View Poll Results: Would you still want to know the future if you could do nothing to change it?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like to know everything, even if I couldn't prevent it.

7 53.85%
  • No, the stress of knowing, but not being able to do anything would be to much.

2 15.38%
  • It would have to be on a case by case basis.

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precognition - Would you still want to know the future if you could do nothing to change it?

Precognition - Would you still want to know the future if you could do nothing to change it?

If you had the ability to know the future, but once you knew it then you could do nothing to change it, would you you still want to know? The best possibility would likely be to know exactly what the outcomes of any choice you make would be, and then pick the one that has the best results, though I imagine we would all pick that option. But to know every unpleasant thing that will ever happen in your life and then be absolutely powerless to prevent these things from happening would be too much for me. However it would be nice to be able to know SOME future events (mostly relating to the world at large rather than anything personal) and I would still like to have answers to these questions even if they may not be the answers I would like to hear.
    Last edited by Wally; 08-01-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Nice one Wally.

I would want to know.

I may not be able to stop it from raining tomorrow, but I would want the opportunity to prepare by packing an umbrella.
    Same thing with "the big things"... mitigation through preparation.

And if it's "the big one", take notice and spend my last hours with family and friends.
    It was fun while it lasted.... hold me close for the time we have left, and I'll see you on the other side!

Many of us don't have noble, life fulfilling vocations.
    How sad it would be to spend your last hours on earth at a banal job when you could have been in the company of loved ones.
    Yes, precog for me.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

The further I think on it I would rather not know some of the bad stuff that the future may bring, though knowing of good future events would be something nice to look forward to.

I would be interested in the future of planets and star systems but not any being in particular.
    Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all.
    -Arthur Balfour

There may be some proof of precognition although the experiment doesn't seem to have been replicated I thought it was and was based on earlier research but Dr Daryl Bern s experiments are controversial. It may only be fractions of a sec or seconds in advance but if it stands it still contradicts any known scientific explanation

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.VX9JWoF4WK0

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Bem
    Last edited by Longeyes; 06-16-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Longeyes View Post
    There may be some proof of precognition although the experiment doesn't seem to have been replicated I thought it was and was based on earlier research but Dr Daryl Bern s experiments are controversial. It may only be fractions of a sec or seconds in advance but if it stands it still contradicts any known scientific explanation

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.VX9JWoF4WK0

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Bem
    My own experiences do indicate precognition of up to 20 seconds, I discovered this at work finding circuit defects under the microscope, I'd get into an almost meditative state and would sense what I would see seconds ahead, usually 10 seconds or so.

Me too I've noticed it on quite a few occasions, seeing stuff a few seconds in advance. After intense periods of meditaion it happens more frequently.

interestingly last year Daryl Bern published a new paper doing meta analysis of all the 90 retrials of his experiment from 30 labs in 14 countries. Which he showed proved a statistically positve result. I think if I'm reading the data right 1.4 to 1,000,000,000 chance that it's not a fluke.
    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=2423692
    Last edited by Longeyes; 06-17-2015 at 08:38 AM.

I believe the idea of precognition is more of a statistical analysis of events leading up to that point, at least from a scientific stand point. For someone to say they have/can see the future whether its months, days, milisec into future, i feel makes an even louder statement that there is a plan for everyone...or fate. possibly even the belief of a higher being setting our life in a linear pattern. However the scientific stand point, ive had my moments of pattern recognition, whether it be a conscience effort or sub, behavior of people...with this info i have on more than one occasion known how an event would go down b4 it actually happened...and on multiple occasions let things play out just to see if it did go down that way, and was usually always right.
    With that being said, I feel precognition is something everyone can do with practive.
    If you must argue, remember that it is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.