as you read this. They may be in your city, your town. They may be in school with your children. If they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, they are living anonymously, training, and waiting for the day when they will find each other, and me, and we will make our last stand together. If we win, we are saved, and you are saved as well.
If we lose, all is lost.

http://www.iamnumberfour.co.uk/pittacus-lore/

I'm doing more research on this but I find it all very fascinating. Will comment more on this later.

Doc
11-09-2012, 05:54 PM
I liked the film I Am Number Four even better the second time I watched it. It is well cast and well written. All of the main characters have a back story and experience changes large and small over the course of the film. The heroes are heroic the villains are villainous: big explosions, a hot warrior woman, cute dog, surprises and reversals of fortune--everything I usually like!

CasperParks
11-09-2012, 07:22 PM
I liked the film I Am Number Four even better the second time I watched it. It is well cast and well written. All of the main characters have a back story and experience changes large and small over the course of the film. The heroes are heroic the villains are villainous: big explosions, a hot warrior woman, cute dog, surprises and reversals of fortune--everything I usually like!

I Am Number Four would make a good trilogy, hoping they do another two flims.

Doc
11-09-2012, 09:45 PM
I Am Number Four would make a good trilogy, hoping they do another two flims.

I hope so too. I hope they stick with the cast even though the remaining principals are relative unknowns. The folklore A99 posted above shows that the story has a lot to draw from and I could see a TV series coming out of it. The interest among younger people that Twilight and The Hunger Games generated is going to lead to Hollywood looking for more ways to cash in. We who like sci-fi and fantasy should benefit from that.

Dragonfire
11-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I want to watch it again, for the third time. Keep catching things I missed before. Great movie. And yes another would be a good thing.

A99
11-10-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm going to watch it again later this evening and yes, it was that good. I definitely think it would make a good TV series and I would not be surprised if they are working on something like that now. Will comment more later after I watch it again.

Doc
11-12-2012, 03:36 PM
The Science Channel did a Firefly marathon yesterday. They also had a Firefly Tenth Anniversary retrospective round table (recorded backstage at this year's Comic Con) with the principle cast and writers present and some interviews with other cast members who were not in attendance. It was very enjoyable and I'd say an absolute must for Firefly fans. Check listings for replays.

Edit to add: I have heard Nathan Fillion say he would go back and do Firefly again in a heartbeat, because it was the "best job" he ever had and the cast and writers were so exceptional. To hear the same enthusiasm and fond memories from Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite, Gina Torres and especially Joss Whedon was really great (and didn't just seem to be polite good manners). The scenes from their panel discussion at 2012 Comic Con were like a family reunion of the show and the fans, who were numerous and very enthusiastic. :cool:

CasperParks
11-12-2012, 04:36 PM
The Science Channel did a Firefly marathon yesterday. They also had a Firefly Tenth Anniversary retrospective round table (recorded backstage at this year's Comic Con) with the principle cast and writers present and some interviews with other cast members who were not in attendance. It was very enjoyable and I'd say an absolute must for Firefly fans. Check listings for replays.

Edit to add: I have heard Nathan Fillion say he would go back and do Firefly again in a heartbeat, because it was the "best job" he ever had and the cast and writers were so exceptional. To hear the same enthusiasm and fond memories from Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite, Gina Torres and especially Joss Whedon was really great (and didn't just seem to be polite good manners). The scenes from their panel discussion at 2012 Comic Con were like a family reunion of the show and the fans, who were numerous and very enthusiastic. :cool:

Would loved to have seen that roundtable.

Doc
11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Would loved to have seen that roundtable.

There are some clips here from the Comic Con Panel:

http://science.discovery.com/tv/firefly/

I didn't see a full episode link for the reunion show but there may be one there. :cool:

newyorklily
11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
There are some clips here from the Comic Con Panel:

http://science.discovery.com/tv/firefly/

I didn't see a full episode link for the reunion show but there may be one there. :cool:

Thanks, Doc, those clips are great. So funny! The Firefly blooper real must be hilarious (there must be one somewhere).

Doc
11-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks, Doc, those clips are great. So funny! The Firefly blooper real must be hilarious (there must be one somewhere).

It sure looked to me as though tough guy Adam Baldwin teared up at the audience response. :cool:

newyorklily
11-12-2012, 05:54 PM

I don't know why Joss Whedon doesn't do something with it, if not a whole tv show, at least make another movie of it. Has he had any big hits since Angel (Dollhouse fizzled pretty quickly)?

Hulu.com airs an episode each Monday and episode 9 should be coming out today (you can watch the whole season on Hulu Plus). How many seasons were there? Only one?

CasperParks
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't know why Joss Whedon doesn't do something with it, if not a whole tv show, at least make another movie of it. Has he had any big hits since Angel (Dollhouse fizzled pretty quickly)?

Hulu.com airs an episode each Monday and episode 9 should be coming out today (you can watch the whole season on Hulu Plus). How many seasons were there? Only one?

Lot of great clips.

newyorklily
11-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Here is an article on the Firefly Reunion Show http://io9.com/5959794/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-get-to-make?utm_source=io9+Newsletter&utm_campaign=934a3c9f4d-UA-142218-29&utm_medium=email

I hope it gets shown on Hulu.

calikid
11-13-2012, 05:41 PM
"Revolution" was more palatable last night.
Felt like real people dealing with set backs instead of superman heroics for a change.

Interesting that the preview for next week stated the upcoming episode would be featuring music by Led Zeppelin :-)

CasperParks
11-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Felt like real people dealing with set backs instead of superman heroics for a change.

Interesting that the preview for next week stated the upcoming episode would be featuring music by Led Zeppelin :-)

What Zeppelin music bed for next eposide? That's what I get for watching online at Hulu after the fact. There was no mention or previews for next week... Will have to visit nbc's regular website and look for a preview.

Doc
11-14-2012, 02:24 PM

I gave up at 10:44 of the episode a couple of weeks when it turned out that the Mom got her friend captured and tortured and his daughter abducted. I tried, God knows I tried but I just can't do it anymore. Too many people doing stupid things every week. :cool:

calikid
11-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I gave up at 10:44 of the episode a couple of weeks when it turned out that the Mom got her friend captured and tortured and his daughter abducted. I tried, God knows I tried but I just can't do it anymore. Too many people doing stupid things every week. :cool:

I find the mom segments a simple subplot device.
Something I discount and tolerate to enjoy the broader picture.
Seems I have a higher tolerance then you for such distractions. haha.
I did find it refreshing to see "the uncle" get taken prisoner rather than charge (and subdue) a large group of men armed with automatic weapons. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far...

Doc
11-15-2012, 06:18 PM
I find the mom segments a simple subplot device.
Something I discount and tolerate to enjoy the broader picture.
Seems I have a higher tolerance then you for such distractions. haha.
I did find it refreshing to see "the uncle" get taken prisoner rather than charge (and subdue) a large group of men armed with automatic weapons. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far...

After the one good week, it set me off that in the first ten minutes of the next episode Miles says to Charlie, "Don't do that, it's stupid." Charlie immediately jumps up and does it anyway. And guess what? It is stupid! (This is my surprised face. :yikes:)

The last straw was that Elizabeth Mitchell almost invariably plays the voice of reason in these series. When her character appeared to be a dunce like the rest of them, I gave up.

I swear I am not unreasonable about these things.

