Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foo Fighter Footage: For Real or Fake for Fun?

Did your 59 have the flip up turn signals on the door post? First time I saw one of those was in 64 Mexico City, thought that was so cool! Would love to have a 55 Karmann Kabriolett!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I believe the cornerstone for the factory was laid in May 1938. Production was set for 1939, but the war got into the way (at that point other war time production took precedence). I think you will find ProblemChild is correct on the actual production re-starting in 1945, with full ramp up in 1946 under the watchful eye and guidance of the British.

I loved my old 1959 Beetle... with a "reserve tank" and no fuel gauge. It was a tank in the snow!

M

I always did that is situ, every two months with oil change. only dropped the engines when I need to change the heads usually between 30 to 50 thousand if I was lucky and hadn't been to ruff on them, maybe throwout bearing or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    Yeah, I used to have to drop the engine every 7-8 weeks to adjust the lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemChild View Post
    Didn't think Beetles were produced untill after 1945. Seems like a waste of CGI.
    The underframe for the carriage was used for the version that looked like a jeep and continued to be sold long after the war. The basic VW served well and my first two vehicles were the bus version. Without a real heater, driving them in Minnesota Winters was a challenge. I loved them, good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by whoknows View Post
    Did your 59 have the flip up turn signals on the door post? First time I saw one of those was in 64 Mexico City, thought that was so cool! Would love to have a 55 Karmann Kabriolett!

Nothing that exciting on my old bug (the lever was on the steering wheel). It did have a "canvas sun-roof"...

@Dragonfire... Sometimes, you didn't need a friend. I ran it to empty once, I steered and pushed it to a gas station all by my lonesome (easy to do on level ground). Ah... the good ole days! I would be happy to have that old car back!

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...