Thread: New Zealand X-Files : Official “fib”, superiors “mystified”, + Kaikoura “whitewash”

New Zealand X-Files : Official “fib”, superiors “mystified”, + Kaikoura “whitewash”

As the latest item in a series of related posts, I've uploaded searchable PDF files containing over 2,000 pages of New Zealand UFO documents to a free file storage website ("WeTransfer") at the link below:
    http://we.tl/PVkqH6QCsI

I’ve also uploaded the same material to the Box.com link below (and, unlike the above link, it will remain active after 24 June 2013). Unlike the above link, the Box.com link below allows you to download single files (in case you only want to view a sample file or download a specific reference) or you can simply click on the "Download" button at the top right of that webpage to download all of the files with a single click).
    https://www.box.com/s/9cd4zovsxcrskj9l30kk

In short, use the Wetransfer link above if you want the entire collection and it is before 25 June 2013. Use the Box.com link above if you only want a single file or it is after 24 May 2013.

Some highlights from that collection are given in my lengthy post at the link below.
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread952911/pg1

(I'm still uneasy about posting a link here to another forum, so if any moderator wants to delete that link then that's fine. I'd be happy with that entire post being duplicated here. It's just the time and effort involved that make me post the above link instead).

That lengthy post is split into the following sections:

SECTION A : THIS BRIEF INTRODUCTION

SECTION B : BACKGROUND - UFOS OVER NEW ZEALAND

SECTION C : THE FILES RELEASED IN 2010

SECTION D : THE OTHER OFFICIAL FILES

SECTION E : DON’T ALARM THE WOMEN : CAPTAIN RAINBOW SIGHTING (1955)

SECTION F : THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! - MORELAND HUMANOID ENCOUNTER “FIB” (1959)

SECTION G : SIGHTING BY TWO AIRCRAFT CREWS (1961) - SUPERIORS MYSTIFIED

SECTION H : UFO INVESTIGATIONS COMMITTEE (1970s)

SECTION I : KAIKOURA LIGHTS “WHITEWASH” (1978)

SECTION J : “WE ALWAYS KNEW WE WERE ON SHAKY GROUND”(1984)

SECTION K : “THERE IS ALSO A CLASSIFIED FILE”(1985)

SECTION L : BRUCE CATHIE

SECTION M : CONCLUSION

SECTION N : REFERENCES

SECTION O : POSTSCRIPT

I wonder how many members of the UFO community are familiar with the content of these documents, including:

(1) While the official New Zealand files released online in 2010 generated quite a bit of media coverage, none of the reports in the main stream media appear to have mentioned that several files were not included in that release of material. Some of the further files are available at archives in New Zealand for anyone that wishes to take photos of them.

(2) A well-reported sighting by the crew and some of the passengers of an aircraft in 1955 could have had more witnesses, but the male pilot and other male witnesses didn’t want to alarm the women on board.

(3) An investigation of one reported close encounter in 1959 resulted in the investigator concluding that the occupant of a flying saucer may have been shouting in Russian. The report was accordingly classified and media requests for relevant documents were met with a refusal on the basis of an alleged promise to the witness to keep the relevant sighting report confidential. However, the internal documents now available reveal that in fact the officials writing the relevant correspondence were aware that there was not any such promise in relation to that sighting. The recipient of the correspondence has referred to the reply he received as a “fib”. I’d be interested in hearing whether other people consider the word “fib” to be accurate and adequate in the light of the relevant internal documents.

(4) One sighting in 1961 left a pilot, and his superiors, “mystified”.

(5) The official files contain a considerable volume of material on the well-known Kaikoura lights documents, including comments from military personnel expressing the view that the official New Zealand investigation into that sighting was a “whitewash”.

(6) The New Zealand authorities had previously refused to release various documents, even when their internal documents stated that “we always knew we were on shaky ground” in doing so.

(7) One intriguing handwritten annotation on a memo written in 1985 in relation to an enquiry from prominent UFO author Timothy Good states “There is also a classified file”.

I've said it before (please forgive my repeating myself...): I think that ufology could benefit considerably from making more underlying documentation easily available in a searchable format.

Isaac, I couldn't agree more. There is a newer generation becoming involved and some of the older literature is not well known or often referred to currently. We welcome any "underlying documentation" or historic records related to UFOlogy and related phenomena. Similarly we welcome discussion of older, sometimes nearly forgotten, cases. Anyone who needs format of uploading assistance, contact a staff member.

It is good to see you here!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Isaac, I couldn't agree more. There is a newer generation becoming involved and some of the older literature is not well known or often referred to currently. We welcome any "underlying documentation" or historic records related to UFOlogy and related phenomena. Similarly we welcome discussion of older, sometimes nearly forgotten, cases. Anyone who needs format of uploading assistance, contact a staff member.

It is good to see you here!
    Education is key.

Newyorklily states it well; "Disclosure begins at home so start a conversation about UFOs".