I lived happily through Buffy's mother dealing with finding out what her daughter's hobby was and having a fourteen year old new daughter suddenly appear from thin air. I can suspend disbelief as well as the next guy. Heck, I can ignore all the toupees and papier mache cave walls on the original Star Trek. I just can't believe that given a choice between the smart thing to do and the stupid thing to do, a band of hardy survivors can always pick the stupid thing then fumble through and live to be stupid another day. At the very least that means I always know what is coming next. At worst, it aggravates the living crap out of me. :bleh:

Edit to add: If one of these days Uncle Miles jumps up, grabs Charlie around the neck and chokes her until her eyeballs bug out while screaming in her face, "Stop it! You are killing us!"; call me, I'll come back. :cool:

CasperParks
11-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Revolution does have some major draw-backs. Seems a number of years back, there was a similar show but used an EMP to shut down electronics. EMPs are used on and off in film, TV and books. EMPs are easier to digest as reality - because EMPs are reality.

There was the mention of bow and arrows, and Hunger Games. I am not sold on Hunger Games and will not consider renting DVD until it lands on the dollar shelf at the the store. Hunger Games is a storyline that's a rehash of prior stuff. As a film base on a series of books, Hunger Games does have a pay-off of creating new readers for books.

I am giving CW's new take on the Green Arrow a few more eposides.

At first, I was let-down they had failed to use the same actor from Smallville. After a few eposides, I understand why. Producers wanted a clean-break from Smallville and took the storyline a new direction. For die-hard Marvel Comic fans they did throw out teaser by nicknaming Oliver's younger sister "Speedy". Interesting they are using the same castle / home from Smallville that Lex Luther lived in, budget cost.

A99
11-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Revolution: That all we are seeing, is the same old drill, week after week in this show i.e. the group goes after a Monroe militia group that has kidnapped its latest hapless victim where that rag-tag bunch once again comes to the rescue... a rescue that we know will be a success because they predictably are able to pull that off in their usual implausible manner in every episode,yes, week after week. IOW's, there's no suspense here because we already know the story-line and how it's going to end too! All they are doing is replacing the actors who played in those roles last week with new ones in the next episode that is recycling the same subplot with only a few tweeks here and there to make it look like it's brand new material.

So once again I'm calling it lazy and unimaginative writing and it is a real shame that these shows are like this because with all the free-lance screenwriters there are out there who are dying to get their foot in the door, Hollywood's insistence on keeping it all in the family means they are only dipping into a small pool who are churning out the same old crap,year after year. So is it any wonder why we are seeing the same basic plot-lines in each new sci-fi sub-genre that comes out each season that's being regurgitated year after year?

However, I do like the main plot-line that we are seeing in this show that they manage to weave in and out throughout each episode. The ongoing spiel about the pendant is interesting even though it's only moving at a glacial speed.. so much so, it will take YEARS before we will be able to even write a summary on that story-line that is at least a short paragraph long.

I will keep watching this show though... on Hulu so I can skip through the same old same stuff to get to the meat of the story having to do with that dang pendant.

CasperParks
11-17-2012, 05:47 AM
ABC canceled, "Last Resort" for next season.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16/last-resort-canceled-abc_n_2147316.html

Doc
11-17-2012, 03:43 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16/last-resort-canceled-abc_n_2147316.html

That was quick! Too bad.

calikid
11-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Darn. I liked that show. Any modern day sub captain with the guts to loft a nuke over DC to make a point has got to be worth tuning in too!

Doc
11-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Darn. I liked that show. Any modern day sub captain with the guts to loft a nuke over DC to make a point has got to be worth tuning in too!

ABC and Fox both are quick on the trigger with new Sci-Fi shows. I was surprised that Lost made it past two seasons.

CasperParks
11-17-2012, 08:19 PM
ABC and Fox both are quick on the trigger with new Sci-Fi shows. I was surprised that Lost made it past two seasons.

Don't think they took into account internet viewing.

Last Resort would've been a decent as a min-series. Same with The Event.

calikid
11-17-2012, 08:57 PM

Or maybe a 13 episode season format, like cable line up, would have been a better fit. A full 22 ep. Netwok season was ambitious. Difficult to press the limited premis

Doc
11-17-2012, 09:53 PM

People really trashed The Event and Flash Forward. I didn't see much wrong with either of them and thought they should have been given more of a chance. Sometimes I wonder what more people want out of these shows that would satisfy them?

Dragonfire
11-17-2012, 10:53 PM
People really trashed The Event and Flash Forward. I didn't see much wrong with either of them and thought they should have been given more of a chance. Sometimes I wonder what more people want out of these shows that would satisfy them?

And the answer is.........Drum roll................... $$$$$$

calikid
11-21-2012, 08:06 PM
REVOLUTION
With the episode named "Kashmir" they really did feature a couple of Led Zep tunes.

Story premis, O2 deprevation causes hallucinations, was news to me?!?

CasperParks
11-21-2012, 08:08 PM
REVOLUTION
With the episode named "Kashmir" they really did feature a couple of Led Zep tunes.

Story premis, O2 deprevation causes hallucinations, was news to me?!?

I was wondering about that myself.

calikid
11-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Walking Dead

Pretty creepy when Rick was taking calls on a dead phone... can you hear me now?

calikid
11-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Fringe
Ep "Five Twenty Ten".
So what is Walter going to do with "the cylinders"?

Why is Peter's hair falling out? Implant failure?

CasperParks
11-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Fringe
Ep Five Twenty Tem
So what is Walter going to do with "the cylinders"?

Why is Peter's hair falling out? Implant failure?

Observers are bald...

Wait I am almost bald too! :yikes:

I missed last week's eposide and it is locked for free internet viewing until Saturday.

calikid
11-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Observers are bald...

Wait I am almost bald too! :yikes:

I missed last week's eposide and it is locked for free internet viewing until Saturday.

Well, most programming is reruns this week due to the holiday so you are in for a treat (new viewing material) while the rest of us await the next episodes.

BTW. I just purchased Fringe season 4 online (was also available in store) at BestBuy for $9.99 (regular $45USD) with free shipping. I think sale ends today(Sunday). Such a deal!

Doc
11-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, most programming is reruns this week due to the holiday so you are in for a treat (new viewing material) while the rest of us await the next episodes.

BTW. I just purchased Fringe season 4 online (was also available in store) at BestBuy for $9.99 (regular $45USD) with free shipping. I think sale ends today(Sunday). Such a deal!

We took Friday as a stay home and rest day. The TV pickings were awful, boring old crapola. Of the current stuff we are only watching Haven, Grimm, and Once Upon A Time. The rest lost me this season. We are looking forward to the new SYFY series which seems to be a Post Apocalyptic V or something. Over the holidays we have to rent and watch a bunch of films we missed lately. We have a backlog of six or seven at least. :cool:

calikid
11-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Walking Dead

Talk about sleeping with the enemy.... when is Andrea going to get a clue?

Wow. When the guy with the bandage on his nose and a bayonet for a hand is THE GOOD COP, you know the writers have achieved some high tension!

Things appear to be set for an exciting episode next week.

CasperParks
12-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Night Claws, I will pass on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz0kPdeBvkc
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bigfoot - vrs Alice Cooper,
and Barry Williams from the Brady Bunch,
and Danny Bonaduce from the Partridge Family.
Based on star power, I will catch it in the dollar rental section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6LbLpnPvcE

Doc
12-01-2012, 12:34 AM
You've heard of Straight to DVD ? That one looks like Straight to SYFY Channel ! :biggrin2:

CasperParks
12-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Person of Interest is like Trapwire on steroids.

Premise, everyone is being watched. Cameras, phones and whatnot are recorded and interlinked through the “Machine”, and prone to being monitored.

As if preparing and getting people used to having daily lives monitored. That they are fighting crime gives it the edge of a good thing. In reality, having daily lives monitored is not a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfVndEtDyY

I doubt the show is part of a larger conspiracy. It is simply a sign of the times.

I admit watching the show from time to time.

Information on Trapwire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8aQzVC1jlU

calikid
12-02-2012, 07:00 PM
I like the actor who plays Mr Reese.
Caveziel?
Played Jesus in that Mel Gibson bible movie.
Talented fellow.

