Thread: Webb telescope

Webb telescope

Now that it's been active for a month What would you suggest the Webb telescope look at?
    If it were up to me I would mainly focus on exoplanets in the habitable zone and then maybe work on examining systems that may host possible exomoons such as Kepler-1625 and Kepler-1708.
    My inner Mulder wants to believe, but my inner Scully remains skeptical.

It would be nice if they would look at interesting sites within our solar system as well. Things like Iapetus, or the Face on Mars and the entire Cydonia valley.

Before they launched it, they said they would be able to detect possible cities on exoplanets circling Alpha Centauri/ So, that would be a good thing to investigate, too.

In other words, it would be nice to have more information on our immediate galactic neighbourhood, too.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    It would be nice if they would look at interesting sites within our solar system as well. Things like Iapetus, or the Face on Mars and the entire Cydonia valley.

Before they launched it, they said they would be able to detect possible cities on exoplanets circling Alpha Centauri/ So, that would be a good thing to investigate, too.

In other words, it would be nice to have more information on our immediate galactic neighbourhood, too.
    Agreed...

Good idea. There have been some pictures made of Jupiter with it I believe, but some observation of Uranus, Neptune, and maybe even Pluto would also be good.
    If there is an undiscovered planet in our solar system the size of Mars or bigger would Webb be able to find it or even possibly confirm its existence?

I totally agree with viewing Iapetus, that "moon" has never looked natural to me.

Think looking at our solar system has to be a priority.
    What about Jupiter's Europa and Mars' Phobos where Buzz Aldrin said there was a monolith?
    Phobos is also distinctly wierd in shape.

Weren't there rumours that Webb was going to bring astounding news... the implicatations seemed to me that it might involve confirmation that life existed on other worlds?!? No sign of anything like that yet
    Last edited by Longeyes; 08-15-2022 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Longeyes View Post
    Think looking at our solar system has to be a priority.
    What about Jupiter's Europa and Mars' Phobos where Buzz Aldrin said there was a monolith?
    Phobos is also distinctly wierd in shape.

Weren't there rumours that Webb was going to bring astounding news... the implicatations seemed to me that it might involve confirmation that life existed on other worlds?!? No sign of anything like that yet
    With WEBB I firmly believe that evidence for life on other planets will come within a decade. There have been some observations of the Trappist system, but I think they said it could take up to a full year to do a complete analysis.

NASA James Webb Space Telescope

Tour the Crab Nebula

Rho Ophiuchi Video Tour

Tour the Webb Telescope’s Pillars of Creation