Person of Interest is like Trapwire on steroids.

Premise, everyone is being watched. Cameras, phones and whatnot are recorded and interlinked through the “Machine”, and prone to being monitored.

As if preparing and getting people used to having daily lives monitored. That they are fighting crime gives it the edge of a good thing. In reality, having daily lives monitored is not a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfVndEtDyY

I doubt the show is part of a larger conspiracy. It is simply a sign of the times.

I admit watching the show from time to time.

Information on Trapwire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8aQzVC1jlU

Sent from my SCH-R730 using Tapatalk

Doc
12-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Jim Caviezel is also in Outlander, a sci-fi film I liked very much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlander_%28film%29

calikid
12-03-2012, 01:12 PM
This could be fun....

'Battlestar Galactica' returns online

By Topher Kohan and Henry Hanks
"Battlestar Galactica," Syfy's reimagining of the 1978 TV series, stands as one of the most successful sci-fi franchises of the past decade.

Once the critically acclaimed show ended its run in 2009, fan interest in more adventures didn't waver.

Unfortunately, the first spinoff, "Caprica," only lasted one season, but another potential series, "Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome," showed promise.

Now, more than two years since "Caprica" ended, fans are finally able to see the pilot for "Blood and Chrome" on YouTube's Machinima Network (eight parts have been posted).
Story Continues (http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/30/showbiz/bsg-online-series/index.html?iref=allsearch)

CasperParks
12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Jim Caviezel is also in Outlander, a sci-fi film I liked very much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlander_%28film%29

I watched that one, it was good.

Doc
12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
This could be fun....

'Battlestar Galactica' returns online

By Topher Kohan and Henry Hanks

Now, more than two years since "Caprica" ended, fans are finally able to see the pilot for "Blood and Chrome" on YouTube's Machinima Network (eight parts have been posted).
Story Continues (http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/30/showbiz/bsg-online-series/index.html?iref=allsearch)

Looks interesting. I was one of the people who thought it had been rejected. I think they are ahead of the curve as to where entertainment is going. I hope it is successful. I liked all of Battlestar, even the parts people hated and I thought Caprica was OK, a bit draggy, but should have gotten more of a chance. :cool:

(and that is post #2000)

newyorklily
12-07-2012, 06:15 AM
The trailer for the new Star Trek movie looks awesome.

http://youtu.be/diP-o_JxysA

CasperParks
12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
The Walking Dead

Not into Zombie stuff, overkill the past few years. End of the world stuff, I do enjoy.

Based on recommendations from the group, I broke-down and rented seasons one and two of The Walking Dead. Video store employees had confirmed it was worthy of my time.

It was worthy…

I do not have pay TV, and will have to wait until season three is on DVD before able to watch it. I did hop skipped through season three clips at the show’s website. Looks good.

Doc
12-07-2012, 09:58 PM
The Walking Dead

Not into Zombie stuff, overkill the past few years. End of the world stuff, I do enjoy.

Based on recommendations from the group, I broke-down and rented seasons one and two of The Walking Dead. Video store employees had confirmed it was worthy of my time.

It was worthy…

I do not have pay TV, and will have to wait until season three is on DVD before able to watch it. I did hop skipped through season three clips at the show’s website. Looks good.

It is surprisingly good. Zombie films/stories when they are done well are stories of regular people faced with impossible situations and how they deal with what cruel Fate puts in front of them. People have to forage, scout, fight, tend the wounded and sick, plan, lead others, and sometimes kill friends or loved ones. The finale of Season Two would be over the top and unbelievable had the actions of the characters over two years not led to that conclusion. That is not just a Zombie show, it is Drama. It is Tragedy.

I'm glad you are enjoying The Walking Dead.

calikid
12-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Walking Dead

Something in your eye Governor?

calikid
12-08-2012, 03:26 PM
The trailer for the new Star Trek movie looks awesome.

http://youtu.be/diP-o_JxysA

Dead link?
Might just be my smart phone :-(

Doc
12-08-2012, 05:23 PM
I watched the first one again last weekend. I still get a chuckle over Karl Urban not so much playing Bones McCoy as he is playing DeForest Kelley playing Bones McCoy.

calikid
12-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Just a country doctor Jim. :-)

Doc
12-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Just a country doctor Jim. :-)

Un--believable. :biggrin2:

CasperParks
12-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I watched the first one again last weekend. I still get a chuckle over Karl Urban not so much playing Bones McCoy as he is playing DeForest Kelley playing Bones McCoy.

A cherished, chance encounter.

In 1992, I met De Forest Kelly in the lobby of a doctor's office. His wife was there for a follow-up. I was there with someone who had needed a ride to the same doctor's office.

De Forest Kelly was really nice and had taken time to talk with me.

Having grown up without a father at home, Bones was one of several TV Personalities I looked up too. Meeting him in real life was an honor. I thanked him for that.

He must have encountered fans at every turn. I wanted to give him something more.

I noted his western boots and brought up horses. He owned a ranch and enjoyed talking about horses.

In real life, he had lived up to expectations.

Yeah, I did score his autograph.

Beneath his signature, he wrote: "Live long and prosper".

Doc
12-08-2012, 10:46 PM
You were lucky, indeed! I always thought he looked like a nice guy. My grandmother was a huge fan of his but she couldn't resist saying every so often that she thought that he looked like a guy who enjoyed a cocktail or three. :biggrin2:

Garuda
12-09-2012, 05:28 AM

In 1992, I met De Forest Kelly in the lobby of a doctor's office. His wife was there for a follow-up. I was there with someone who had needed a ride to the same doctor's office.

Having grown up without a father at home, Bones was one of several TV Personalities I looked up too. Meeting him in real life was an honor. I thanked him for that.

He must have encountered fans at every turn. I wanted to give him something more.

I noted his western boots and brought up horses. He owned a ranch and enjoyed talking about horses.

Nice story! :thumbup:

My wife once shared a flight (from Madrid to Brussels) with Jonathan Frakes when he was touring Europe to promote Star Trek: Insurrection (which he directed).

I've still got a boarding pass that he signed "To Manuel. Go Boldly!" :)

CasperParks
12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Nice story! :thumbup:

My wife once shared a flight (from Madrid to Brussels) with Jonathan Frakes when he was touring Europe to promote Star Trek: Insurrection (which he directed).

I've still got a boarding pass that he signed "To Manuel. Go Boldly!" :)

Using stuff like Live Long and Prosper, and Go Boldly shows that cast members care about fans.

I think Frakes spends most of this time behind camera now.

newyorklily
12-09-2012, 10:38 PM
There is a new show scheduled for ABC. http://tbivision.com/news/2012/12/abc-orders-ufo-series-from-shaftesbury/20407/

ABC orders UFO series from Shaftesbury
by Peter White

December 6, 2012
US network ABC has ordered Weird Desk, a supernatural drama from Canadian producer Shaftesbury, straight-to-series.
The UFO-based series will air next summer and has been given a 13 episode order.
This comes after Shaftesbury, run by Christina Jennings, launched a US division last year and appointed former Columbia TriStar Network Television president Tom Mazza and senior development executive Maggie Murphy to run it.
Weird Desk, which has been described as similar to The X-Files, was written by Stargate’s Carl Binder and The Librarian’s David Titcher and follows a clandestine unit tasked with solving real-life mysteries from this world and beyond. It will be exec produced by Mazza and Murphy.
Weird Desk will be distributed internationally by Disney Media Distribution.

I wonder who is going to be cast for the roles of Kit Green and Ron Pandolfi? :angel_not:

A99
12-10-2012, 02:40 AM
I can't watch any sci-fi stuff and this includes zombie and horror movies either.
I have to sleep with a light on in my room every night.
And, for the most part, I can't remember anything about my life in detail except in sweeping generalities. I can say that this or that happened at this or that point in my life, on a very sporatic basis, but I have completely forgotten all the details. And the things I do remember ... I can't understand why I DO remember them and in so much detail too. But they are the kind of things that stand out like isolated tree's in a barren and desolate forest; the kind of tree's that want to reach out and grab you. And I can't understand why this is because it's the same kind of stuff, the scary and bad stuff that I've been very good at forgetting hence why I've never been one to hold grudges because soon enough I forget what it was that caused me so much annoyance and/or pain.
Yet, just when I thought I finally found my peace where I thought I had moved on even though I knew not what it was that I had moved on from... how is it that only now over the past few years where memories, I never even knew I had, have been bubbling up to my consciousness where I'm only now beginning to finally understand... so much?

calikid
12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Fringe

Peter pulled the implant? For love?
Way NOT to commit Peter.
IMO Winmark (the observer) must pay for his evilness....

calikid
12-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Speaking of Star Trek autographs, reminded me of this sitcom funny clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhHTdDqoBc

CasperParks
12-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Speaking of Star Trek autographs, reminded me of this sitcom funny clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhHTdDqoBc

That is funny...

Doc
12-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Even funnier because it is so close to true! :biggrin2:

calikid
12-16-2012, 06:38 PM
FRINGE
Black Blotter
Walter trippin'
A baldie (appearing) baby?
How does this come together?

CasperParks
12-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Vin Diesel as Vision in Avengers two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAj-cCrzQcg

Doc
12-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Indiana Jones: Mystery of University of Chicago package solved Dec. 18, 2012 | 2:08 p.m.
http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/ij1_ia_101_r.jpg?w=600&h=401 (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/08/31/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-damon-lindelof-indiana-jones-love-letter-free-screening-lost-star-trek-harrison-ford/ij1_ia_101_r/)Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) in “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” (Lucasfilm)

The origins of the mysterious package that showed up Wednesday at the University of Chicago admissions office addressed to Henry Jones Jr. (a.k.a. Indiana Jones) has been solved.
In the end, it wasn’t a prank or a promotional stunt on the part of Lucasfilm or even a bizarre trans-dimensional crack in the line between reality and fiction.
It was a simple accident.

Read the rest of the article here: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/12/18/indiana-jones-mystery-of-university-of-chicago-package-solved/

newyorklily
12-19-2012, 03:01 PM
An accident, yes. But it was really cool the way all of that fell into place. Thanks for that, Doc.

CasperParks
12-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Fringe is down to three eposides left. Did not see Fringe on TV listings, but only able to look through Jan 4th 2013. Appears it will be a long wait. Previews for next eposide did look good.

calikid
12-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Fringe is down to three eposides left. Did not see Fringe on TV listings, but only able to look through Jan 4th 2013. Appears it will be a long wait. Previews for next eposide did look good.

Cannot help but wonder if we will see everything tied up in a neat little package, or will it be open ended with hopes of a theatrical follow up (ala Xfiles)??

Goodness forbid the two universes both rip apart and everybody dies. Haha never happen. I expect a "Happily ever after". How about you?

CasperParks
12-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Cannot help but wonder if we will see everything tied up in a neat little package, or will it be open ended with hopes of a theatrical follow up (ala Xfiles)??

Goodness forbid the two universes both rip apart and everybody dies. Haha never happen. I expect a "Happily ever after". How about you?

Fringe producers said, "The final eposides wraps everything together, answers questions and will leave viewers pleased".

calikid
12-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Fringe producers said, "The final eposides wraps everything together, answers questions and will leave viewers pleased".

Can't say I've been happy with the progression over the seasons.
What started out with Olivia being hard boiled damaged goods (due to Walter's kiddie cortexifan trials) with her deeply immersed in her FBI work devolved into becoming a kinder gentler maternial figure & handing off the main protaginist role to Peter.
IMO an unfortunate turn of events that spoiled a formula that was working.

How does that saying go? "If it aint' broke, don't fix it".
To late. Damage done.

I did enjoy those first couple of seasons. Best we can hope for (IMO) isn't a great finale.... simply one that is not too bad.

Doc
12-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Can't say I've been happy with the progression over the seasons.
What started out with Olivia being hard boiled damaged goods (due to Walter's kiddie cortexifan trials) with her deeply immersed in her FBI work devolved into becoming a kinder gentler maternial figure & handing off the main protaginist role to Peter.
IMO an unfortunate turn of events that spoiled a formula that was working.

How does that saying go? "If it aint' broke, don't fix it".
To late. Damage done.

I did enjoy those first couple of seasons. Best we can hope for (IMO) isn't a great finale.... simply one that is not too bad.

I see it pretty much the same way. It turned into the Peter Show after they wrote Olivia into Death By Boredom. They also were wearing out Walter's schtick, although John Noble could probably do the show as a monologue and people would watch. The final revelation to me was the introduction of the Red Olivia from the other side. She was so much more interesting than "our" Olivia that it pointed up to me what they might have done with Olivia, but did not do. Then it seemed as if they ran out of ideas that fit the original theme and started going to the dartboard. Too bad. I will remember Fringe fondly for what it was and might have been. :cool:

Edit to add: I'm grateful when we even get a finale to Sci-Fi shows, satisfying or not. I remember friends being furious at the surreal ending of The Prisoner. I was glad they didn't just stop in mid-story as so many do.

calikid
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Funny that science channel is re running Fringe * starting over with season one. A friend was tellkng me how he had just discovered fringe... I told him if only he had seen the earlier episodes (thinking he was watching the current drek) only to be surprised that he was indeed enjoying the goodness that once was...

Doc
12-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Funny that science channel is re running Fringe * starting over with season one. A friend was tellkng me how he had just discovered fringe... I told him if only he had seen the earlier episodes (thinking he was watching the current drek) only to be surprised that he was indeed enjoying the goodness that once was...

I envy those newbies just a little. I caught up with 24 at Season Three and had One and Two to rent and enjoy. :)

calikid
12-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Fringe ep 511 Anomaly XB~6783746 on last Friday.
Previews said 3 episodes left in the series.
Starts in 3 weeks. 01\11\13.

Hope we are not headed for a cosmic reset.
Ta Da. It was all a dream.

CasperParks
12-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Fringe ep 501 Anomaly XB~6783746 on last Friday.
Previews said 3 episodes left in the series.
Starts in 3 weeks. 01\11\13.

Hope we are not headed for a cosmic reset.
Ta Da. It was all a dream.

That is what I am expecting.

CasperParks
12-31-2012, 06:03 AM
Kurt Vonnegut classic novel, Timequake (Kilgore Trout).

There's been a timequake. And everyone—even you—must live the decade between February 17, 1991 and February 17, 2001 over again. The trick is that we all have to do exactly the same things as we did the first time—minute by minute, hour by hour, year by year, betting on the wrong horse again, marrying the wrong person again. Why? You'll have to ask the old science fiction writer, Kilgore Trout. This was all his idea.

newyorklily
01-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Wow! I just found out that there was a Turkish Star Trek.

http://youtu.be/APBjyBKq86k

calikid
01-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Wow! I just found out that there was a Turkish Star Trek.

http://youtu.be/APBjyBKq86k

I'll bite..... what's a Turkish Star Trek?
Oh wait, the video isn't showing up, but I see the link now.....

newyorklily
01-05-2013, 03:37 AM
I'll bite..... what's a Turkish Star Trek?
Oh wait, the video isn't showing up, but I see the link now.....

Turkish Star Trek - Made in Turkey, in Turkish, with a Turkish cast.

CasperParks
01-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Hulu is running Enterprise, prelude to original Star Trek. Gotten through series opener and eposide three. Unsure if I will watch addtional eposides, so far the ones I've watched are free.

Here is the link: Hulu, Enterprise (http://www.hulu.com/#!star-trek-enterprise).

Garuda
01-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Hulu is running Enterprise, prelude to original Star Trek. Gotten through series opener and eposide three. Unsure if I will watch addtional eposides, so far the ones I've watched are free.

Here is the link: Hulu, Enterprise (http://www.hulu.com/#!star-trek-enterprise).

193 full episodes of Star Trek can be watched for free on http://www.startrek.com/videos. The selection is from TOS (The Original Series), TAS (The Animated Series) and ENT (Enterprise).

CasperParks
01-05-2013, 08:43 AM
193 full episodes of Star Trek can be watched for free on http://www.startrek.com/videos. The selection is from TOS (The Original Series), TAS (The Animated Series) and ENT (Enterprise).

I did not know that, thanks.

calikid
01-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Will have to look see if TOS is the new hi rez version with the updated graphics...

Fore
01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV78FXIeewM

Doc
01-09-2013, 05:23 AM
Will have to look see if TOS is the new hi rez version with the updated graphics...

Higher resolutions of the TOS let you see the cardboard walls of some of the sets and the net at the edge of every hairpiece (and there were a lot of hairpieces). They didn't have to worry about those things on shows made for old CRT TVs. An old, pilled raggedy sweater or a battered old desk looks as good as new in low res. :biggrin2:

Doc
01-09-2013, 05:36 AM
If you have not seen Primeval, the UK TV Sci-Fi series about anomalies that allow creatures from the past to invade the present, you may be able to find it on cable where you live. Primeval is being run from the first episode here on KCET, an independent station that was PBS for a long time. The show has drama, comedy, a bit of romance and graphic monster effects from the people who did Walking With Dinosaurs.

newyorklily
01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Here is a little sneak peek of some of the Sci-Fi TV shows scheduled for 2013 http://io9.com/5973778/the-ultimate-guide-to-2013s-science-fiction-and-fantasy-tv?utm_source=io9+Newsletter&utm_campaign=18039f4ae4-UA-142218-29&utm_medium=email

I like the sound of The Following, Zero Hour, Cult, and Defiance.

Doc
01-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks, Lily. I didn't know about some of those.

calikid
01-12-2013, 05:39 PM
FRINGE
Ep S05E11 The Boy Must Live

Found Donald\September and he has hair!!!

calikid
01-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Next week on FRINGE

S05E12 Liberty; An Enemy of Fate
A 2hour series finale. Next Friday 1\20

calikid
01-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Higher resolutions of the TOS let you see the cardboard walls of some of the sets and the net at the edge of every hairpiece (and there were a lot of hairpieces). They didn't have to worry about those things on shows made for old CRT TVs. An old, pilled raggedy sweater or a battered old desk looks as good as new in low res. :biggrin2:

The HiDef\Bluray rerelease.of TOS had all the graphics updated with modern CGI. VERY cool improvements without changing the story.

Stuff like the Enterprise orbiting a planet.... much improved. I watched a few Eps at the local cinema. IMPRESSIVE on the big screen. No cardboard apparent.

CasperParks
01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Friday, January 18th 2013 is the two hour final episode for Fringe.

calikid
01-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Friday, January 18th 2013 is the two hour final episode for Fringe.

No big surprises. Revisited many past characters. At least Olivia was featured nicely for the entire episode.

Doc
01-20-2013, 06:30 PM
The HiDef\Bluray rerelease.of TOS had all the graphics updated with modern CGI. VERY cool improvements without changing the story.

Stuff like the Enterprise orbiting a planet.... much improved. I watched a few Eps at the local cinema. IMPRESSIVE on the big screen. No cardboard apparent.

I'll have to take a look at that. Good use of tech.

Doc
01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
I watched the new show Continuum on SYFY last Monday. It has some interesting time travel and time paradox elements, along with an appealing female lead character. It quickly turned into a cop show, though, and the previews suggest it will stay a cop show. Give it a look. Maybe you will like it.

I also watched the return episodes of Being Human and of Lost Girl. Being Human seems to have recaptured some of the fun it had before I got tired of it. In fairness, they were using stories from the UK series that I had already seen done with a terrific cast. (Being Human has the distinction of having had the single most interesting single episode of TV fiction I ever saw. The one where the ghost girl is helping a stage psychic and her mother shows up in the audience and asks to contact her. I thought it was edge-of-seat suspenseful, truthfully emotional and very well done.)

Lost Girl seems to be losing its way into stories that are stupid or repetitive. That may be just me. I get cranky when the writing seems to be turning out stories that require every character to be stupid for the plot to work and I hate fake sex with almost-nudity. Fake bi-sex even more so. Gag. I'll still watch for now but mostly because it is the only thing on at that hour...but if anything else shows up, I'm gone. :bleh:

Garuda
01-21-2013, 05:01 AM
On Google+, this article was recommended in one of the communities: 5 Sci-Fi shows you should be watching.

They are:
- lost girl
- haven
- Grimm
- falling skies
- continuum

http://www.nerdlikeyou.com/sci-fi-shows-you-should-be-watching/

CasperParks
01-21-2013, 05:51 AM
On Google+, this article was recommended in one of the communities: 5 Sci-Fi shows you should be watching.

They are:
- lost girl
- haven
- Grimm
- falling skies
- continuum

Grimm is the only on the list I have watched.

If Haven is on DVD at video store, will rent disk one and check it out.

calikid
01-21-2013, 02:34 PM

They are:
- lost girl
- haven
- Grimm
- falling skies
- continuum

Well I have only seen Falling Skies, although my son has recommended Lost Girl.

They have been advertising the heck out of a new series called "The Following", premiers tonight with Kevin Bacon.
Sounds more horror/cop than SciFi, but could be entertaining.

newyorklily
01-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Grimm is the only on the list I have watched.

If Haven is on DVD at video store, will rent disk one and check it out.

Haven is on hulu.com if you can access that in your area.

newyorklily
01-21-2013, 02:50 PM

They are:
- lost girl
- haven
- Grimm
- falling skies
- continuum

I love Grimm and Haven. I haven't seen Lost Skies but it is nice to know that a UFO/alien show made the list.

Doc
01-24-2013, 02:13 PM
I love Grimm and Haven. I haven't seen Lost Skies but it is nice to know that a UFO/alien show made the list.

I think you meant Falling Skies. I have watched it from the beginning and I enjoy it. It is more character driven and the people are interesting enough to make me want to know what happens to them.

Haven seems to have found itself after drifting for a while. The story arc of "The Troubles" has become more prominent and the end of season cliffhanger left me wanting to know what happens next.

Grimm has a lot of appealing elements but it seems to push implausible things too far at times, like the main characters not noticing things that would seem fairly obvious. The characters are interesting enough, especial the wolf guy that helps the main characters and sometimes is the most interesting thing going on.

The second episode of Continuum was encouraging. Although it is still pretty much a cop show with time travel, it has potential and some interesting ideas.

I also watched the premier of The Following, Kevin Bacon's new network show. It turned out to be a serial killer story with cult involvement. It had a little too much killing of innocent people for me to find it enjoyable and it has many of the same old plot lines and setups that have been done a thousand times. I'll pass on this one.

Fore
01-24-2013, 04:59 PM
The entire season 1 of Continuum has already aired and you can find it in some places.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4552/invisibility.gif

calikid
01-26-2013, 09:07 PM
I think you meant Falling Skies.
I also watched the premier of The Following, Kevin Bacon's new network show. It turned out to be a serial killer story with cult involvement. It had a little too much killing of innocent people for me to find it enjoyable and it has many of the same old plot lines and setups that have been done a thousand times. I'll pass on this one.

There was a lot of graphic violence, but the alcoholic nature of the the main character, and the references to Edgar Allen Poe promises some intrigue.
I may watch another episode or two... just to give it a chance.

calikid
01-26-2013, 09:10 PM
The Last Resort.... series finale.

I was wondering if this would be a series finale, or something they already had in the can as a season 1 cliff hanger, prior to the series cancellation. Not a bad episode, the season had more the feel of a mini-series than a regular series. Not a bad thing. :cool:

CasperParks
01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
The Last Resort.... series finale.

I was wondering if this would be a series finale, or something they already had in the can as a season 1 cliff hanger, prior to the series cancellation. Not a bad episode, the season had more the feel of a mini-series than a regular series. Not a bad thing. :cool:

A number of these new science fiction shows coming out, most are better to run as a mini-series verses long term shows. The Event comes to mind, where they left everyone hanging at the end. Waiting to see if NBC takes Revolution off the bench.

CasperParks
01-27-2013, 05:07 AM
PBS Masterpiece Contemporary
The Last Enemy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv0FxouK5ts
trailer

Click here to watch at Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/68784#i0,p0,d0#i0,p0,d0)

From Hulu discription: Episode one: Returning to England for his brother's funeral, Stephen Ezard(Benedict Cumberbatch) falls in love with his brother's widow, Yasim (Anamaria Marinca), becomes a pawn in a government surveillance scheme and pursued by a crazed rogue agent (Robert Carlyle). Episode two: Stephen and Yasim join forces with rogue agent Russell to get to the bottom of a bio-weapons conspiracy that may be connected to a government surveillance program called Total Information Awareness (TIA).

Another Big Brother is watching type of show.

PBS Masterpiece Contemporary the Last Enemy, I have not watched as of yet. Hulu has five episodes listed.

Doc
01-27-2013, 03:37 PM
A number of these new science fiction shows coming out, most are better to run as a mini-series verses long term shows. The Event comes to mind, where they left everyone hanging at the end. Waiting to see if NBC takes Revolution off the bench.

The Event ending so abruptly was a game changer for me. I don't want to get invested in a series if it looks to me like it will be cancelled. V got cancelled just as it was going in a new direction. Flash Forward was an original idea, also cancelled to soon. The Last Resort looked like something with no Act II so I never got into it. Some series need time to grow, like Haven. It is a shame that economics determines what stays and what goes as much as it does.

CasperParks
02-01-2013, 04:30 AM
Person of Interest on NBC took an interesting turn today.

calikid
02-01-2013, 01:21 PM
SNIP [/video]

Looks like "Dark Skies" could be a good movie.
Funny they would pick a movie Title that has already been used as a TV series Title.

calikid
02-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Person of Interest on NBC took an interesting turn today.

Last 5 seconds. One scrap of paper. One familiar name. Will it fly as a story arc?

CasperParks
02-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Collision Earth - Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnWiT9BJiyQ

Anyone seen this?

newyorklily
02-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Some of these I agree with, some I don't. What do you think?

http://io9.com/5981949/10-most-incompetent-space-captains-in-the-universe?utm_source=io9+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e46e5bda46-UA-142218-29&utm_medium=email (http://io9.com/5981949/10-most-incompetent-space-captains-in-the-universe?utm_source=io9+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e46e5bda46-UA-142218-29&utm_medium=email)

10 Most Incompetent Space Captains in the Universe
Charlie Jane Anders
Space is an unforgiving medium. Out there, in the tractless depths, the slightest mistake can be fatal for everybody. And that goes a hundredfold for mistakes by commanding officers. A single mistake can mean the death of hundreds, if not millions, of people. And there are plenty of commanders and captains who've failed, dramatically, when they tried to sit in the Big Chair.

Doc
02-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Some of these I agree with, some I don't. What do you think?

http://io9.com/5981949/10-most-incompetent-space-captains-in-the-universe?utm_source=io9+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e46e5bda46-UA-142218-29&utm_medium=email (http://io9.com/5981949/10-most-incompetent-space-captains-in-the-universe?utm_source=io9+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e46e5bda46-UA-142218-29&utm_medium=email)

I agree with most of those, too. A couple of them I have not seen. The author is definitely an Uber Geek and the commenters there are even geekier. One of the great things about the internet is that it has made interesting statements possible, such as: "I'm embarrassed to admit I know this stuff." :bleh:

calikid
02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Walking Dead season premier last Sunday

The brothers reunited.
A ghost makes an appearance.
The newbies wander off....
What up with Michone?
What up with Andrea?

newyorklily
02-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I just watched the first episode of a new show on ABC called Zero Hour. It stars Anthony Edwards as the editor of Skeptic Magazine who finds himself on a search for his kidnapped wife. His search leads him to clocks made in Nazi Germany, a location in the Arctic Circle and people who want to bring about the end of the world.

You can watch it here http://www.hulu.com/zero-hour

I thought it was really good and has a lot of promise.

calikid
02-15-2013, 08:53 PM
I just watched the first episode of a new show on ABC called Zero Hour. It stars Anthony Edwards as the editor of Skeptic Magazine who finds himself on a search for his kidnapped wife. His search leads him to clocks made in Nazi Germany, a location in the Arctic Circle and people who want to bring about the end of the world.

They have been running Ads like crazy on my TiVo. Good to hear it may be worthwhile.

calikid
02-17-2013, 07:27 PM
The TV series.
Unsealed: The Conspiracy Files
2/9/13 Remote Viewing
Nice Segment on Ingo Swann, fitting tribute

Doc
02-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Walking Dead season premier last Sunday

The brothers reunited.
A ghost makes an appearance.
The newbies wander off....
What up with Michone?
What up with Andrea?

Episode 1 repeats today followed by Episode 2. I'm ready. Got my Zombie Whacker handy, too.

calikid
02-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Episode 1 repeats today followed by Episode 2. I'm ready. Got my Zombie Whacker handy, too.

Oddly it seems it was a mid season premier.
Looking at S03E09 & S03E10.
Have Ep10 on TiVo. Gonna watch L8tr 2day. :)

Doc
02-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Oddly it seems it was a mid season premier.
Looking at S03E09 & S03E10.
Have Ep10 on TiVo. Gonna watch L8tr 2day. :)

Thanks for that correction. I meant to write first and second instead of the ay it turned out.

The Walking Dead started off with a bang and quickly got back to its usual brisk pace and high emotion.

I don't get what is up with Andrea either. I keep hoping she will shoot the Governor in the head...he's a nasty little sociopath like Shane.

calikid
02-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Walking Dead S02E10

Talk about some POOR SHOTS.
Sure fired a LOT of rounds with little effect (I counted one on each side fall).
And why the heck did "they" pull out when they did? Dropping a load of "biters" and hitting the road?
Seemed like the team (generic to avoid spoiler) with the advantage could have stayed and finished it.
Maybe it will make sense next week.....

Doc
02-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Walking Dead S02E10

Talk about some POOR SHOTS.
Sure fired a LOT of rounds with little effect (I counted one on each side fall).
And why the heck did "they" pull out when they did? Dropping a load of "biters" and hitting the road?
Seemed like the team (generic to avoid spoiler) with the advantage could have stayed and finished it.
Maybe it will make sense next week.....

Terrible hit ratio. That's TV. Lotsa bang, bang no results.

calikid
02-26-2013, 01:42 AM
Watched "Dark Skies" the movie today.
Tense, thriller. Nice piece of work.

Played to an empty house (me and one other guy in the whole theater). Go figure.

"The facts of life. Death, taxes, and the Grays."

calikid
02-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Walking Dead S03E11

So WHY did the Governor let Andrea go to the prison?
Test her loyalty? Get Intel on Rick?

Is Rick back for good?
What's up with Rick taking Carl (coming soon scenes) on a run? Father/Son zombie killing time?

CasperParks
02-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Watched "Dark Skies" the movie today.
Tense, thriller. Nice piece of work.

Played to an empty house (me and one other guy in the whole theater). Go figure.

"The facts of life. Death, taxes, and the Grays."

I had wondered if that film included the Greys.

CasperParks
03-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Series, Revolution returns in March 25th 2013.

Doc
03-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Walking Dead S03E11

So WHY did the Governor let Andrea go to the prison?
Test her loyalty? Get Intel on Rick?

Is Rick back for good?
What's up with Rick taking Carl (coming soon scenes) on a run? Father/Son zombie killing time?

The Governor wanted intel and was testing Andrea's loyalty. Rick is back for good? Yeah, probably. Carl is having to grow up too soon. Rick is accepting it, as much as he doesn't want it to be necessary.

calikid
03-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Walking Dead Ep. 0312 "Clear"

"I know you see things Rick. For awhile I talked to my dead boyfriend. It happens." (Michone)

Interesting seeing the character from season 1 make a guest appearance.

CasperParks
03-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Friday March 8t, 2013:

"Face Off", Grimm opening episode after hiatus was best one yet! Series has good character development, decent premise and interwoven plotlines. Filming in the Pacific Northwest Rainforests adds depth. Rain or shine producers, writers, directors, actors and production crew continue delivering. Most recent episodes at NBC-Grimm (http://www.nbc.com/grimm/video/)and Hulu–Grimm (http://www.hulu.com/#!grid/grimm?video_type=episode).

Doc
03-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Friday March 8t, 2013:

"Face Off", Grimm opening episode after hiatus was best one yet! Series has good character development, decent premise and interwoven plotlines. Most recent episodes at NBC-Grimm (http://www.nbc.com/grimm/video/)and Hulu–Grimm (http://www.hulu.com/#!grid/grimm?video_type=episode).

It seemed as if they stepped the writing up about six episodes back. They have me interested in what happens next. Monroe is still the best thing in the show but he has competition now from Renard, Adelind and Juliette. I wish Nick had more than one facial expression...but I suppose that is nitpicking. :bleh:

newyorklily
03-11-2013, 06:46 PM
There is a new alien invasion movie being released at the end of the month. It is from a book written by the author of The Twilight Saga and it looks like it is geared towards young people. Will this type of movie bring young people into the field of ufology?

http://youtu.be/MhzylLce9eE

calikid
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
I was channel surfing about 2am, saw a show listed on Science Channel (missed the show) called "Alien Encounters", said it was Season 02 Ep 02.
Something to do with giant motherships.

Season 2? Did not know there was a season 1?!?!

Anyone watching this series? Any good?
Found VERY few references on Google, couple of poor reviews, but not even sure they were referencing the same show...

Doc
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I was channel surfing about 2am, saw a show listed on Science Channel (missed the show) called "Alien Encounters", said it was Season 02 Ep 02.
Something to do with giant motherships.

Season 2? Did not know there was a season 1?!?!

Anyone watching this series? Any good?
Found VERY few references on Google, couple of poor reviews, but not even sure they were referencing the same show...

They show episodes regularly, often two at a time. Much of the content is the usual old cases recycled, with old and new interviews and commentary. There is some new content and some new conclusions and theorizing about the old cases. Over all,it is nicely packaged, not sensationalized or dismissive of the material. Long time enthusiasts won't see much they had not seen before in other sources but it does have the potential to draw in some new people to UFOlogy.

newyorklily
03-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Well, this has been cancelled already, after only three episodes aired.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/01/zero-hour-canceled_n_2794162.html

Doc
03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Well, this has been cancelled already, after only three episodes aired.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/01/zero-hour-canceled_n_2794162.html

I forgot when it was on and missed the second episode, then forgot all about it. Did they promote it at all?

newyorklily
03-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I forgot when it was on and missed the second episode, then forgot all about it. Did they promote it at all?

I don't know because I don't have TV. I watch everything on hulu.com.

calikid
03-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Walking Dead Sunday 3-17-13 S03Ep14 Prey
Only 2 Episodes left this season

SPOILER ALERT

Whoa. Thought the torture chair was for Michone.
Surprised to see "you know who" strapped in.
What's next for the Governor? Will he live to see Season 4?
Who burned the biters in the pit?

Doc
03-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Walking Dead Sunday 3-17-13 S03Ep14 Prey
Only 2 Episodes left this season

SPOILER ALERT

Whoa. Thought the torture chair was for Michone.
Surprised to see "you know who" strapped in.
What's next for the Governor? Will he live to see Season 4?
Who burned the biters in the pit?

The Governor may not have gotten out of the factory "in one piece". I'm pretty sure the new guy with the grudge against the other new guy burned them go cast suspicion on his "enemy". I think the Governor is in the express checkout line. :rolleyes:

calikid
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
The Governor may not have gotten out of the factory "in one piece". I'm pretty sure the new guy with the grudge against the other new guy burned them go cast suspicion on his "enemy". I think the Governor is in the express checkout line. :rolleyes:

My money is on the govenor's nerdy side kick.
Think he is realizing just how far round the bend govn. Has gone & may even plan a takeover with himself or andrea. (If she survives) as the new leader. Stay tuned!

calikid
03-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Series, Revolution returns in March 25th 2013.

Spring Mid-season Premier (4 months later)
Monday 10pm on NBC

What caused the blackout?

What IS Miles & Rachel's history?

Now that Rachel is free of Monroe, what will she do about the Tech she delivered into Monroe's hands?

I WANT TO KNOW!!!

Doc
03-23-2013, 04:03 PM
I may give Revolution another try.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Continuum has gotten far more involved and interesting.

calikid
03-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Unsealed: Conspiracy Files
S01E12 Top Ten Conspiracies of all time

10 Moon landing hoax
09 MK Ultra
08 Area51
07 HAARP
06 Chem Trails
05 NWO
04 Jesus was married
03 Roswell NM
02 Hitler's Death (faked?)
01 JFK Assassination

Fun show. Repeat shown last night.

newyorklily
03-25-2013, 12:38 AM
For those of you who are Star Trek fans, Hulu is making available, all episodes from all five series, (and all free) through March 31. You can watch them here http://www.hulu.com/browse/picks/star-trek

calikid
03-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Walking Dead

OMG. Another main character BITES the dust!
Is no one safe in this series?!?!

Only one episode left this season. Who's next on the chopping block?

Doc
03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
BBC America is running a marathon of Primeval Season 4 today. It won't be shown again for a while so if you are interested it is running through the mid afternoon.

Doc
03-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Via email, Victor reminds us:

https://gfx6.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr04/ltr/emo/secret_telling_smile.gif

The Hit TV Show "REVOLUTION" Returns Monday, 3-25-2013 ...
HELP US TAKE BACK THE POWER! @ 10 p.m. on Mondays!

"REVOLUTION" ... HELP US TAKE BACK THE POWER @ 10 p.m. on Mondays!

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2070791/

calikid
03-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Evil Dead (remake)

The return of the Necronomicon.
We're gonna get you.... April 5, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnr7_DuJk4

Can it be as good or better than the original/classic WITHOUT Bruce Campbell?

calikid
03-27-2013, 02:06 PM
REVOLUTION Premiere

I'll try to stay short of outright spoilers.

So we spend the entire first season searching for this lost main character.
Find him (or her) and the very next/first episode kill the character off (albeit in heroic fashion)?
Tough to invest with that kind of attrition.

Good action sequences. Helicopter gun ships, rocket launchers, machine guns. Shoot 'em up!
And a new bad guy in league with Monroe.
May prove to be an interesting series after all. :)

CasperParks
03-27-2013, 04:36 PM
REVOLUTION Premiere

I'll try to stay short of outright spoilers.

So we spend the entire first season searching for this lost main character.
Find him (or her) and the very next/first episode kill the character off (albeit in heroic fashion)?
Tough to invest with that kind of attrition.

Good action sequences. Helicopter gun ships, rocket launchers, machine guns. Shoot 'em up!
And a new bad guy in league with Monroe.
May prove to be an interesting series after all. :)

It does appear to be improving.

Doc
03-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Dr Who has a new Companion. She will do. Nicely.

calikid
04-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Dr Who has a new Companion. She will do. Nicely.

She IS quite pretty. Next question... can she act?

Doc
04-07-2013, 05:37 PM
She IS quite pretty. Next question... can she act?

If last night's episode is any measure, she can act. Very natural and poised, plays off Matt Smith well, especially in the comic banter.

calikid
04-09-2013, 07:03 AM
They show episodes regularly, often two at a time. Much of the content is the usual old cases recycled, with old and new interviews and commentary. There is some new content and some new conclusions and theorizing about the old cases. Over all,it is nicely packaged, not sensationalized or dismissive of the material. Long time enthusiasts won't see much they had not seen before in other sources but it does have the potential to draw in some new people to UFOlogy.

Well they replayed S01Ep01 of "Alien Encounters" last night.
It featured Whitley Shrieber & Audrey Hewins.

I must say Whitley was was MUCH more believable telling his story in his own words than the movie Communion. The movie was fantastic/over the top. His story/explanation seemed sincere.

Audrey's tale was pretty hair raising. Stuff of nightmares.
Not bad for a series opener.

calikid
04-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Episode of Unsealed: Alien Files on Saturday was good.
They featured "The Blue Planet Project"

Advertised as "The Alien Encyclopedia", it was a story about an alleged government scientist who had cataloged Alien lifeforms in a book/secret government publication. Seem to recall "60 different types of aliens" was mentioned.

Garuda
04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
In the UK, a 're-imagining' is planned of "Blake's Seven," which was one of my favourites growing up.

Doc
04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
In the UK, a 're-imagining' is planned of "Blake's Seven," which was one of my favourites growing up.

Never saw the original but British TV in general and Sci-Fi in particular always gets a look from me. I like the general theme and the "dystopian future" never really gets old and probably resonates more during hard times. This story sounds like a darker "Firefly" which never got a real shot and has a legion of fans eager for a sequel to its feature film "Serenity". Maybe the time is right for a reboot or re-imagining Blake's 7. I am careful about getting invested in any of these new, good-sounding shows, especially since I just read about two good Sci-Fi series have been cancelled from British TV in recent years after only one season, not because of low ratings but due to shortage of funds to keep them on the air.

Garuda
04-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Never saw the original but British TV in general and Sci-Fi in particular always gets a look from me. I like the general theme and the "dystopian future" never really gets old and probably resonates more during hard times. This story sounds like a darker "Firefly" which never got a real shot and has a legion of fans eager for a sequel to its feature film "Serenity". Maybe the time is right for a reboot or re-imagining Blake's 7. I am careful about getting invested in any of these new, good-sounding shows, especially since I just read about two good Sci-Fi series have been cancelled from British TV in recent years after only one season, not because of low ratings but due to shortage of funds to keep them on the air.

The BBC just ran an article on the new show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22079232

Doc
04-09-2013, 05:13 PM
The BBC just ran an article on the new show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22079232

Thanks for the link! Here is a teaser from the article:

Blake's 7: Classic BBC sci-fi to return on Syfy channel http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66822000/jpg/_66822890_66820227.jpg

Four series of the show aired on the BBC between 1978 and 1981

Cult classic sci-fi series Blake's 7 is to be remade for the Syfy network, it has been announced.
FremantleMedia International said 13 hour-long episodes will be written by Heroes writer Joe Pokaski.
It added, in a statement (http://www.fremantlemedia.com/news/news-detail/13-04-08/FremantleMedia_International_Launches_Georgeville_ TV%E2%80%99S_Remake_of_Cult_Series_Blake_s_7_To_MI PTV_Buyers.aspx), that Casino Royale and Goldeneye director Martin Campbell was also on board.

whoknows
04-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Hey there only 6 of them!:confused:

Seriously though I liked it back then and would be interest to see it again all dressed up as it were. I think the old show only had maybe 2 or three sets hehe j/k.

Doc
04-09-2013, 06:20 PM

Seriously though I liked it back then and would be interest to see it again all dressed up as it were. I think the old show only had maybe 2 or three sets hehe j/k.

Early Dr. Who seemed like cardboard sets and monsters made from trash bins on wheels. Don't get me started on all the hair pieces in Star Trek. :biggrin2:

Garuda
04-09-2013, 06:28 PM

The Seventh was 'Zen' - the artificial intelligence that ran the ship.

whoknows
04-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Early Dr. Who seemed like cardboard sets and monsters made from trash bins on wheels. Don't get me started on all the hair pieces in Star Trek. :biggrin2:

LOL Yeah but it was what made those shows, well in Dr. Who and B7 anyway there was enough substance to the scripts to carry the deficiency in sets I thought.

whoknows
04-09-2013, 06:57 PM
The Seventh was 'Zen' - the artificial intelligence that ran the ship.

I liked Holly better;)

whoknows
04-09-2013, 07:00 PM
:yikes:Hmmm that's interesting 2 111 post

Now three 112's I'm gonna log out and see what happens LOL

Doc
04-10-2013, 03:24 AM
More Blake's 7:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/miptv-briefs-fremantle-shops-blakes-7-the-face-renewed-itvgse-deals-more/

FremantleMedia (http://www.deadline.com/tag/fremantlemedia/) is launching sales here in Cannes on the remake of Blake’s 7 (http://www.deadline.com/tag/blakes-7/). Developed by Syfy (http://www.deadline.com/tag/syfy/), the 13-part series is produced by Georgeville TV and Marc Rosen, written by Joe Pokaski (Heroes) and directed by Martin Campbell (Casino Royale). Syfy made a script-to-series commitment (http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/syfy-to-develop-remake-of-cult-u-k-sci-fi-series-blakes-7-with-martin-campbell/) back in August of last year on the reboot of the cult British sci-fi series. Originally created by Terry Nation (Doctor Who), Blake’s 7 premiered on the BBC in 1978 and ran for four seasons. Georgeville acquired the rights to the franchise from Andrew Sewell and his company B7 Media with funding provided by Motion Picture Capital. The reboot sees seven criminals – six guilty and one innocent – on their way to live in a prison colony in space. When they acquire an alien ship, they get a second chance at life and to become the most unlikely heroes of their time.

calikid
04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
REVOLUTION

Monday's show was informative.
Now we know WHY the power went out, I'm still not clear what the heck this "tower" they keep talking about has to do with it.
Guess every quest needs a destination.

The rebels were pretty sloppy letting their prisoner escape. BTW, how DID he do that?

Doc
04-10-2013, 02:58 PM
REVOLUTION

Now we know WHY the power went out, I'm still not clear what the heck this "tower" they keep talking about has to do with it.

The rebels were pretty sloppy letting their prisoner escape. BTW, how DID he do that?

Sloppy writers ? :bleh:

CasperParks
04-10-2013, 05:55 PM
REVOLUTION

He used a rivet pin from the chair. Reality, it is doubtful a rivet pin of that size is small enough to pick open handcuffs.

calikid
04-11-2013, 03:13 AM
He used a rivet pin from the chair. Reality, it is doubtful a rivet pin of that size is small enough to pick open handcuffs.

I saw the prisoner drop a 16d nail looking thing at the end of the scene....

minor SPOILER alert

...... but WHERE did the sword come from?
Was not clear on if he pulled it from behind his back (accomplice?), or took it away from the guard (maybe I blinked/lame guard)?
Either way, weak plot twist.